User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might be getting timing chain done - get VVT actuator done as well?

Default Might be getting timing chain done - get VVT actuator done as well?

Hi guys.

I've got the infamous rattle in the engine bay when cold so it is most likely a loose timing chain or a bad VVT actuator, done about 76000kms. I'm going to take it to Dyno Tune Belconnen to get them to take a look at it to confirm. Anyone had experience getting this done on a Gen II? Do the actuator at the same time even if it isn't bad? I've read about getting timing chain/VVT kits from some suppliers and getting their own mechanics to do the work - anyone done this and got any tips?

Cheers.

Not normally a Gen 2 issue usually a Gen1 and 6
    The timing chain can't be fitted by any joe blow,I think the chain and VVt not an easy install.

Chef has the right of it.

This is not a novice or even experienced shop install unless they have prior knowledge of the quirks of the MZR timing setup.

More screwups have been made by "pro" shops in this area than anything else on the mps.

On top of that information, I highly recommend changing the vvt actuator as part of this work. While the Gen 2 version is more robust, it is piece of mind that costs very little.

I'm in the ACT so my choices are a bit limited in terms of shops to perform the work. I basically have my dealer in Phillip and Dyno Tune Belconnen recommended by @Jimbo and @SarcasticOne. I'll make sure they've done one on a modern Mazda before getting any work underway but I'm just getting it checked to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBong View Post
    I'm in the ACT so my choices are a bit limited in terms of shops to perform the work. I basically have my dealer in Phillip and Dyno Tune Belconnen recommended by @Jimbo and @SarcasticOne. I'll make sure they've done one on a modern Mazda before getting any work underway but I'm just getting it checked to begin with.
    Honestly, this is the one thing I'd be going to Mazda for
    Get it wrong, and bye bye engine...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Fair enough. Thanks guys. I might drop into the dealer at some stage during the week.

Give Ultimate tunes a call they have experence with these cars
    prob the most experenced with this platform next to Mazda
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Ultimate Tunes are in Phillip yeah? Closer to work which is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Tunes are in Phillip yeah? Closer to work which is good.

Yes in phillip, will be a lot cheaper than Mazda and have a lot of experence with this platform Christian has
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

10. Default

Just wondering ..76000 ks seems a bit early for this to happen especially on a Gen 2 or is this the norm?

I'll do up a YouTube vid tomorrow morning so you guys can hear what I'm talking about. Pretty sure it's either the chain/VVT actuator, but I could be wrong.

Just take the donk out and d forged internals fix it in the process

Could also be normal and your not used to it , I find mine quite noisy coming from a Corolla

Took a vid of it this morning. After watching, it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as some others but there is definitely rattling:

Sound quality is pretty bad. All I can really hear is the fuel pump noise.

Done on an iPhone 5, was all I really had to record it. Might see if I can re-record using my mates S4 or something.

Remember these cars are noisy, sounds like my 3, I read a post on this forum by a member that thought it was the chain so he had it replaced but the noise didnt go away.
    For your piece of mind I recommend you take to Mazda and to also get a second opinion from ultimate tunes, it might cost you a few hundred but at least you won't waste money in replacing a part that doesn't need replacing which will cost in excess of $2000.
    Better for sanity this way

That's a pretty sensible suggestion chef, cheers.

It's due for a service in 3000kms. It's obviously not making noises as bad as some I've heard on YouTube, so ill sit tight, won't thrash it and get a couple of sets of ears to listen over then.

Where abouts are you?
    Can possibly have a look/listen
    I thought my VVT had gone, was just fuel pump... If the noise is mainly on passenger side, it's the fuel pump

Work in the Parliamentary circle mate.

I could be just paranoid. Had mates experience the devastation of snapped timing belts/chains in other cars, just didn't want it to happen to me if avoidable! LittleredMPS and chef's comments make me feel a bit better, could just be normal noise. It does have the Autotech internals installed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast