User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perception of MPS's amongst other performance car owners

Default Perception of MPS's amongst other performance car owners

Thought I'd ask what others peoples experiences are with the perception of their MPS amongst other performance car owners...

I've had a few interesting ones recently. Guy at the place I've been working at a short while, is/was the resident "gearhead" there, we get talking about cars and he asks what I have. When I tell him the next response is "huh?". Then he sees it in the car park and dismisses it as a shopping trolley/gay car/girls car and has a joke about it with everyone at work when I said that my car goes alright...

Fast forward to last Friday afternoon leaving work, he's chatting to someone in the car park when I leave. To head home I have to do a U-turn and go up a long hill, easy overtaking opportunity for an MPS as you all know...so of course I'm booting it up the hill, he's in the carpark watching as I zoom zoom away...

Today he's straight on to me going "man what is that car?", "how fast?", "tell me all about them!"...had a good laugh about that!

So any similar experiences?

dOttY Guest

I hear 'ya. One of the reasons why I put the "turbo" badge on my car... Many people just dismiss us, like you say. They think we're nothing more than the typical 3 hatch! It shyts me.

17 yr old up the road wants to race me *rolls eyes*...in his Ford Falcon AU, coz he said he'd shyt all ovah me! I say.... BRING IT!!
    Last edited by dOttY; 24-11-2008 at 07:48 PM.

See the same thing with my car. Tell someone I have a focus (i dont usually say its the xr5) and they go, oh yeah, my sister has one of those, or oh yeah, thinking about getting one of those for the wife.

Then you drive past them with a bit of Bang Bang, and the story starts to change. The people who dislike our car the most are the disgruntled Ford Territory drivers

Quote Originally Posted by dOttY View Post
    I hear 'ya. One of the reasons why I put the "turbo" badge on my car... Many people just dismiss us, like you say. They think we're nothing more than the typical 3 hatch! It shyts me.

17 yr old up the road wants to race me *rolls eyes*...in his Ford Falcon AU, coz he said he'd shyt all ovah me! I say.... BRING IT
    !
    lol Im the total opposite. My car has all 3 turbo badges removed. The people who can 'shyt all over us' can get F#$%ed, till we get to a set of traffic lights
    Last edited by lats; 24-11-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Very common what you have experienced...most people have no idea of what an MPS is...that is until you bust their arse and then they want to know...

Rembering back a few years...WRX's only became popular after they were involved in many high publicity smash and grabs and made the front page of the papers...Subaru just loved the attention it brought their car. Not something I wouldlike to happen to the MPS's though...

Well I agree...always get ppl asking what a MPS is...

Its starting to catch on tho...even the cops know what a MPS is...well some do

As for the XR5..i guess they get the same thing....as only a close eye can really tell the difference.

Things may change when the new 3MPS arrives...with all the kit and kaboodle.

Personally, I dont care....call it a girls car, shopping trolley etc....but it can beat 85% of the cars on the road...not bad for a turbo 4.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Well, let me add a few comments from a non-mps owner.

Don't forget the MPS are still relatively new to the scene. Especially to the “performance car” and the “race car” scene. Not a lot of people recognise your cars as performance cars and immediately fall back and generalise base on its shape, which commonly are not sold as performance cars.

Don’t get me wrong, i do not doubt the performance of the MPS. I’ve been in Homeless’s car and have raced him enough times to appreciate its capabilities. But for the people who haven’t will question its potential.

Give it time, let the turners catch on and develop more aftermarket parts and enter in more races, then soon the majority of the public’s view will change.

For the time being, just appreciate the fact that you can drive you car around without every cop doing a double take of your car, but from the sounds of things, times are changing quickly.

7. Default

I love the fact that not many ppl know about our cars or appreciate just how quick they are, nothing makes me smile faster than leaving some young rev head in his WRX or XR6 or something with mouth wide open staring at your rear end as u fly past them ... especially when ur a girl

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse View Post
    Well, let me add a few comments from a non-mps owner.

Don't forget the MPS are still relatively new to the scene. Especially to the “performance car” and the “race car” scene. Not a lot of people recognise your cars as performance cars and immediately fall back and generalise base on its shape, which commonly are not sold as performance cars.

Don’t get me wrong, i do not doubt the performance of the MPS. I’ve been in Homeless’s car and have raced him enough times to appreciate its capabilities. But for the people who haven’t will question its potential.

Give it time, let the turners catch on and develop more aftermarket parts and enter in more races, then soon the majority of the public’s view will change.

For the time being, just appreciate the fact that you can drive you car around without every cop doing a double take of your car, but from the sounds of things, times are changing quickly.
    how does the MPS match up with the skyline?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teamfletch1 View Post
    how does the MPS match up with the skyline?
    SKYLINEMPS

Blog Entries

In all seriousness, it is a somewhat even match up. I beat him off the line because he loses traction - yet he has better handling because of his mods...

It makes for some good fun!

Quote Originally Posted by armthehomeless View Post
    SKYLINEMPS
    really? MPS wins?

Team!!!! you've just opened up a can of worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!

always been curious of how the MPS would go against a skyline, never been tempted to try. thanks, now i know

haha how i roll

Blog Entries

Joe, put up the desktop pic I made for your laptop

nah, its long gone. It went as soon as i beat all your times at QR by 2 seconds.....

Count it Ro, that’s one Mississippi, two Mississippi.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhouse View Post
    nah, its long gone. It went as soon as i beat all your times at QR by 2 seconds.....

Count it Ro, that’s one Mississippi, two Mississippi.....
    Well if I had spent the same amount as you modding my car - I would be able to catch up...
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Well if I had spent the same amount as you modding my car - I would be able to catch up...
    Catch up...spend that much cash...and you will be keeping with a Bugatti

Happy Motoring
    duglet

haha i really did open up a can of worms didn't i. sorry guys.

but just remember what forum your in birdie

My 13 year old car cost me $17k 4 years ago....... BOUYA!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast