User Tag List

Thread: Maf sensor issue?

1. Default Maf sensor issue?

Hey guys, my car ran out of battery the other night so I got a mate to come out and jump started it. I must've done something wrong and now there is a solid check engine light and the TCS light is now solid. The car is running rich and is constantly hunting during idle. There is hardly any power past 3000rpm and gear shifts are harsh. Tried to reset my ecu by unplugging my battery for half an hour but the lights still came on. Tried to clean my maf sensor with CRC maf sensor cleaner- No results. I even unplugged my maf sensor and tried to run it without it but there was no difference in performance-however, it did stall on the first couple of start ups and the battery light comes on. Got my codes read and my mechanic said that a maf sensor code was popping up, not sure what the code it was since he was rushed at the time and I forgot to ask. If anyone has experienced this before or knows what the problem is, it would be great if you could share your ideas. Thanks in advance

Hmm did you jump star the car with "standard jumper leads" or the type with the extra wire designed for modern cars. Also did you have the donor car running at the time or not?

may have power surged your ecu

3. Default

They were just the standard red and black jumper leads and from memory, yes the donor car was running at the time. Sounds like an expensive mistake that I made...

I haven't had experience with check engine lights on my mps, however it sounds very similar to the"Limp mode" on my rx8. I don't believe half an hour is enough to reset the ecu tbh might be worth leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours or over night if possible then try again. Unless you have a cobb ap or obd2 reader to reset the codes.

ps I have read it's better to jump start the mps with the donor car off for future reference, reduces the power surge.

I got recommend to remove the battery from the donor car also (obviously a 20:20 hindsight type situation).

not being able to get actual codes sucks
    got any logs?
    else, best guess is it's either MAF or O2 sensor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspec View Post
    I haven't had experience with check engine lights on my mps, however it sounds very similar to the"Limp mode" on my rx8. I don't believe half an hour is enough to reset the ecu tbh might be worth leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours or over night if possible then try again. Unless you have a cobb ap or obd2 reader to reset the codes.

ps I have read it's better to jump start the mps with the donor car off for future reference, reduces the power surge.
    pull the leads, then pump brake pedal until lights stop
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    not being able to get actual codes sucks
    got any logs?
    else, best guess is it's either MAF or O2 sensor...

pull the leads, then pump brake pedal until lights stop

Or this^^^
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

@Speed6er any feedback on the issue? It's always nice for people to hear what eventuated. Helps educate back and forth
    Last edited by Mspec; 14-07-2014 at 09:30 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mspec View Post
    @Speed6er any feedback on the issue? It's always nice for people to hear what eventuated. Helps educate back and forth
    It was just a blown maf sensor. Bought a new one and had the codes cleared. The cars running a lot better than before it gave way so I guess it's been faulty for a while now haha. Thanks for the help guys!

How much did that set you back @Speed6er

Quote Originally Posted by Speed6er View Post
    It was just a blown maf sensor. Bought a new one and had the codes cleared. The cars running a lot better than before it gave way so I guess it's been faulty for a while now haha. Thanks for the help guys!
    Cheers for the update mate glad you got it sorted, it must have been coincidence it failed after the jump start
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    How much did that set you back @Speed6er
    It cost me $290 for the part from Mazda and 180 for around 2 hours of labour/diagnostics from my mechanic. I can't justify 2 hours of labour on trying to diagnose the problem but oh well, as long as my car is working at its optimum, I'm not too fussed.