User Tag List

Thread: Knock Retard while driving normally

1. Default Knock Retard while driving normally

So i haven't had my AP in for a while because tape for the mount sucks balls and keeps coming off the dash. I plugged it in the other night and was stuck in traffic but noticed i was getting consistent KR up to 8 at one point while just driving normally and not in boost at all. After going to the gym and driving home it didn't seem anywhere near as bad only up to 2 at some points.

Has me a little worried, What should I be looking into to find out why it was that high?

Cheers

TMIC? What were your BAT's like? Also read up on false knock or mechanical knock.

If you're getting readings of 8, it's probably false... And willing to bet its happening when you shift...

OTS (and most custom tunes) stop knock after 6... The knock of 2 is pretty normal, I always have some sort of knock reading...

Gen 1/6 by any chance?

4. Default

Yeah gen 1/6 with Cobb map. TMIC car is full stock not sure on BATs but it was a wet cold night and even though I had been in traffic for a while don't think temp gauge was up to quite half yet.

Just gave me a bit of a shock as I haven't been using the AP then plug it in and see high numbers like that.

Your water tamp guage? Not sure what half way is on a gen 1, but you will always see more KR when the car is cold (which is why you take it easy till up to temp). Water temp doesn't really relate to boosted air temps though.

6. Default

Yeah water temp. I've just been doing some more reading and a couple of people reckon they get high kr driving normally before the car is up to full operating temp so hopefully that's all it was. Gotta get some more tape for the stupid mount so I can monitor a little more closely with the AP.

Part throttle knock is normal I hear. I get that off boost as well in high gears (like 3rd crusing up a hill).

Regarding AP mounting, what I found was I went out and bought a mobile phone mount (suction cup style). Works brilliantly! The sticky thing lasted about 2 days on mine also. I used a samsung side clamp style and it has enough force to hold it in place nicely (5" and above one)