User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you buy a MPS?

Nevermind Guest

Default Why did you buy a MPS?

Just wondering why people bought their MPS. What cars did you look at before hand. What was it about the MPS that won you over?

For me, I was looking between the WRX, the Golf GTi, the XR5 and the MPS.

The WRX was BORING. I owned a current model Impreza RS (for 3 months) and felt it was the same car, only a little bit quicker - which it is really, I guess. It also felt the slowest out of the cars I test drove. I still liked the look of the hatch, in blue.

The GTi felt and looks too small, It was in the running, but to get it with the DSG it bumped the cost up. Was quick, but still lacked something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. That and also one of my friends just bought one as well, so it sort of rulled it out.

The Focus XR5 was a contender. It was second on the list, first before I looked at the MPS. Looked great, sounded great, and was quick. Its downfalls were a lack of options like cruise control, and you had to pay $1800 extra for orange, which was the colour I wanted if I was to get one.

The MPS won me over because I liked the look, the way it sits on those 18" wheels, the bodykit and rear wing, it all blends together so nicely. It was the quickest and had the most mongrel in it. It felt like a raw power machine when you put your foot flat to the floor, steering wheel fighting you as you change gears. I wasn't going to get the Sports model, but the "standard" MPS got crushed on the way to the dealership on the back of the truck, and they had no other Red ones at the time (and I wasn't getting black), so gave me a decent deal on a sports model.

So thats my story.

I owned a velocity red sp23 for a year and a half...went in with a friend to pick up her AB Neo at Aspley...Kevin (the finance dude) offered to take me for a drive in an MPS came back to office...10mins later i was the proud owner of a sexy AB MPS...went back later that day and test drove it...

What sold it to me???? Tourque steer ftw baby Who wants a car that drives in a straight line alll the time..BORING

Blog Entries

Great topic.

I came form a Pulsar SSS which I treat like absolute ****...to give you some idea I went over 30,000km between services but the thing never, ever let me down so thumbs up to Nissan for building an indestructible car.

As the SSS was a hatch I wanted something else this time around and started off looking at Evo 6 and 7's, but I needed something with a bit more luxury and not so "look at me".

From there I looked at the Honda Accord Euro, Subaru Liberty GT and the Mazda MPS6.

The Euro was a very nice car, just lacking in power and AWD and was about the same price as the MPS. This was the first of the final three that I drove and loved it.

Next I drove the MPS6- the whole look and feel of the car just worked for me as soon as I sat in it...and the power was miles ahead of the Euro...I had a mate with me who had just gotten the Spec B 3.0 Liberty and he said wait to you drive the GT...

So off we went to the Subaru dealer- the GT is a nice looking car, but honestly I thought it looked a bit feminine compared the the MPS6. The test drive was a total let down as well...the power (torque curve) seemed to be severly lacking compared to the MPS, the the brakes were no match at all...me and the car just did not "fit" with each other and I was very disappionted at this as I had such high expectations for this car. The cost was also a few thousand more then the MPS so my mind was made up pretty easy on the MPS.

Really the only issue I had on deciding was with the colour choice for the MPS...I so wanted blue (yes people you heard that right, but keep it to yourself and don't tell MSY..)...or at least a darker shade of grey...

On December the 14th I will have reached two years of ownership, and every time I get the the car I am still excited...that in itself said everything. The car has never let me down, and has delivered well past my high expectations and performance and comfort.

There is also an extremely interesting, painful and now amusing story that goes with this that I am not positing anywhere...If you want to hear it PM me...
    Last edited by shinslinger66; 30-11-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote:
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    Great topic.

I came form a Pulsar SSS which I treat like absolute ****...to give you some idea I went over 30,000km between services but the thing never, ever let me down so thumbs up to Nissan for building an indestructible car.

As the SSS was a hatch I wanted something else this time around and started off looking at Evo 6 and 7's, but I needed something with a bit more luxury and not so "look at me".

From there I looked at the Honda Accord Euro, Subaru Liberty GT and the Mazda MPS6.

The Euro was a very nice car, just lacking in power and AWD and was about the same price as the MPS. This was the first of the final three that I drove and loved it.

Next I drove the MPS6- the whole look and feel of the car just worked for me as soon as I sat in it...and the power was miles ahead of the Euro...I had a mate with me who had just gotten the Spec B 3.0 Liberty and he said wait to you drive the GT...

So off we went to the Subaru dealer- the GT is a nice looking car, but honestly I thought it looked a bit feminine compared the the MPS6. The test drive was a total let down as well...the power (torque curve) seemed to be severly lacking compared to the MPS, the the brakes were no match at all...me and the car just did not "fit" with each other and I was very disappionted at this as I had such high expectations for this car. The cost was also a few thousand more then the MPS so my mind was made up pretty easy on the MPS.

Really the only issue I had on deciding was with the colour choice for the MPS...I so wanted blue (yes people you heard that right, but keep it to yourself and don't tell MSY..)....
    On December the 14th I will have reached two years of ownership, and every time I get the the car I am still excited...that in itself said everything. The car has never let me down, and has delivered well past my high expectations and performance and comfort.

There is also an extremely interesting, painful and now amusing story that goes with this that I am not positing anywhere...If you want to hear it PM me...

AHHH HAAA i knew you had taste in there some where
    Last edited by MISSMPS; 30-11-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Blog Entries

My God- Someone has hacked my account!

HellionXR6T Guest

Drunk at the time? Brainwashed? **** Knows.....lol.

Doug bugged me to test drive his AB MPS. So one day I hit him up for it just to get it out of the way, thinking, pffft yeah right! Me? In a Mazda? Won't happen. I was driving an EVO 7.5 GT-A at the time and the previous car was a XR6 Turbo with 300kw@wheels. Even now it's a sore spot and miss that power terribly, was an awesome car....

Anyway...

Well Doug turns up one evening and he offered me to drive it hard "It's what they are made for".... So I gave it a flogging, was impressed as it was a damn fun car to drive, was impressed by the cornering ability (for a FWD), breaking ability and general appearance of outside n inside of the car. EVO's are the best handling cars of their class out there but they are too good. You get lazy and your driving skills can go sour as you can get away with anything in them. Being bored with the EVO and looking at spending a few grand to clean it up and get some serious power, I thought, I need more of a daily driver yet something that I can still have fun with.

Was also looking at the XR5 Focus and the MPS won on a few small things. If I saw the new model 1st though, I would have leaned towards the XR5 but the MPS is what I chose. Think I test drove 3 MPS'es and 3 XR5T's. Managed to Sell the EVO for $27K (which I was happy, can get one dirt cheap now days - another reason for getting rid of it). Missed out on the car 'ol Street Road Laino's driving by a week...lol. I was eying off the perfect Cosmic 2007 model with only 9000kms on it and missed it by one day. Was on sale for 3 months, spewing. Found the one I purchased @ Centenary Mazda for $31K.

Thats about it.
    Last edited by HellionXR6T; 30-11-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Nevermind Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HellionMPS View Post
    and the previous car was a XR6 Turbo with 300kw@wheels. Even now it's a sore spot and miss that power terribly, was an awesome car....
    My previous car other then the short stint of the Impreza was a BA XR8 Ute, which I loved. nothing beats the raw power of the V8 and that rumble. I only had extractors and 3" exhaust but it gained 20kw over stock.

Damn I loved that car...

Never in my life liked hatch cars until I saw the 2005 SP23 come out and I just loved it from the very first time I saw it. Then I saw the MPS and right away loved it even more, however my financesme back then(2005) didnt allowed to get my hands on one so I happily settled for a SP23 which I enjoyed and it was an awesome car, after 2 years I had the chance to go for the MPS and without thinking it twice I went for it....now Im broke again !

In short there was not other car that had that many pro's in its favour, great looks inside an out, awesome performance for its cost and got style.

dOttY Guest

I had a '08 Neo sport, and after going for a hoon in a friend's WRX sti, I got the speed bug... Great.

Sooo...I really wanted the WRX sti but holy crap! In excess of $70K, it wasn't in my price range! And I wasn't too keen on the Subaru hatch look, really.

I went and test drove the XR5, and was pretty much sold. I was prepared to overlook the Ford badge, even though every Ford I've had, I've done the engine, oh, and they were all red, go figure...lol. Red, bahhh.

I also had a couple of beefs with it however. One was the keyless ignition, it just didn't do it for me, perhaps I'm conventional afterall? And 2, the bloody cup holders! They're ridiculously small, shallow and just don't cut it for me. Oh, and the handbrake is on the wrong side of the console! And the indicators...wtf? Lefthand side? I often use the indicator mid way through a gear change...How on earth would I be able to do that?? Shup Shin!

So even though I loved how the XR5 drove and looked, I wasn't 100% sold. Then by chance, I test drove the MPS. Holy sh*t! I near shat myself! It was like a rocket on wheels and it was instant loooooooove. I couldn't believe how good it was!

The rest, as they say, is...HISTORY! MAZDA FTW!

Blog Entries

I am interested in hearing more about your gear changes Dorothy?

Previous cars has been, old Ford laser hatch... fully sick Corolla Seca that i had big plans to drop a 4agze in and all this stuff but ended up with just wheels lowered and big zorst hanging out back...then i had the old VK wagon which is done me til now... so the MPS is luxury compared to what i have driven !!

I was sold on the MPS when a mate of mine dropped me home one night from town in his... scared the crap out of me pissed... haha

Then went test drove one at Mazda... loved it... then cried cause of the price tag... then went looking at cars i could afford... had a VE SV6 lined up then i saw my Black Baby on the car yard was slightly more then the SV6 but yea... went in started talking... took it for a test drive.. just made the SV6 feel like a tank.. haha... was sold didn't even need to test drive anything else.. knew i wanted it...

signed papers that weekend.. drove away with it on the Sunday !!

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

POWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH /Jeremy Clarkson

Seriously, I previously had a 2006 SP23, and just wanted something with some more poke.. More modding potential, and way more fun

dOttY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    I am interested in hearing more about your gear changes Dorothy?
    Gear change or not, I like having my hand on a knob for the most part... <insert Angelic look here> And with the indicators on the LHS, it buggered up everything!

Blog Entries

Well that makes perfect sense.

As much as i would have liked to get one i didnt ..

- Insurance for my age would be too much
    - Prefer the sedan over a hatch ( soory guys and girls )
    - Out of my price range

Quote Originally Posted by RED3VIL View Post
    As much as i would have liked to get one i didnt ..

- Insurance for my age would be too much
    - Prefer the sedan over a hatch ( soory guys and girls )
    - Out of my price range
    Your not the only one there.. If they made the MPS3 in a sedan, i would of bought one in a heartbeat (had a SP23 sedan previously).

Blog Entries

Sedans FTW.

thats all devil talk, hatch FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    Devil talk?

You might want to refresh your memory with this commercial...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbBQ6HceyEQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nbBQ6HceyEQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Now who is the devil???
    Quote:
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast