User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much (black) smoke do you blow?

Default How much (black) smoke do you blow?

Plenty threads on black smoke, is it normal etc, smoking turbo etc

But what I want to know is how much of it have you been known to blow? How dirty is your beast?

Naturally the MPS runs rich from factory and also being turbocharged its nothing new to learn she blows puffs of black smoke on a keen run, no dramas

Currently I'm running the turbosmart BOV at 50/50, I occasionally get a few snap crackle and pops (I'm aware of correct BOV spring set-up etc to solve this)

Driving home last night, had a burn in 2nd gear. What happened next sounded similar to a LOUD whip-crack, and the most smoke I've ever seen from the MPS.

So much I couldn't see pretty much anything behind yet I know a Ford XR6 was following just a moment ago. *Squints eyes* "Is that a grey datsun?"

So one vehicle is a part-time flame thrower, the other is a part time James bond escape smoke screen.

I'm guessing my car is a couple of kilo's lighter now Anyone else out-smoke a diesel from time to time?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

everytime i go WOT atm
    basically i cant see out the back left half of my rear windscreen... was rather infamous for it pre-GT3071, it's MUCH worse now...
    looks something like this (stolen from recent dyno day in the US) but imagine all that smoke out of 1 exhaust, not 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3907+copy.jpg 
Views:	2221 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	12685  
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Wow, this makes me feel better. I probably had as much smoke as that. Wicked pic though

Mine blows more fuel on the stock tune than it did on the cobb stage 1 tune. Which is to be expected but just goes to show how conservatively tuned they are from factory.

Reminds me of this photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350453143.828060.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	12686

Relevant:

And to answer: Mine blows plenty of puffs of smoke when I boot it but the best is when I hit the rev limiter going up the hill at wakefield park. That is a deadset blackout for any cars that are following.

@Vanq videod my car a while back, was some serious soot coming out of my exhaust, next time im in canberra, might ask him to do it again, and upload it

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    @Vanq videod my car a while back, was some serious soot coming out of my exhaust, next time im in canberra, might ask him to do it again, and upload it
    Why don't we make a ozMPSclub smoke challenge?

Class A: Black smoke
    Class B: White smoke
    Class C: Your car is F****d all kinds of smoke (open class entry)

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Lol that made my day - what a prick haha

Not so much the MPS, which blows the normal black smoke (i'm usually looking forward and holding on so I have to take others word for it) My old Mercedes is shocking when you start it. Nice thick blue smoke, can't see a thing behind you. But its normal for old Mercs. Just valve guides. Rather amusing watching a couple of dozen of them all start at the same time in canberra. Expected julia to come running down the hill and tax us all!

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Expected julia to come running down the hill and tax us all!
    Very unlikely...

M P S

Ok, so i expected julia to come rolling down the hill

Mine blows smoke like a diesel when you're up it, if you flatten it and look in the rear view, you can see it clouding everything behind.

Its the good kind though, fuel smoke, nothing nasty happening.

Mine is brand new and it does it too. Must say on my Evo I could tune it out, had the AFR's at 13's on spool up and 11.2 - 11.5 the rest of the rev range and it had almost no black smoke. I would suggest that with a proper tune on a non modified car you could basically get rid of it.

Well this morning department of transport was following me and pulled me over due to the large amount of black smoke coming out of exhaust. Went over the car with a fine tooth comb could not find anything to defect me for. My car is stock barring the magnaflow exhaust. Tried explaining they all run like this. He hooked it up to test emissions and still no defect. He was not happy but I was lol. Car was having a play in peak hour traffic so might have floored it here and there to get into other lanes etc.

Sent from somewhere in this big wide world....
    Queenslands Bossy Bitch

I havent noticed black smoke on wot but im not usually looking behind the car.. I get black on my exhaust tips but I must say it is far less after doing EGR delete and will be less again once I clean my valves and install a catch can.

Quote Originally Posted by missjody9 View Post
    Well this morning department of transport was following me and pulled me over due to the large amount of black smoke coming out of exhaust. Went over the car with a fine tooth comb could not find anything to defect me for. My car is stock barring the magnaflow exhaust. Tried explaining they all run like this. He hooked it up to test emissions and still no defect. He was not happy but I was lol. Car was having a play in peak hour traffic so might have floored it here and there to get into other lanes etc.

Jeeeez - you are one lucky lady! I have been epa'd before - its no picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    Jeeeez - you are one lucky lady! I have been epa'd before - its no picnic.
    Made me late for work and cranky at the time wasting once he could not find anything he was determined to find at least one thing.

Queenslands Bossy Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by missjody9 View Post
    Made me late for work and cranky at the time wasting once he could not find anything he was determined to find at least one thing.

Yeah that sucks but good to hear it was all good.

Well here's a challenge to those who claim they've never witnessed Black smoke out the rear window.

Next time OBVIOUSLY ON A STRAIGHT ROAD give her a boot once a while and look in the mirror.

You might surprise yourself!

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Yeah that sucks but good to hear it was all good.

Well here's a challenge to those who claim they've never witnessed Black smoke out the rear window.

Next time OBVIOUSLY ON A STRAIGHT ROAD give her a boot once a while and look in the mirror.

You might surprise yourself!
    note: best done in the day time with no one around
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    note: best done in the day time with no one around
    Day time you see best results but at night with a car behind can also work (through the headlight beams)

M P S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast