User Tag List

Thread: Clutch recommendations and fitting places in Perth

Default Clutch recommendations and fitting places in Perth

My 6 MPS will be needing a new clutch soon. I'm after a stock standard clutch as I don't race or do mods. Can anyone recommend what to get. I've had a look at MPS Garage but there's no stock clutches for 6 MPS? Also can anyone recommend a shop either around Maylands or Spearwood that can do the work. The usual servicing gets done at Melville Mazda and they have quoted me on replacing the clutch at my last service but want to find out if there's any other recommended places that may be able to do it for cheaper.

I just got fitted an aftermarket custom clutch and solid state flywheel to my 6, and it is waaaay easier to drive than the Mazda setup (also about half the price). Easier on the leg, and easier to ride (take off from the lights), although it is early days yet, only done about 200 km with it.
    Be prepared for massive labour charges (8-12 hours).

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    I just got fitted an aftermarket custom clutch and solid state flywheel to my 6, and it is waaaay easier to drive than the Mazda setup (also about half the price). Easier on the leg, and easier to ride (take off from the lights), although it is early days yet, only done about 200 km with it.
    Be prepared for massive labour charges (8-12 hours).
    Sigh, have done this twice now...

First up was stock clutch to Exedy HD with solid flywheel. This clutch was good, hooked up like nothing else, and was easy to ride. Hard on the leg though, the Missus hated it, and Exedy withdrew it from sale because of customer complaints that it was too heavy. More pedal weight than my HQ Monaro! Gives some extra vibes at low RPM.

When it failed Exedy replaced it under warranty with an "OEM equivalent" kit with dual mass flywheel. Does NOT hook up like the Exedy HD, but is vastly easier to ride than the stock clutch. Pedal weight? what pedal? It's lighter than the clutch in the Missus Lancer, but seems to hold OK thus far.

Yes, expect $600 (mates rates) -> $1200 (Mazda rates) in labour cost. They take a LOT of stuff out to get the gearbox out.

Mine was $600 the first time (good mate), $700 the second time (different bloke doing a favour for the first guy).

If your transfer case leaks, get that sorted while it's out! And if you are at all tempted to fit a downpipe, it's the perfect opportunity...

Cheers,

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

ive asked around and my mates dad has a shop that quoted around 8 hours/$800 where are you guys getting the clutch/flywheels from? links?

Default Re: Clutch recommendations and fitting places in Perth

first one was from Autobahn in Melton, who ordered it direct from Exedy.

Second I've came through them as well.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

so i've had a read of these threads -
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...-500kms-2.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...ch-review.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...-clutches.html

and I'm interested to know does any one else have any experiences with regards to the ACT clutches and the left/right hand stuff?

also found this -
    Mazda MPS 6 Turbo

does anyone have any experience with this type of clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    and I'm interested to know does any one else have any experiences with regards to the ACT clutches and the left/right hand stuff?

does anyone have any experience with this type of clutch?
    @Lacey ???

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Absolutely no difference From left to right HD. Now has 2000km on the act Clutch and streetlite flywheel bang for buck its a great clutch they say it's ment to have the same feel as a oem clutch but personally I think it's abit stiffer. Delivered from the states it was a little over $900. Edgeautosport.com