User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it worth to buy lowering springs ?

1. Default is it worth to buy lowering springs ?

hi

im in doubt if i buy springs to lower me car , is it worth it ? wil i notice any major difference in handling ?

thanks

Default is it worth to buy lowering springs ?

Maybe initially handling improvement due to lower center of gravity but before long you will blow the OEM shocks and it will be much worse than what you started with.

Springs must be matched to lowered shocks.

This has been proven many time, even i have noticed in previous attemps just lowering springs this will not improve handling! When you lower a car it put every other suspension componant out, shock, swaybars, camber, wheel alignment(until you get this done, which has to be done). To get the most out of lowering springs must be coupled to shock that will work lowered, camber adjustment must be adjusted to get balance back in a corner, depending on drop adjustable swaybar links to get sway bars back to optium working postion... Simple dropping springs in will do nothing other than look more aggressive!!!!
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Springs = cosmetic.
    As others have said you will blow your shocks 'eventually' if you go lowered springs. You are better off doing it all at once springs/struts or coilovers

As has been said, lowering springs will do nothing - in most cases it will make the handling worse.

The stock springs are designed to work in unison with the stock shock absorbers, once you change them to stiff, low springs with standard shocks you muck that all up and can get all sorts of issues.

Ever driven behind a lowered car who's rear end is bouncing all the time on a seemingly smooth road? That's a super drop in ride height with stock shocks at work. No improvement at all, except that the car now unsettles on bumpy roads where previously it didn't. That's just an example of what can result from dropped spring/stock shock setups.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

6. Default

how much is shocks + springs ?

is this any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOKICO-BLU...item41653e2ea9
    Last edited by thundercatpt; 25-08-2012 at 03:29 AM.

I done 30mm drop with eibach springs with stock shocks, looks much better and car feels just as smooth. Been on for 18 months without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thundercatpt View Post
    Im a little conerned about normal 6 and 6MPS having same part numbers for shocks and springs. 2 different cars and performace/weight etc
    @MPS2NV @Axspeed6 @rayd and other 6 owners jump in here
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 25-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Yep, steer clear from anything that says it will fit both cars.
    Might fit (which I doubt) but certainly won't be suitable

yes normal 6 parts fit the mps no probs but the spring rates are too soft and will make the car feel sluggish/body roll through the corners, and take off will be affected a lot due to the springs not being able to take the weight transfer of the body weight by the AWD to the rear of the car
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 25-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.

definitely lower = less body roll

but not too low - bottoming out and scraping everywhere !

Like anything, You change one part of a system and another is effected. Is it worth doing? what dont you like about the car at the moment and whats involed in improving that for you? A set of slighty lowered, heavy duty springs will reduce body roll and still give you enough ground clearence but you will still need to have a 4 wheel alignment to bring every thing back into a range that will not create tyre and steering issues. Changing the springs alone wont exempt you from the possibility of requiring new items in the suspension system to complete the exercise which may put the "just springs" into a high price vs outcome.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    definitely lower = less body roll
    This is not the case.

Default Re: is it worth to buy lowering springs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    This is not the case.
    Really?
    I don't agree.

I have the eibach springs and it definitely handles better with less body roll. Every other suspension component is stock.
    Why?
    I had to break hard on a bend coming home from work one day and the car felt like it would roll.

Springs and no shocks are not ideal and expect the stock shocks to die an early death.
    That said handling has improved about 15 percent , body roll is about 70 percent less in my opinion.
    How do I compare?
    Handling characteristics from a before and after track day at Wakefield park.

Some of what has been said previously is true in certain circumstances. Most of the 'bouncy' cars prob have chopped springs.
    If you are going really low you will stuff up your geometry, this is why I went with the eibach pro kit. These are not even an inch lower.. The change in camber actually helped the rear hang on through the corners better than the stock setup, it's not great for tyre wear though.. And shocks are not going to help you there anyways.

My advice - if funds permit go the whole mile.
    If not, make sure you purchase progressive rate cold wound springs.
    They will be kinder to the stock shocks and you will get a noticeable reduction in body roll and an increase in mid corner stability due to less weight shifting around.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Jmac; 26-08-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Really?
    I don't agree.

I have the eibach springs and it definitely handles better with less body roll. Every other suspension component is stock.
    Why?
    I had to break hard on a bend coming home from work one day and the car felt like it would roll.

Springs and no shocks are not ideal and expect the stock shocks to die an early death.
    That said handling has improved about 15 percent , body roll is about 70 percent less in my opinion.
    How do I compare?
    Handling characteristics from a before and after track day at Wakefield park.

Some of what has been said previously is true in certain circumstances. Most of the 'bouncy' cars prob have chopped springs.
    If you are going really low you will stuff up your geometry, this is why I went with the eibach pro kit. These are not even an inch lower.. The change in camber actually helped the rear hang on through the corners better than the stock setup, it's not great for tyre wear though.. And shocks are not going to help you there anyways.

My advice - if funds permit go the whole mile.
    If not, make sure you purchase progressive rate cold wound springs.
    They will be kinder to the stock shocks and you will get a noticeable reduction in body roll and an increase in mid corner stability due to less weight shifting around.
    Your (very good I should add) spring choice explains all.

The Pro-Kit are a variable rate spring designed to be used with the standard shock or something close to standard (eg: Bilstein B6).

If you had something like King Superlows or even the firmer, lower Eibach Sportline, you'd find what I said to be quite applicable.
    Last edited by Speed3; 26-08-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Default Re: is it worth to buy lowering springs ?

Thanks ;-)

I just wanted to point out that it's not always worse.
    Come to think of it some of the bouncy cars i see around have expensive coilovers that are setup poorly. Guess the moral is, do your research or take it to a professional (such as east coast suspensions).

You could jam a set of kings in there and get a result, if only a slight improvent. Lower, stiffer springs aren't a replacement for swaybars but still offer a reduction in body roll.

Default is it worth to buy lowering springs ?

I think getting lower springs does improve general handling somewhat. Just my $0.02, I bought a brand new MR lancer in 2000, and cut the 2 coils off the springs initially, and when I did replace with proper lowered springs there was a significant improvement in handling, and also body roll.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    I think getting lower springs does improve general handling somewhat. Just my $0.02, I bought a brand new MR lancer in 2000, and cut the 2 coils off the springs initially, and when I did replace with proper lowered springs there was a significant improvement in handling, and also body roll.

Sent from my iPhone
    That sounds to me like you experienced the improvement from dodgy cut springs to proper lowered springs, rather than a proper stock vs lowered spring comparison.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    That sounds to me like you experienced the improvement from dodgy cut springs to proper lowered springs, rather than a proper stock vs lowered spring comparison.
    and also. Lowered springs are (if done properly) not shorter than factory springs. Otherwise you will have the cut spring problem of the spring falling out of the perch on down travel.
    Also you will find that the improvement in handling by lowering a car will be found in the change of spring rates, little to do with the actual lowering of the car. definately nothing you will notice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast