User Tag List

Thread: Spare Key

Default Spare Key

Has anoybody had to get another key made/ordered, I only have the one and would like to get a spare, anyone have any ideas on price or which mazda dealer to go to?

Not sure what Mazda will charge for a new electronic key. They'll no doubt charge you to program it as well. Give them a call, they'll be able to tell you.

Cheaper option, take your key to a key cutter and get a standard one done. Far cheaper, and great when you go to the beach ... Can go swimming with it unlike the electronic one.

I lost mine in the first week, what an idiot ! Quote from Mazda approx. $500 to 600 including programming............ consequently I still only have one key

Guys what about this...

Good old ebay! - Just for reference, more on ebay to find the right one...

Can get the key cheap and there are places that will rig up the correct frequency and the likes for you. There is an automotive lock smith local to me. I assume you guys could find somewhere similar? Look into it as I believe it is possible and cost effective...

Mazda is at least $400 plus programming and count yourself lucky, my CBR600RR is $4000.00 if I lost that key!!

Hope that helps

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Yeah the $500 mark is what I got quoted when I was asking after a spare as mine got sold to me with only one key...

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    Not sure what Mazda will charge for a new electronic key. They'll no doubt charge you to program it as well. Give them a call, they'll be able to tell you.

Cheaper option, take your key to a key cutter and get a standard one done. Far cheaper, and great when you go to the beach ... Can go swimming with it unlike the electronic one.
    Are you sure that works? most keys have some sort of immobiliser built in. so without the electronic key id be suprised if you can start it.

Quote Originally Posted by cotn View Post
    Are you sure that works? most keys have some sort of immobiliser built in. so without the electronic key id be suprised if you can start it.
    As long as the key is cut properly, what's the difference?? they don't put an electronic pulse into the ignition. I had one cut for mine, so that I could leave the main key in the car, lock it and take the cut key out with me when I'd go for a surf. It unlocked/locked the car with no worries, so starting it should be no different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again