User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clunky gear changes

Default Clunky gear changes

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, picked up an 07 MPS 3 a few days ago.

I'm experiencing this very annoying clunk/knock whenever I change gears. It tends to be less or not noticeable at all if I change gears at a slow pace but changing at a normal or fast rate tends to make this clunk/knock obvious.

What can it be? This isn't normal right?

Hi Philix welcome to the forum, if your ever looking for questions that need to be answered just click on the search bar near your quick links and type in want your looking for, in this senario type in Clunky and you will find what your looking for...

^^ What he said, It depends how bad the clunking is.. the MPS GB can be a bucket of bolts at times though if it is really bad id be checking your rear engine mount.. (especially if your lots of issues getting it into third when giving it some curry).

I'll probably bring the car into Mazda and get them to have a look at it since I still have factory warranty instead of stuffing around with it myself.

Cheers guys.

I did a few things

Changed Shifter Weight and Machined up some Shifter Bushes

i did change rear engine mount but it was to harsh and didnt fix my clunk

i reckon the gb is a slow one at that.. but she seems strong considering how much arseholing i have given it in my short tenure with the car...

Just a little update guys.

I brought the car into Mazda today to get them to have a look at this clunk. The guy at the reception said lets go for a drive so we did. When he drove it, the clunks didn't really occur. He's a lot more gentle on the clutch when changing gears and I tend to be a bit more aggressive. But he did admit that there is a bit of play with the engine mount and that is whats probably causing the clunk but claims its normal.

not really normal (if its the mount)
    Mine was doing it and they replaced the mount under warranty.

If your keen get under and check it for tears.

Change the rear engine mount & your problems will be solved.

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_i...roducts_id=751

The vibrations are minimal & the car will feel alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    not really normal (if its the mount)
    Mine was doing it and they replaced the mount under warranty.

If your keen get under and check it for tears.
    Where abouts is it under the car?

I have just put Redline MT-90 in a GB and that has made it almost 100% perfect, it's just a little notchy from 1st to 2nd but alot better than before all the other gears up and down are great

Only down side its about $150 for 4lts

Just had mine come back from it's 40k service and I mentioned my gearbox was clunkier than usual (hoping they would change the gearbox oil), they did and now I've got the dreaded "wong wong" noise...which occurs when the steering is at near full lock and turning (eg in a car park)...wrong gearbox oil was used.

Back to Mazda in the morning *sigh*

So do you guys think it's the rear engine mount? The guy at the reception said it might be play in on the engine mount but I don't think he's certain because we didn't even get a chance to put it up the hoist to check.

It's worth a look, definitely first thing to check.

But...depending on what you've come from it may take a bit to get used to the 3 MPS gearbox and clutch combo. 2-3 shift especially doesn't like being rushed, it's easy to beat the synchros there.

Get an after market rear eng mount. I havent missed a 2nd-3rd change since its been installed.

I'm having those same issues as well in a 2008 MPS3 with a difficult 2nd gear to get it in. could i ask what rear engine mods do you guys who have one recommend? What was the improvement that you experienced? this one may be a stupid question - does it void the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    I'm having those same issues as well in a 2008 MPS3 with a difficult 2nd gear to get it in. could i ask what rear engine mods do you guys who have one recommend? What was the improvement that you experienced? this one may be a stupid question - does it void the warranty?
    My issue is a bit different, getting it in gear seems effortless for me..

oh okay philix...thought it was kinda of the same thing =)

That would be fixed by a change of gearbox oil most probably (just make sure they use the right stuff!).

thinking of supplying my own with redline MT90 instead of letting them put their own in. Any other recommendations other than Redline MT90? Thanks for the input Dan

thinking of supplying my own with redline MT90 instead of letting them put their own in. Any other recommendations other than Redline MT90? Thanks for the input Dan
    Good idea, they f#%ked mine up last Friday by putting the wrong oil in, now it whines like a plane full of Englishmen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast