User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radar detectors

Default Radar detectors

Now I'm going to assume that everyone in ozmpsclub are safe, conscientious drivers who abide to the speed limit as best as they can (RIGHT?!)...it's just on those moments when there's an "accidental" slip of the right foot, or when your need for fun overwhelms your sensibility...

I've got a few questions about it:

1. Is it even legal in WA? Been talking to a few people, been getting 2 differing responses - either it's completely legal, or that it's legal to own one but not have it installed (yes, what the, but I've heard it from 2 separate people, so kinda wondering if there's any truth in it...)

2. For those of you who got one, what are your experiences? ANy one you can recommend?

3. Does it have to be bought and installed in Australia? Just scanning ebay, and you can get some from US for a lot cheaper, especially with the recent rise of our dollar against the US currency...

Blog Entries

Question 1. Sounds like in-car DVD players, they are legal to sell but "technically" illegal to have hooked up in your car since it is a driver distraction...

gotta love legal grey sections...

Blog Entries

slightly illegal in QLD Dotty...sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    slightly illegal in QLD Dotty...sorry...
    thats ok. they'll never find out. Id get one.How much do they cost roughly? I didnt know ebay sold them.

That's not many selling on Ebay from Australia, but plenty from US, ranging from $200 to $800 or so...that's why I'm wondering whether it needs to be bought and installed locally for it to be effective...

Anyone ever installed one on their own? How hard is it?

Blog Entries

you also have to see if the US ones work here in Australia...there radar systems are different to our systems.

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    you also have to see if the US ones work here in Australia...there radar systems are different to our systems.
    Have a read of this article Beltronics STI-Driver and Beltronics STI-XR radar detectors

In fact just go to that site, it has heaps of information and should answer any questions you have about radar detectors and laser jammers.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Blog Entries

Very interesting read!! Good find Nulliaj I happily stand corrected

what a great website.......

i might linkie elsewhere.

Yeah, great website...YES! It's legal in WA...and those guys are based here, might pay them a visit some time soon...

Anyone here got one? Any thoughts?

They're not illegal in WA yet! The various authorities are pushing to make them illegal though nothing through as yet.

I used to have one when I was a rep on the road and was travelling 60-70,000kms a year and it saved my bacon many times over, so was definitely worth the $400 investment back then. Have thought of getting one again as it's very distracting watching your speed limit consistently!

The one I had was a simple suction cup on the windscreen and I had it hard wired, so didn't need to plug it into the cig lighter.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Maybe we should organize a group buy for the WA folks...and anyone else interested, for that matter...

Like I said, it's tempting to buy one from Ebay from the US of A...can by a Whislter Pro 78 for about $200US, which is about a third of the cost! Only problem - will in work in Australia? And who can/will install it?

eh i am not a fan of radar detectors. since buying one when i was 19 that was supposedly 'undetectable' at the time. it saved my as 5 or 5 times in the 6 months i had. until i went for a trip to sydney. coming into grafton in that 80 zone just north of grafton on pacific hwy a cop detected my detector. pulled me over confiscated the display portion of it. but not before i stomped on it so it was not in working order. then handed it over hehe. At the time it was $100 fine in qld for getting caught with one. little did i know at the time that in nsw it was a slightly different fine. try $1003!!!!!! i was spewing big time specially on a 19 yrs old wage :P anyway even though it did save me 5 or 6 times in the end kama got me big time. funny thing was i wasnt speeding at the time i got caught. they just detected my detector. but i did mess up a bit cause i would always turn it off when coming into towns on highway runs. except forgot this one time. anyhow ever since then i have beensworn off them. the thing i found out was that they probably only stay undetectable for a short period of time cause the cops are always coming up with better technology to detect the undetectable. so that is my long winded story on my ecperience with radar detectors

I feel for ya, Junglist....fortunately for us here in the west, it's still legal to own one...

I just prefer to wait for others to "flash" me .. Flashers FTW!

DONT SPEED!!!!! Problem solved

....no that you practice what you preech hey missy

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    ....no that you practice what you preech hey missy

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    DONT SPEED!!!!! Problem solved

ah that is boring. must b really boring over the northside if no one speeds!!!

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ship View Post
    I feel for ya, Junglist....fortunately for us here in the west, it's still legal to own one...
    if it is still legal there then i would recommend one. cause in the end it will save u quite an amount if u like to go a 'little' over the speed limit where ever u go hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TheJunglist View Post
    ah that is boring. must b really boring over the northside if no one speeds!!!
    Actually we dont have as many cops around on the northside.....

....must be that all the "criminals" live on the lesser side of town
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast