User Tag List

Thread: 2011 mps with auto

1. Default 2011 mps with auto

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know thru industry gossip if the 2011 mps will come in auto? As a family man who also likes sports cars an auto option would be brilliant. For all you guys with kids, you will know that sometimes you need free hands to deal with them. I believe it would lift MPS sales as it covers a lot more demographics ie. not just single 20+ will buy it but families as well as most women I know prefer auto's.

2. Default

I dont prefer auto

no way to auto,it is a sports car why would you ruin it with an auto.you shouldn't be dealing with kids while your driving anyway.

My wife wouldn't be seen dead in an auto.

There have been some rumours Mazda are playing with the idea of a DSG style gearbox in their cars, is this what you've heard in relation to the 2011 gossip?

The downsides I find to DSG's are getting the launch right and the fun that you can have in a manual, there are however plenty of positives, particularly the lightening fast gear changes!

Quote Originally Posted by lazza32 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know thru industry gossip if the 2011 mps will come in auto? As a family man who also likes sports cars an auto option would be brilliant. For all you guys with kids, you will know that sometimes you need free hands to deal with them. I believe it would lift MPS sales as it covers a lot more demographics ie. not just single 20+ will buy it but families as well as most women I know prefer auto's.
    CX7, your closest option.

a dsg option would be ok but it would have to be darn good,but just a ordinary auto no go for me,manual all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by BradstaMS View Post
    CX7, your closest option.
    Now I remember, I read somewhere that Mazda will be offering an Auto Option for their Diesel variants in 2011 (3,6, CX7), didn't read anything about MPS' with autos though.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

Mazda would need some massive R&D to get it to work and at a decent cost...DSG would be good but the price isnt!

I don't think an automatic MPS would do anything to sales, at least nothing significant enough to justify the development.
    Unless...... They bought ot a new 6 MPS. Then an auto would be a good option to have.
    I thing the majority of hot hatch owners would pick manuals, GT owners (like the 6) 50% of them would go manual.
    VW i think can get away with DSG pretend manuals because most of the GTi's i've seen are driven by old people or yuppies that aren't game enough to try a MPS

11. Default

Just remember guys when I say auto it is at least an option. For all those who want manual it will still be there. The VW GTi has auto so does the Ralliart, so does Aston Martins, so does BMW 135(twin turbo). Just because it is a sports car does'nt mean you can't or should'nt have auto. This is the first mazda I have owned, I went for the sp25 with full options. It is the best car I have ever driven so I really want to stay with the mazda marque but if holden bring out the insignia to australia I would seriously hav a look at that.

Blog Entries

VW GTI, Ralliart, Aston Martin, BMW = Expensive...if you can get one of those for the price of a MPS good luck haha

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I don't think an automatic MPS would do anything to sales, at least nothing significant enough to justify the development.
    Unless...... They bought ot a new 6 MPS. Then an auto would be a good option to have.
    I thing the majority of hot hatch owners would pick manuals, GT owners (like the 6) 50% of them would go manual.
    VW i think can get away with DSG pretend manuals because most of the GTi's i've seen are driven by old people or yuppies that aren't game enough to try a MPS
    DSG is awefull

however its good for the Drag Strip...

14. Default

VW Gti and Ralliart are the same price if you take $2300 for auto and the ralliart is AWD. By the way I agree that the BMW is expensive and not in the same league but I put it up as an example that sports cars need not only be manuals.

I don't think any MPS will come in auto. Maybe a DSG style gearbox in the future though. Even still, won't be a while till that happens because there are not many Japanese cars with those type of gearboxes at the moment.