User Tag List

Thread: Cold pipe gasket

Default Cold pipe gasket

Hi guys.

So after having some plugs installed yesterday and getting some bad KR today, I pulled the plugs I had installed yesterday to see if they gaped them properly (they did not, they were still around 1.1mm rather than the 0.7mm I asked for, Canberra mechanics FTMFL) I thought I would just have a look around to see how things were, I took off the cold pipe from my CorkSport TMIC and I found that the goose who installed must have thrown away the cold pipe gasket, no doubt causing boost to leak.

I was wondering if an auto parts store could help me get one cut to size and if the gasket material is important? Any help appreciated lads.

Cheers.

I had a leak in the same place even with the gasket (I don't think it seals well after the IC is removed a few times). I just bought some high temp liquid gasket from supercrap auto and applied it around the flange. Let it set overnight and its worked fine ever since.

Cheers Lachlan. Was the leak bad when you had the problem with the seating of your cold pipe? Did it show in AP logs/bum dyno etc.?

It wasn't terrible, but was making a maf cal hard. No cels or anything. Did a boost leak test (compressor and soapy water) and found air pouring out of the cold pipe/IC seal.

Thanks mate. Well, considering I don't have a gasket there at all, I suspect a fair amount of air is leaking out. Thanks for the pro-tip re: liquid gasket - I'll grab some tomorrow. Any chance of it setting during the day you think or is overnight setting of the liquid gasket essential?

I think mine said leave for 8 hours or something on the packet. You would probably be OK driving after a few hours, but I just didn't want to risk any getting sucked into my engine by manifold vacuum. Maybe you can find a faster setting one, as it won't get that hot.

I'll head down to Supercheap first thing and get it done, hopefully it will be alright by the afternoon. I'll leave it in the sun, might speed up the drying a bit