User Tag List

Thread: Resale on 6 MPS???

1. Default Resale on 6 MPS???

I've been to a few dealers as I'm looking at updating my car. It's a 6MPS leather pack. The trade in values have been abysmal, even the original Mazda dealer can't come close to matching my residual.

Is this normal? I've been to about 5 dealers now, all the same. Offers range from 17k to 21K, which is poor for a 3 YO MPS 6.

I'm going to either sell it privately or keep it at this stage, but I'm wondering if the wholesale prices are out of wack or will I have trouble shifting the car?

Sell it privately is my opinion...if you must sell

Hey cs123, sell it privately, easily you will get $4K or more than a trade in price. I sold mine privately in less than 4 weeks on carsales, had a few nibbles then sold it within a week of an enquiry.

Got to remember that a dealer will need to make some margin off a trade in and then they add whatever work needs to be done, warranty etc etc etc.

When Dad sold his, they offered him $15k at first, then went to $18k.
    But he kept pushing, told them a figure and if they could match it, he'll buy the new car from them.
    Eventually they gave him what he wanted.
    I know how much they sold the car for, and believe me, they didn't make much money on it.
    However, they must have relied on making good money from the new car sale.

It all comes down to 2 things.
    How much they are making on the new car the'll sell.
    And
    How badly they want to sell a new car.

One dealer i know well always gives significantly higher trade values than any other dealer around. He also sells a lot more new cars than anyone else.
    He relies on low profit - high volume.
    Other dealers work on high profit - low volume

5. Default

The only reason for selling is the mrs wants a 4WD. It's coming up to end of lease too. So that was the reason for shopping around.
    I'm thinking if I can't get a reasonable price I'll keep it. It's a great car to drive.

how many kms does yours have? i would try and sell it privately even if you get a couple of grand extra its better in your pocket !

i have my on carsales for 23k with 92,000 kms luxury pack .. been down at this price for a month and no calls

plenty of used ones between 17 -24 so yea unless you wanna give it away can take time to find a buyer..

7. Default

If you can afford to get the 4WD and keep it, thats what I would do. I love driving mine too and cant imagine not having it

The 6 MPS is 4WD! What's your mrs on about?!

Trade in prices are always rubbish but if the private resale is still too low then just keep it, theres no other car on the market like it. you've gotta pay twice as much to get anything close from another manufacturer.
    Last edited by Reedy; 12-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kovmps6 View Post
    how many kms does yours have? i would try and sell it privately even if you get a couple of grand extra its better in your pocket !

i have my on carsales for 23k with 92,000 kms luxury pack .. been down at this price for a month and no calls

plenty of used ones between 17 -24 so yea unless you wanna give it away can take time to find a buyer..

Mines done 53K and I've got it advertised for 27,400 but I'll obviously go lower. The best trade in is 5K lower with a few around 18K. What &*&%$ me of is that new car dealers just get a wholesale price. None of them, even Mazda, are interested in buying the car to sell themselves.

I think it's the sort of car that would only appeal to someone specifically looking for a 6 MPS, so the market will be smaller.

I love the car to drive, this was just an opportunity to move it, but not at those prices. Might be time for a few "enhancements"...

sell it privately unless you're good with haggling.
    the whole point of the dealers industry is about buying low and selling high.

Private sale ftw. Just watch out for scams. If someone says they are in Milan atm and buying the car for there wife as a suprise and agree straight away when you give them your "best price" they are running a scam (I had two identical emails from 2 different email addresses on my last car). Most likely the one where they give you say 30k for a 27k car on the basis you pay that 3k to another account for them as shipping handling service blah blah fees. And then the 30k they put in your account bounces straight back out and you are short 3k.

I agree about trade in being rubbish. Dealership I wanted to by the 6 from said they would give me maybe $500 off there already overpriced car. Although the gearbox was a bit shoddy so I bet they just would have refused in the end ahhhh well.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    Private sale ftw. Just watch out for scams.
    Yeah, I had two petroleum engineers interested in it. I asked the second one if he worked on the same rig