User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a 6 MPS

1. Default Looking to buy a 6 MPS

Hi everyone from a new member!

I'm looking to buy a used 2005 Mazda 6 MPS and was hoping some more knowledgable people around here could help me with a couple of questions.

What are the average servicing costs? Are parts and servicing going to cost more since the car is no longer produced in Aus?

I'm aware of clutch problems in the 05 series. Are these problem the exception or the rule? I talked to the dealer about and he said he was aware of the problem, but the car I was looking at had no issues.

6 vs 3 MPS - which in your opinion is better and why? I like the 6s for the AWD and some folk I've spoken too tell me the torque steer in the 3 is quite scary at times.

Anything else you feel is relevant and would be helpful to me I'd love to hear about. Thanks for your help!

The MPS 6 is a weaon its no MPS 3 though .... it all comes down to personal choice both are awesome cars! As for the tourque steer well thats just more fun!

The 05 clutch problem should still be covvered by dealers if your car develops it ....

Not sure about servicing and parts but im sure some MPS 6 owners will jump in ...

Hope that helped
    マツダスピード

Welcome aboard Ando!

Check out on eBay for MPS's for sale for a start.

As far as which one is better, you'll get varied responses here...
    I personally have an 07 MPS 3, and I love it!! The torque steer is not so bad once you get used to it, it adds to the thrill of driving the car!
    I have always owned V8's and Muscle Cars. This was the first turbo-charged car i ever drove, and I was hooked!

I would have liked it if the 3 came in AWD, but I don't think it would be as quick.

Best advice - go and test drive as many as possible! Drive them fast and hard, this way you'll get the best feel for what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by EVILMPS View Post
    Best advice - go and test drive as many as possible! Drive them fast and hard, this way you'll get the best feel for what you like.
    Great advice from EvilMPS!!!

ando

I've got a 6MPS and love it. My only issues have been the reliability of the differential brackets in saying that I've ordered a new aftermarket one which should solve my issues.

Check out this thread here to see what some of the 3 and 6MPS owners have to say about their rides

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/off-t...your-ride.html

Summary of my servicing costs, including oil, I supply them with Castrol Edge Sport.

10K - $256
    20K - $302
    30K - $220
    40K - $435
    50K - $340 (last week)

Overall I've had lots of fun in my car, it seats 5 adults very comfortably, boot is big enough to swallow 3 golf bags easily, the AWD ticks my boxes (especially in the wet) the accelaration and cornering abilities put alot of cars to shame and most of all I love the look of it

Good luck in your quest, 3 or 6 either one will give you a big grin
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Hi ando. The clutch issue you mention was not really a fault, it was more about the majority of owners didn't like the grabby nature of the original clutch. It was virtually impossible for any driver no matter how experienced to get into an MPS6 and not stall it. Mazda offered a free replacement to anyone who asked. The new clutch is easier to use but in my opinion it lacks clamping pressure.

I've driven the MPS6 and both versions of the MPS3. I think both the 3's are nicer to drive, more comfortable and easier to live with for day-to-day driving. However if you're looking for outright performance the double wishbone front suspension and AWD of the 6 put it in another category. There's just no denying the physics.

The 6 is not without its "issues" though. Hesitation, vibration and noisy rear diffs are common faults. Smokey turbos also, but that applied to all MPS's. The seats in the leather pack are worse than sitting on a wooden plank and the headlights are just for decoration. Take a candle if you want to drive at night, it will be brighter.

Servicing costs aren't too bad. Like all Mazda's the service interval is 10,000km and they're a fairly easy car to service, for example they don't have a rubber timing belt that needs to be replaced every 100,000km. Just make sure you use good quality synthetic oil in the engine, gearbox, transfer case and diff. And change the gearbox oil at least every 40,000km because it's a real bucket of bolts.

Despite its faults and issues, the MPS6 is an awesome car. The brakes are phenomenal and you can literally give yourself a neck injury with the acceleration from a standing start. A lot of owners find they become so addicted to the AWD experience they have trouble finding a replacement that offers the same features with a similar level of performance.

Good luck deciding.

Gone to Volvo

6. Default

Thanks for your help all, much appreciated.

Ive just bought mine a few weeks ago. 2006 6 MPS.

I have it booked into MAZDA on Friday to get the diff and vibrations look at.

Apart from that, im VERY happy with the car. I compare mine to the cars ive owned in the past (look in my Signiture)

Drive a few 6's though... youll get the feel for what has been looked after etc.
    I drove 3 of them. the one i bought felt the best, tightest gearbox, no smoke, clear smooth ride (apart from the obvoius problems pointed out before hand)

The others felt sloppy, not very smooth, boost came on later, and one of them blew a wiff of smoke when you planted your foot.

If you want any other info etc on the ones i drove and what i seen were good and bad points let me know, PM me etc.

Cheers

- Oh and as for the leather seats.... DONT LISTEN TO HIM THEY ARE GREAT. JUST AS COMFORTABLE AS MY BOSSES F6 TYPHOON LEATHER SEATS (well i think so anyway.. and my wife... and my brother)

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    - Oh and as for the leather seats.... DONT LISTEN TO HIM THEY ARE GREAT. JUST AS COMFORTABLE AS MY BOSSES F6 TYPHOON LEATHER SEATS (well i think so anyway.. and my wife... and my brother)
    Yeah the seats are a love em or hate em thing. Must be something to do with the shape of our bums. I've been ready for a shot of morphine after 10 hours in the 6, and my wife sits on a little bean bag thing to delay the onset of pain. I reckon the MPS3 seats are pure luxury in comparison.

Gone to Volvo

9. Default

my seats are fine, but they are cloth and I think they are softer than the leather ... and besides I have a bit more padding on my rear end than Mal and his wife

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Yeah the seats are a love em or hate em thing. Must be something to do with the shape of our bums. I've been ready for a shot of morphine after 10 hours in the 6, and my wife sits on a little bean bag thing to delay the onset of pain. I reckon the MPS3 seats are pure luxury in comparison.
    Wow, that sounds terrible! Ive only driven mine for perhaps 2 hours straight so lets see how we go when we take a trip to Canberra next year lol.

So i guess the lesson here is, that you should sit in the Leather MPS seats FIRST and see how YOU fit in them.

Funny,
    the MPS seats are the only seats that dont make my lower back hurt a tad after driving for a while.
    Even my WRX seats after a good hour or so do it, simple fix is to jst change seating position but hey

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

I reckon the MPS3 seats are pure luxury in comparison.
    MPS 3 wins again
    マツダスピード

12. Default

Hi all, thanks again for your help.

I bought a 6 MPS the other day and it's such an impressive car. Test drove a 3 as well and they're both really nice cars, but I got a great deal on the 6 so it came out as the winner for me.

It's getting delivered to me on the 8th of Sept which is such a painful wait, but it will be worth it I guess.

Great to hear Ando..

Why so long? Thats over a week away?

Congrats on the pruchase Ando.

I bought mt 6MPS a week ago and love the performance, handling, and luxury.

After driving the 6 and 3 MPS back to back I found the 3 a little bit skitish, which can be fun but I wanted to modify my car and thought adding power to a chassis on the edge was a receipe for disaster.

Enjoy the ride.

15. Default

I bought it from Tweed Heads (I live in Canberra) so rather than run the Pacific Highway gauntlet, I'm paying to have it trucked down (I traded my old car in so they drop off the new and pick up the old).

But yeah, it's the standard model, 2005, only 33,000 kms and in great nick (at least according to my pre-purchase inspection report). Went up to have a look and a drive and it was great. At first I didn't really think it was that great performance wise, then the boost suddenly kicks in around 3000rpm when I gave it some off the lights and wow. The acceleration and "push you back in seat" ability is amazing. I didn't really get to experience it fully given the busy roads, but I'm very keen to give it a proper drive once it comes. What a car.

16. Default

Congrats on your purchase Ando ... its fantastic to have another MPS6 in Canberra ... we would love to catch up with you sometime.

You might even be keen to bring your new beast for a cruise with us down to Merimbula on the 12th Sept, will be an awesome first date for you and your car and there will be a fair few MPS6's and MPS3's along for the drive and good company

heres a link http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/club-...september.html
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Blog Entries

A lot of owners find they become so addicted to the AWD experience they have trouble finding a replacement that offers the same features with a similar level of performance.
    tell me about it...
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

Good work. Pics??? its the 8th tomorrow... congrats

Love my 6, its not the car a drove away in 3 years ago though! Its still nice to drive and its a practical choice
    Half the power on my car is snoozing, I did return the car to mazda in the warranty period but they said nothing was wrong with it! Newcastle mazda are clowns so do your research on who knows these cars!
    I had trouble getting details so I could fix the car myself, being a mechanic I find it hard to put my car in the hands of others.
    The car is great its just lack of care from the dealer that has spoiled it!
    If anyone can suggest the best dealer or other tuner for my car please send me a message!
    Good luck! Happy mazda'n!

20. Default

Hi All,

Thought I'd also post in here rather than starting a new thread.

I'm also in the market for a MPS 6 in the ACT/NSW region.

I'm actually lucky enough to have one in the family that I can drive (Father in law owns one). It's an 05 and I have to say I don't really mind the clutch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast