User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6MPS- Clutch slipping! Warranty? 61,000kms

Exclamation 6MPS- Clutch slipping! Warranty? 61,000kms

Hi guys,
    Ok so today i was stopped at the lights at the bottom of the freeway. i took off a bit faster than usual (to get into the middle lane), slipped out the clutch at about 2,500rpm and planted it...

It started to go off and then the revs flung up to 5,000rpm and stayed there! Ok so i flicked it into 2nd gear. Same deal.. slipping and going like a snail.

the good 'ol 'Clutch' smell began to stink out the cabin..
    As i was on my way home from work i went straight to my Mazda Dealer (Jarret Mazda, btw a red 3MPS was in the workshop )

The Service manager and mechanic took a look,
    "YEP thats defiantly clutch you can smell!"
    he took it for a drive and said it felt 'ok' but it could be on its way out.

He said new car warranty probably wont replace it as it has 61,000kms on the clock.
    The car is still under the 3 MONTH STATUTORY WARRANTY from the dealer i bought it from.

Um, HELP?

Any help on getting either the New car warranty to replace it or the stat warranty to replace it? I only have 3.5 weeks left of stat warranty and 10 months of New car warranty left.

(I had a clutch replaced under 3 month stat warranty when i bought my S14 200sx, Smith's car dealer fought it but the RAA report said it had to be replaced, so i have a little bit of experience with clutches and warranty)

Im just after some extra help, experiences, thoughts.

CHEERS GUYS

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

One of the difficulties you'll face is that for a warranty clutch job, Mazda only pays the dealer for half as many hours as it takes to replace the clutch. It's a two-day job and if they do it for you they'll essentially be giving you a days worth of labour for free.

This was something we learned a while back when the clutch TSB was happening and dealers suddenly became reluctant to do it. This is one of those situations where it pays to have a good relationship with your service manager.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    One of the difficulties you'll face is that for a warranty clutch job, Mazda only pays the dealer for half as many hours as it takes to replace the clutch. It's a two-day job and if they do it for you they'll essentially be giving you a days worth of labour for free.

This was something we learned a while back when the clutch TSB was happening and dealers suddenly became reluctant to do it. This is one of those situations where it pays to have a good relationship with your service manager.
    Ohok, Thanks for that. Thats a good help.
    So do Mazda only pay half the labour, but do they pay for the clutch itself in full?

Cheers mate

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Ohok, Thanks for that. Thats a good help.
    So do Mazda only pay half the labour, but do they pay for the clutch itself in full?

Cheers mate
    i purchased my mps6 and it had 70k on it was also still under new car warranty..

mazda service manager advised as this was a consumable/wear & tear item it would not be covered.

All i can say is good luck as the warranty is not worth the paper its written on in some cases..
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

hmm sticky sitch!!

Oh yea it's a 2006 model. Can't believe that the clutch has actaully gone only after 60,000kms!!

Yeah mine slipped badly at the track with 70k on it , hasn't yet on the street, mines out of new car warranty but has the 3 year dealer extended warranty but i noticed on it that clutches are not covered on a.w.d vehicles.
    Cheers Todd

I had a slipping clutch in the 3MPS after 30-40,000kms .... turns out it wasn't the clutch but excessive movement in the twin plate flywheel! ... If it is indeed the clutch and warranty won't replace it I can vouch for the SPEC Performance clutches forsale on Revolution Performance Motorsports! Your source for aftermarket performance parts! - Revolution Performance Motorsports! .. I had a Stage 2+ in mine and is still running strong!

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Oh yea it's a 2006 model. Can't believe that the clutch has actaully gone only after 60,000kms!!
    Mate, that doesn't too good, 60,000 doesn't seem to long at all, hope you resolve this without too much expense!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

myyyy tyyyyyyppoooooooo slipppps

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    I had a slipping clutch in the 3MPS after 30-40,000kms .... turns out it wasn't the clutch but excessive movement in the twin plate flywheel! ... If it is indeed the clutch and warranty won't replace it I can vouch for the SPEC Performance clutches forsale on Revolution Performance Motorsports! Your source for aftermarket performance parts! - Revolution Performance Motorsports! .. I had a Stage 2+ in mine and is still running strong!
    Did Mazda Find that out through investigations?

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Mate, that doesn't too good, 60,000 doesn't seem to long at all, hope you resolve this without too much expense!
    Clutches generally go between 90-110k! I am shocked actaully.

Quote Originally Posted by 12Lead View Post
    Yeah mine slipped badly at the track with 70k on it , hasn't yet on the street, mines out of new car warranty but has the 3 year dealer extended warranty but i noticed on it that clutches are not covered on a.w.d vehicles.
    Cheers Todd
    I was offered the 'extended' warranty from the used car dealer aswell, it noted that 2WD vehicles only, but i asked and they said that 4WD vehicles are not covered but AWD vehicles like my MPS would be covered.

Anyway,

Spoke to Peter Page Holden Just now, they rekn that the '3 Month statutory' warranty doesnt exist as the car is under new car warranty. 'a bit like new car warranty trumps all others etc'

I said that Mazda say that the used car 3 month stat warranty should cover first,,,,

This is going to be FUN FUN FUN.

Lol i destroy clutches in 30 - 40,000 kms

althou i have done 30,000 already sincy buying the Mazdabator in March and its clutch seems fine..

mps' have many issues

Car is booked in at the used car dealer to get the gearbox removed and clutch taken out, If it needs replacing they will replace it. Good news for all lol

I will find out how much a genuine clutch is and see if i cant get something after market that is better and ill chip in the extra.

Ill let yas know

15. Default

GoodLuck !

So got word back from the dealer. They said their service consultant who used to "race cars for a living" took the car for a drive and said it drives great. The clutch doesnt slip at all.

She then said that he did however get the bad clutch smell after he drove it.
    She said the reason it does that smell is because the car has been driven hard... and puts it down to being normal as the car must have been constantly driven fast and hard.

She then asked if one the Service consultants could take it home for the night to see if it heats up and go up some hills

I said i was not happy for someone to take my car home.

The result- She will talk to the Used car manager and see if he allow the gearbox to be dropped and clutch checked. Will get a call tomorrow morning.

Great hey, :P... not happy so far. See how we go tomorrow.

Cheers

BS, they said yes and now thinking twice?

If it slips when you try to launch it I'd say that's normal (not right, but normal). But if it slips when the clutch is released and you put the boot into it that is by definition defective.

A burning clutch smell can only occur if the clutch is slipping, which aint right.

For reference, here's how my clutch looked yesterday, lots of hot spots, but clamping pressure was normal:

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    BS, they said yes and now thinking twice?
    Correct. I think im going to get the car back and just take it down there when it gets that bad that it does it on flat ground.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    If it slips when you try to launch it I'd say that's normal (not right, but normal). But if it slips when the clutch is released and you put the boot into it that is by definition defective.

A burning clutch smell can only occur if the clutch is slipping, which aint right.

For reference, here's how my clutch looked yesterday, lots of hot spots, but clamping pressure was normal:

Thanks for that

The hot spots indicate slippage yes?

My clutch is odd, sometimes it will slip fully engaged and when you put the foot into it it will slip.
    It slips on take off when the accelerator is pressed firm.

It wont slip if you ease the accelerator down to the floor though.

In my eyes i view it like this and as i said to the dealer,
    "either way, the clutch does slip under certain circumstances and constantly it smells, so therefore i want it fixed, i bought a used car from a dealer for the reason that it should be in good working order, it is not at this point in time"

EDIT- What clutch are you putting back in Mal? As i cant find a Stage 1 Heavy Duty etc aftermarket one around here in SA
    Last edited by nissanman; 20-10-2009 at 05:48 PM.

I got an OEM clutch under warranty. If I was paying I would definitely have gone for something with more clamping pressure, but not too much more. An awd with a button clutch could be a gearbox destroying situation.

The ACT Street Clutch Kit is popular in the US for these cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast