User Tag List

Thread: United 24 100 octane fuel

1. Default United 24 100 octane fuel

Hi guys,

I recently filled my gen1 mps with the new united 24 100 octane fuel.
    The car feels much quicker than bp ultimate 98.
    Is this fuel safe for the engine? I've noticed the it pings a little when accelerating sometimes.

be careful when using united fuel as it has other additives and you will notice that your tank of fuel will burn faster i can get shell 100 octane here in st albans and when compared to bp there nothin in it between the two, 2 octane wont do much to power and it deff shouldn't be pinging, it should run better, avoiding knock/ping due to higher octane

my mate Tilly got a tank half full of water from a united fuel station so just be careful with them

Avoid detonation - it will destroy your engine if you make a habit of driving with it pinging every time you put your foot down, especially a boosted motor. If you want to use a higher octane routinely then re-time your engine to accommodate the new fuel. BP Ultimate has a lot of other additives and cleaners in it, and I have no idea what this 100 Octane has. As Axspeed6 says, there will be bugger all difference in performance on the swap alone. Where it can make a difference is if your new timing for the new fuel suits other mods that you might have done.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

United 100 = 98 RON + 10% Ethanol. It is safe for the MPS, though it is pointless if the car is stock, as the engine is tuned for 95 RON, 100 will do nothing.

5. Default

Thanks for the responses, the car does feel more responsive on the 100 octane Alone. How would I get the engine retimed?

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

How is it that the car feels more responsive compared to bp ultimate?

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

After putting in bp 98 again, the car felt less powerful with slower acceleration.

the factory ecu is smart enough to allow timing to advance if the fuel supports it.

a higher octane fuel will mean less chance of detonation, which is normally picked up by the knock sensor and the ecu retards ignition.

I would be surprised if there is a massive/noticeable difference - but if you want to take advantage of 98 fuel on an engine tuned for 95 (stock) then you'll need a Cobb AP and there is a map to cater for it. Alternatively any other tuning solution.

7. Default

Hi Smokey,

We have the same mps Thanks for the information, the car definitely feels quicker on 100, and then again slower on 98. Is it pinging if there is a slight delay when putting my foot down sometimes in 3rd gear? I noticed it with the 100 but not with any 98.

No, pinging (pinking) is a sound you hear from the motor like a tin can full of marbles.
    With knock sensors in cars now, unless its faulty, there is no reason why you will ever hear that noise. The ecu will retard the timing before that happens
    Last edited by bd581; 09-07-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: major auto correct fail

9. Default

ok great thanks for that, so the delay I feel when putting the foot down with the 100 fuel, is it anything to worry about? Or perfectly normal?

The ECU won't advance the timing. Saying that is like saying I can go put some ELF race fuel in and it will advance the timing and make more power. Wrong. The car needs to be tuned to advance the timing further. It will already have a set
    value that it cannot exceed. What will happen though, is it might see less knock and won't pull the timing back from what it already is. Unless your engine was already knocking, it won't make more power.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    No, pinging (pinking) is a sound you hear from the motor like a tin can full of marbles.
    With knock sensors in cars now, unless its faulty, there is no reason why you will ever hear that noise. The ecu will retard the timing before that happens
    Of course it can still knock, the ECU can't make the corrections fast enough, just ask any of the guys with a Cobb AP, I can assure you they don't all see zero knock. @SarcasticOne

Blog : Knock Retard (KR) Explained : Stratified Automotive Controls
    believe the car will REDUCE timing from what it's set to, if fuel isnt up to standard, but it wont increase (cant be certain it's safe)
    knock still happens... but it's AVOIDED detonation (where you ignite fuel too early)

knock = something could go wrong if you keep pushing
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 09-07-2012 at 12:48 PM.

^exactly....

I was referring to the pinking noise, not knock in general

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    United 100 = 98 RON + 10% Ethanol. It is safe for the MPS, though it is pointless if the car is stock, as the engine is tuned for 95 RON, 100 will do nothing.
    if thats all it is then just go get some ethanol eg meth spirits and put 1l to every 10l of fuel
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov View Post
    Hi Smokey,

We have the same mps Thanks for the information, the car definitely feels quicker on 100, and then again slower on 98. Is it pinging if there is a slight delay when putting my foot down sometimes in 3rd gear? I noticed it with the 100 but not with any 98.
    What you're describing is turbo lag, which in laymans terms is the time it takes between you putting your foot down and the engine creating enough exhaust gasses to spin the turbo.

If you had the engine tuned for the higher octane fuel, lag would be reduced. Try it on 98 and (assuming car is stock), 95 and I guarantee there'd be noticeably less.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

16. Default

If it's only turbo lag then that's cool, thanks for the explanation.