User Tag List

Thread: Mazda3 MPS Turbo Flutter

1. Default Mazda3 MPS Turbo Flutter

This is a bit of a stupid question -

I have a Gen1 3MPS fitted with a cobb accessport tune, a Cobb short ram intake and Cobb turbo inlet piping.

At the moment, my turbo spool noise is pretty loud, which i don't mind, however my bypass valve sound, is like that of a subaru with just that instant release of air.

I am wondering - what modifications would i have to make to change this bypass valve sound to a flutter/chatter? I'm not talking about VL turbo muzzbus dose noise - i'm talking about quiet flutter/chatter noise like that of a not-so-stock BA XR6 Turbo, for instance.

I would much prefer a flutter sound than that burst bypass valve sound.

I will say again : NOT LIKE A VL TURBO. QUIETER. CHATTER/FLUTTER.
    Last edited by stockholm; 27-05-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Appreciate the stock BPV for what it is: The fastest operating BOV that will fit our cars. That to me is way cooler than one that makes a strange noise. That flutter sound is just a sign that the BOV isn't working properly.
    Last edited by Reedy; 27-05-2016 at 02:25 PM.

3. Default

So, for example - (Not saying i will do this) if i disconnected the vacuum hose to the BPV, it would create this chatter?

Obviously i wouldn't do this because i don't want to stop normal operation - but just hypothetically, is this what you would be talking about?

You want a flutter noise, but not like a VL???

A VL is a flutter...

Disconnecting the hose from the bpv will just cause your bpv to vent to atmosphere, causing your car to go rich on shift. Also if you don't block the bpv hose going into the intake, you're going to get unmetered air entering the system, run lean and possibly blow your engine.

TL-DR, don't just disconnect the bpv hose and expect it to work.
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 27-05-2016 at 07:28 PM.

5. Default

Use to own a Nissan bluebird turbo with an adjustable BPV. It flutters when the spring is adjusted way too tight.
    Normally, cars with BPV vented to atmosphere are MAP through vacuum (old school).