User Tag List

Thread: Diagnose this....

Default Diagnose this....

After corksport turbo install, i noticed a weird metallic rattle buzz when throttle pushed (even just a tap). Can be heard from inside the car so I popped the hood. God damn throttle by wire however prevents me from getting in there and reving it myself to check. More audiable when decelerating in revs..... Phone isn't the best audio taker, but I can hear it at least! Sounds like rubbing to me....but not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJUcJKyr-MM

Cars going in for intake this Friday, but wondered if anyone else has such a buzz....

Cheers
    2010 Gen 2 - "SPOOOL" (VIC) - Fully bolted

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

Downpipe bolts nice and tight?

Not sure as I don't have a lift....or anywhere to work on car... I am thinking heat shield or something..

Noticed my left hand exhaust tip has sagged about a cm also.... could be related?

Doubt that the exhaust tip is related (would just be a slightly stretched exhaust hanger up the back) and it seems like it is coming from the engine bay, but remember, sound can travel so best get someone with their head in there while you manipulate the throttle.

ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBong View Post
    Doubt that the exhaust tip is related (would just be a slightly stretched exhaust hanger up the back) and it seems like it is coming from the engine bay, but remember, sound can travel so best get someone with their head in there while you manipulate the throttle.
    Well exhaust hangers look identical. I might just chop it and reweld....as I can't even push it to match the other one (its quite firm).

Edit : I keep staring at it lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150613_17_03_07_Pro.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	785.6 KB 
ID:	17463
    Last edited by nas711; 13-06-2015 at 05:38 PM.

CORKSPORT TURBO | COBB AP3 | COBB DOWNPIPE | COBB REM | AUTOTECH HPFP | CORK SPORT 3" PS MAF INTAKE | COBB SF AB | CPE TMIC | CPE HEADERS | COBB 3 PORT EBCS | 3 BAR MAP| PEDDERS COILOVERS | DBA T4 SLOTTED ROTORS | CORKSPORT EYELIDS| FORGE V1 BPV| | MAGNAFLOW CUSTOM | VELOCITY RED | PEARL 2PAC STOCK RIMS | DUAL TUNED BY HPF ON E30

Could this be the result of putting on a new turbo? I mean with all the exhaust taking off etc etc. I got under the car and there is no way I can budge the exhaust tip back up where it was in line with the other one and the exhaust hangers are perfect. Can a rotation of the dump pipe from different turbo position affect the exhaust position? I swear the right is sitting slightly higher as well.

Not at all. You only really touch the down pipe and maybe mid pipe when installing a turbo I would imagine. The exhaust tips on my Gen 2 don't sit exactly the same either. Chances are, they were always like that and you've only noticed after you've looked carefully chasing the rattle.

Hrm...thanks I might see my exhaust place then.

11. Default Guy i need help!!!

Sorry guys i couldnt figure out how to communicate with anyone. Im new to the page and new to the mps world. Can someone help me i have a mazda 6 mps and just today i have experienced that when im slowing down with my car i get extreme rattling to the exhaust and the moment i start breaking it increases. Can anyone personal message me and help me out

Sounds like somethings not tight mate. I just got a new turbo put on and mine is just a little buzz in my engine bay, not like yours in the whole exhaust. Take it to an exhaust shop and get them to play with it on a hoist. Depends if the engine braking is making this sound, or something in your drivetrain. Definately coming from exhaust?

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nas711 View Post
    Sounds like somethings not tight mate. I just got a new turbo put on and mine is just a little buzz in my engine bay, not like yours in the whole exhaust. Take it to an exhaust shop and get them to play with it on a hoist. Depends if the engine braking is making this sound, or something in your drivetrain. Definately coming from exhaust?

Hey thanks alot. Im not 100% if its from the exhaust its only happening when im slowing down woth or wothout break same response. Is it possible that the engine mount can cause a shake like that. The vibration is coming from all over the car is their common problems that can cause this?

Sounds a bit like a mount, Id take it to a mechanic when you can. No point webMD'ing this.

Not at all. You only really touch the down pipe and maybe mid pipe when installing a turbo I would imagine. The exhaust tips on my Gen 2 don't sit exactly the same either. Chances are, they were always like that and you've only noticed after you've looked carefully chasing the rattle.
    Went to the exhaust place and said not sure what happened but my exhaust has dropped a bit. He lifted it up and said "did you change the dump or turbo on this as the flange has been slightly rotated anticlockwise". He heated up the weld, rotated it slightly, rewelded and clamped and fixed it perfectly. Perhaps turbo sits differently to the k04 and needed a slight rotation...But seems it was from the turbo install.

At least they troubleshooted it properly for you, which is getting disturbingly uncommon these days! But good outcome all the same.

Yeah I reckon, the guy who does the exhausts seems to be very meticulous about his work so he was very keen to take a look at it. Fixed it in under 5... thanks for the advice.