User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Shifters and CP-e rear mounts on MPS 6 (2006)

Default Short Shifters and CP-e rear mounts on MPS 6 (2006)

hey all!

was wondering if anyone had any advice for fitting a CP-e rear engine mount in a MPS6? i have aquired a new torque wrench to do the job properly. any hints and tips?

also short shifters. im after one to reduce the throw distance, but not the height. i read that some brands are incompatible with the standard airbox? is this a problem with all short shifter brands in the MPS6? also want to do solid bushings while short shifter is going in.

first up is a CP-e mount tho

thanks for your help everyone.

Ice

Contact 2XS Racing (Troy) for your SSP

2XS Racing | Facebook

or

check the site vendor section of forum.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Didn't use a torque wrench when installed a mates mount, although if you have one it is probably better. As Duglet mentioned above Troy will be able to help you out and I'm sure you'll be happy with the reasonable price and short-shift feel it offers. Many who have installed the 2XS SSP have been more than happy with the results

thanks for the info

will pm troy

can wait to get these mods going. been told the rear mount makes and insane difference.

The rear mount would have to be the best noticable mod.

The mount does make quite a difference. You'll be surprised just how much

Mine was installed without a torque wrench initially, but it went in for a service less than a week later and I asked the techs at the dealership to check the torque settings on it and ensure it's at the suggested 70nm. I did notice a drop in vibes when correctly torqued (initial install would have been more than 70nm I'm guessing).

However you install it, make sure you re-check it in about a week's time as it may loosen a little initially. Some guys here have used a dab of locktite when installing. I didn't bother, but it an option if you're worried about it

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

70nm aye?

not wanting to question but are you sure?

i swear i read somewhere that its 98nm thats all?

i wish i didnt have to buy xmas presents and move house at the same time, else the mount would be in transit by now :P

Ice

Quote Originally Posted by IceValk85 View Post
    70nm aye?

not wanting to question but are you sure?

i swear i read somewhere that its 98nm thats all?

i wish i didnt have to buy xmas presents and move house at the same time, else the mount would be in transit by now :P

Ice
    I don't know the torque value for the 6MPS (I'll look it up), but you could well be right. The 6MPS has a very different rear mount to the 3MPS, and with the transfer case and AWD dynamics the differences go way beyond just the shape of the engine mount.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Looked at the manual and on the 6MPS rear engine mount the engine side bolt torque value is 85.3 to 116.5 nm. The crossmember side bolt is 93.1 to 116.6 nm.

Gone to Volvo

thanks very muchly mate so go for a value in between those and should be spot on i suppose

im looking forward to a new mount. arrrrg the first gear banging round in the engine bay is so hard to control. its like fighting a rampaging bull with rubber bands!

Instructions that come with the cpe mount say 70nm. Most likely because the mount is a fair bit firmer than stock. Overtightening it will cause unnecessary vibrations. I know this first-hand

FYI. I just checked and the instructions that came with the 6MPS mount (different to the 3MPS one) says 68 to all bolts.

And I can recommend the 2XS short shift.

excellent information people

i didnt even think that the mount would come with its own instructions :P

How does the 2XS S/Shifter differ from or offer advantages over others routinely in use for MPS6's?
    I know to some degree it is a matter of opinion and personal useage and experience, but I currently have no issues at all with my clutch or gearbox smoothness, so I am looking for something that will complement rather than degrade the status quo. I'm keen to reduce shift stroke but not at the expense of applied effort, and preferably no reduction in stick height. I'd also like it to be a straightforward and reversible mod if possible. I'm not into hackling up stock parts where it is avoidable.
    Thx guys.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Hi Doug, pretty sure the 3's and the 6's are the same with respect to shift plates (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here please)

The 2XS SSP:

- will significantly reduce shift throw and give it a nice notchy feel. A few have equated it to the sort of feel you get from an MX-5, which I would agree with (have just install a 2XS SSP and my wife drives an MX-5 )
    - won't alter stick height....at all
    - took about 20mins to install for even a numpty like me (including removal of the stock airbox).
    - is 100% reversible at any stage

It's also cheap, and Aust made. For the price, I'd say it's worth getting just to try.

Not sure what it's like on the 6's, but I myself, wasn't completely happy with the stock shift feel, especially from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. It wasn't as smooth as it should be. Hence why I went the engine mount first (which cleaned up the shift feel), and then went the SSP.

If you're not having any issues with shift feel currently, I can't see how the SSP would introduce them.

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks Dan. I'll research further. Happy to hear views and experience from all. I know Mal has one installed - I can't recall the brand - is it TWM? .

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Thanks Dan. I'll research further. Happy to hear views and experience from all. I know Mal has one installed - I can't recall the brand - is it TWM? .
    Yeah Doug it's a TWM stage 1 which retains stock shifter height. I've considered adding a shifter plate to reduce the throw even more but I just haven't got around to it. If you're getting one I'll jump in with you and make it a pair.

Gone to Volvo

Doug - I have the 2XS ssp installed on my car and love it. Height is unchanged but the throw is much shorter IMO. Your welcome to take it for a test drive on the next cruise if you like.

No worries Doug

It's worthwhile noting that the 2XS style shift plates (SSPs) are diff from the short shift boxes that replace your gear stick (like the TWM).

The SSPs attach in your engine bay to the stock shift assembly under your air box (its just a bit of metal that overlays your stock shift plate). Hence why it does nothing to reduce the shifter height inside the car etc.

The SSPs can be used in conjunction with TWMs to further reduce shift length though. I'd say one or the other would be enough for most people though

Dan

Good feedback. Thanks. I'd like to have a look at both setups next time we meet, mechanically as well as to "feel". The under-bonnet-only mod of the 2XS has obvious appeal, as it avoids removing the interior gearshift console. I have good access to my gearbox and shift mechanism as I have no airbox there, only my FMIC plumbing. My remaining concern is with regard to any increase in effort. Not that I'm a 90lb weakling or anything, and I also drive a 4WD with much heavier shift, but I quite like the light effort requirement of the current OEM setup. Depending on what path I choose to go down, I'm happy to participate in a group buy.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Another consideration in relation to shift "feel" is to upgrade the shifter base bushings from rubber to solid bushes. It's a cheap mod and there are absolutely no detrimental affects. It's one of mods you forget is there, which tends to indicate what an inherently good idea it is.

The TWM ss I have retains all the stock shifter components. It's merely a bracket with a ball stud that relocates the end of the shifter cable to shorten the throw.

I'm a little concerned about adding a shift plate and shortening the throw too much in relation to the lateral displacement through the gate and ending up with a shift pattern that lacks symetry. But I'm not so concerned that I wont try it.

Gone to Volvo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast