User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mps exhaust blowing white smoke at idle

Default Mps exhaust blowing white smoke at idle

Ok can any one help or advise me here my 2007 mps has just clocked 60 klm,s sinse about 40klm,s it has omitted a faint trail of white smoke on prolonged idle (after 2mins) i have jugt had installed a cp-e dump pipe and now blows much more smoke at idle (embarrassing at the lights ) i have been told its the rings , or turbo seal or could be fuel the car is still under warranty but is modded

Col Col Col, I hope it's nothing to bad mate but it doesn't sound like fuel otherwise it would be black.

It's the turbo. They blow smoke when they fail.

You should have taken it back for a new/upgraded/warranty turbo when you first saw it.

Now with all your mods, it may be hard to have it replaced under warranty. Does Mazda know about the mods? Maybe have the "performance" mods removed and return the car for a new turbo, or, just get an upgrade out of your own pocket.

Check the thread about it here:

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...rbo-seals.html

Hope all goes well in the meantime.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

4. Default

This is common on MZR's running either DP or a test pipe. I replaced the bolt in the banjo connection to the turbo, solves the issue...

I can't remember the details but pretty sure it's somewhere on mazdaspeedforums.org, I'll try and track it down.

It's due to too much oil pressure within the turbo, the replacement bolt lowers the pressure.

Definitely has all the hallmarks of the bad turbo seals, almost exactly what mine was doing prior to having it replaced.
    Does the smoke have a very pungent odour, in which case it is the coolant seal, a trick I used to do to avoid the smoke screen at the lights was to sit the car at about 1250-1500 rpm when as lights etc, the additional airflow through the turbo is enough to allow the shaft & seal to seat correctly.
    There are a lot of theories out there on the matter, one that seems plausible is that the aftermarket downpipe creates lower pressure on the turbine side of the shaft, while the stock intake on the compressor side has a higher pressure, the shaft naturally favours the low pressure side and moves enough to cause the coolant seal to not sit correctly.
    The remedy is to fit a much more open intake, i.e CAI, or SRI with an aftermarket TIP to reduce the intake side pressure and allow the shaft to retain its balance, worth considering if you have any hassles getting the replacement item done under warranty.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

If Im not mistaken hasnt stock cars suffered from this too?

Surely Mazda will try to blame something else since you have on quite a few mods in your car, you should have taken it before puting on the DP

Correct me if Im wrong, but weren't these restrictors causing people to blow their dipsticks out due to elevated crankcase pressures.
    Also I would suspect that the topic at hand is the coolant seal, as the OP mentions white smoke, oil smoke is typically blue.

8. Default

Not sure, we've got two MPS6 running these (one for a while, the other not so long) and haven't had any dramas.

Same story as mine.

Turbo = Fail

Ja, turbo... I'm in that club too.

turbo seals FTL!!!!
    GONESKI

Your seals gone ....Garret for you as your warrenty is

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Definitely has all the hallmarks of the bad turbo seals, almost exactly what mine was doing prior to having it replaced.
    Does the smoke have a very pungent odour, in which case it is the coolant seal, a trick I used to do to avoid the smoke screen at the lights was to sit the car at about 1250-1500 rpm when as lights etc, the additional airflow through the turbo is enough to allow the shaft & seal to seat correctly.
    There are a lot of theories out there on the matter, one that seems plausible is that the aftermarket downpipe creates lower pressure on the turbine side of the shaft, while the stock intake on the compressor side has a higher pressure, the shaft naturally favours the low pressure side and moves enough to cause the coolant seal to not sit correctly.
    The remedy is to fit a much more open intake, i.e CAI, or SRI with an aftermarket TIP to reduce the intake side pressure and allow the shaft to retain its balance, worth considering if you have any hassles getting the replacement item done under warranty.

He has SRI and DP.

As stated: It has had a faint trail of smoke since 40k, now 60k and has new DP fitted (after having SRI for a month or 2)
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Question Wise in hindsight !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    If Im not mistaken hasnt stock cars suffered from this too?

Surely Mazda will try to blame something else since you have on quite a few mods in your car, you should have taken it before puting on the DP
    Your probably right Nirvy , but it wasn,t a problem before the dump pipe was installed and when i asked my mechanic was told it was probably exess fuel .
    So its a turbo seal does that mean a new turbo or just the seal and should it be a warranty claim or upgrade to a better turbo?
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Give the guys a Allstar Tuning a buzz. They may be do a turbo for me ??????? Richard (07) 32056850

For me it was a brand new turbo under warranty @ 30000km.

i want a new turbo....its so not fair...

and i have 113000kms

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    For me it was a brand new turbo under warranty @ 30000km.
    My turbo is still good just want a stronger turbo with ballbearings and bigger shaft and keep my std turbo.. Thinking this might be the way to go with Col with all the go faster mods, but if you can get it replaced under warranty go for it....
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

It will be interesting to see how Col gets on, it's not a cheap warranty job. Somewhere in the order of ~$4000 parts and labour I think...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast