User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hid

Default Hid

Hey guys

Started to notice driver side hid flicker n eventually stop working. I turned it on again n lady bout 15 secs before it flickers n dies again. Am i right to assume that the ballast is dead n needs replacing? Also would it be better to replace with an aftermarket one?

Thx guys

Try swap globes from left to right. Globe will be cheaper to fix and more likely to fault.

If it is globe, jump onto theretrofitsource.com and grab some morimoto 35w d2s in 5000k - quality globe with a nice color and improved output over stock.

As for ballasts - if you swap the globes and get the same result which suggests it is the ballast - OEM is always best. Manufacturers use the best quality ballasts and you won't find a aftermarket solution that is better. I can explain why if you need more detail but trust me. Try find a second hand one from a crashed car that has a damaged headlight as they are bolted to the headlight and a wrecker won't sell separately.

ill try the globes first. Theyre not the OEM globes so hopefully thats the solution. Thanks

No worries - let me know what you find and if you want any help from there.

The OEM systems aren't the best as far as factory hid systems go - but you will never get any gains from going aftermarket eBay specials.

speaking of hids, do you find it difficult to replace the globes as in, i can't seem to fit my hand in there to unplug and remove the bulbs. Even when following the manual and loosening the airbox doesnt help. Should i remove the whole airbox completely?

Yeh pull it out. It doesn't take long. Not worth risking damaging the globes trying to slot them in such a tight space.

Or better still - get an SRI !!

i took the wheels off to replace mine..

lot more room.. jus a pain to put them back on after :P

so did you find what the problem was?

it's always helpful to those who 'search' if you post up your resolution. ;-)

Yeah looking to order in corksport sri with box but in the mean time, want to change parker lights and d2s bulbs to some aftermarket 800k HIDs so its got a nicer blue tint to it. Will try to remove the complete airbox next weekend. What about the driver side? can i remove anything to help unplug the bulbs easier?

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

OP, it might be just a loose plug. i remember installing HIDs in my previous cars and sometimes it would flicker as the plug was sort of loose.

@akira - anything beyond 5000k and you'll lose output.

8000k is ricey, illegal, annoying to other drivers, and downright dangerous in the wet.

6000k will give you a nice blue tint, without losing too much output - but i would stick to a quality 5000k.

gonna try switching back to the OEM bulbs tonight.. hopefully that solves the problem

will let you know how it goes

I got some 6000 HID bulbs to change over in my GenII Lux to match my LEDs as the OEM go a bit yellow after about 15mins, but I have no idea how to install them

Do you have to remove the whole headlight?

Peter "SLIXX"

not sure about the 3 but should be similar to the 6

once uve done it a million times like me u can just open the bonnet and do it from there

anyway i changed the bulbs back to the stock HID ones and so far so good..

left it on for bout 2 mins and no flicker so guess the other bulb was rubbish

might look into getting a higher quality one now like u said SMOKEY.. morimoto right

Correct. Or if u want to spend a bit more and get the ultimate in lifting get the Philips 85122+ from trs.com.... Just don't buy off eBay, likely to be fake.

Hopefully theres a store in AUS that stocks them. Just gotta look around

You won't get them cheap here. They're standard in a lot of euro cars so the retailers charge a little less than the dealerships - about 300 a globe

just wanted them now is all
    gonna go with 6k, just didnt wanna wait a week lol
    prbly order from the site you gave me

18. Default

I've got 8000k ones on my previous cars and they arent to bad. Do you know what ouput the oem HIDs are?

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

@slixx, I saw a youtube clip on how to replace HIDs for Gen II. Can't remember the link but its pretty easy for Gen II's because the airbox is slightly out of the way compare to Gen Is

OEM is 4300k - but they will change colour over time - usually going bluer and losing output. The salts and hallides in quality globes (like the ones I've suggested) stay stable over a longer period time so hold their colour, and they also heat up and stabilise quicker (you'll see on cheap ebay kits how they 'flash' on start up, and then seem to take a while to 'warm up'. Good globes and ballasts should have everything cooking in a matter 2-3 seconds max).

4300k is the colour of choice for MOST useable light. It's closest to real day light, and will put most light down on the road.

Go either way in the spectrum in any direction and you're losing ouput in exchange for colour. Which is why i suggest 5000k, because you still get decent light, but with a nice euro tinge of white to the light.

And the 8000k might have seemed ok to you, but i guarantee it won't have been any light improvement over 4300k OEM's. It might of appeared better because it was bluer, and people associate the colour with high output luxury cars. But it actually would have been a weaker light. The bluer light washes out on wet roads especially bad, which is when you need the light the most. And it's also much more tiring on your eyes. It's not my opinion, just pure physics.

Quote Originally Posted by EDZMPS View Post
    just wanted them now is all
    gonna go with 6k, just didnt wanna wait a week lol
    prbly order from the site you gave me
    I run 6000ks and find them just right. No point going above 6k you start to lose light output. Hence why you see some people with bright yellow fog lights, better output.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast