User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPS 6 first mod - undecided/torn

Default MPS 6 first mod - undecided/torn

So, as the title says, I'm undecided haha

The 3 mods I want to do are ecu tune, exhaust and intake. Anything else I will leave stock. That would make it a neat little package.

Which to do first?

Ecu I was thinking Cobb AP, but is it worth getting before the other stuff is done? ( I know there is a stock 98 map) or should i do intake first?

Intake I was thinking about corksport stage + air box? Suggestions?

Exhaust I'm waiting to see what 2xs does with a mould he was talking about in another post.

Out of those 3 mods which would be best bang for buck in order?? (eg no point getting x until you do y first)
    Or does it not matter?

Cheers in advance.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Found a post similar to mine haha teaches me for coming on late at night and not searching first ....

I may be a tinny bit biased, but our Stage II Short Ram Intake is one of the best bang for the buck mods out there. The stage two includes the turbo inlet pipe and will net you some great gains. Plus it doesn't require a tuner to run. Another popular add on is the Power Series Racepipe. The Cobb AP is a great product as well. Very user friendly, and tons of aftermarket support. There are many options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerAtCorkSport View Post
    I may be a tinny bit biased, but our Stage II Short Ram Intake is one of the best bang for the buck mods out there. The stage two includes the turbo inlet pipe and will net you some great gains. Plus it doesn't require a tuner to run. Another popular add on is the Power Series Racepipe. The Cobb AP is a great product as well. Very user friendly, and tons of aftermarket support. There are many options out there.
    i have one so i'll second that, its a great upgrade
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Yep, third.
    Have the Stg2 SRI (Corksport) with the box on my other halves 6MPS, looks and sounds great. Id do this first.
    Second I would go with the exhaust and third with the AP.

In regards to the exhaust, I would personally just go with the DP and change the rear split to a Y rather than the standard T and be done with it rather than the whole lot. 95% the performance for 70% the cost.

I've got a COBB intake with a CorkSport air box, and that was a great upgrade. Haven't done exhaust or ecu yet, and the car is entertaining to drive with a nice bit of noise - but I vote for handling mods over power mods. Tame the boat good sir.

Yeah, I agree...I have the Corksport stage 2 SRI and still grin everytime I boot it. AP on the way, so that is going to be my second mod.

Second mod these days should prob be HPFP to set the foundation for future mods

Yeah, that will be next. (after RMM which is coming with AP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Second mod these days should prob be HPFP to set the foundation for future mods
    Corksport SRI and TIP, 2XS LED lighting-: interior, parkers, fog lights and number plate lights, painted brake calipers (black), cPE REM, Cobb AP, Corksport front strut brace, Corksport rear sway bar, Autotech HPFP internals, Xforce cat back exhaust, Xforce DP, HPFP etune.

The CS cbe is pretty nice, farken loud though! Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    The CS cbe is pretty nice, farken loud though! Just saying
    Who doesn't like farking loud things?

Plus it looks killer when it's nice and clean.

-Tyler

No point tuning the car without mods done first.

Start with SRI - Exhaust - then Tune it all.

downpipe - intake - HPFP & AP

i've wanted to mod my MPS too, since it's bone stock at the moment, lol, i've been trying to find an answer but can't seem to find one... i want to get this front mount intercooler:
    CorkSport MPS 6 Power Series Front Mount Intercooler Kit with Cold Air Induction | MPS Garage

my question is, with the TMIC being replaced with an airbox to become a RAM intake, is that better than getting the SRI stage 2 that was built to fit with this intercooler also? i've contacted the website, as i wanted to get the SRI and the FMIC (i was just after a shipping quote), but he questioned why i would get the SRI and said that the top mounted air box, as described in the link, was much better... is he just trying to screw a few extra bucks out of me? or would replacing the intercooler spot with an air box with the FMIC be a good way to go?

Buy direct from cork sport IMO... (they're a site sponsor)

The full set up is really quite neat and tidy which I like! Hides our ugly engine too...

It's probably about the same in terms of performance, but the ram air set up gets air through the TMIC ducting, which is rather clever

they're also not trying to screw you out of a few extra $$$
    stage 2 SRI + FMIC = 700+250 = $950 + shipping
    FMIC + Ram Air = $900 + shipping
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 18-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

if corksport's a site sponsor, do i need to say anything for possible discounts or for their data/statistical purposes? buying from corksport seems alot cheaper, shipping depending, lol, MPS garage had the SRI stage 2 + intercooler for around $1,300 and this RAMAIR kit for $1650 + shipping ($50 or so)... thanks for the tip :P

should ask though, with this RAM kit, what's the risk of water getting into the intake and causing problems? for example, if i got a scooped bonnet, would that be a bad idea for wet weather driving? what if with no scoop and just driving in rain, any chance of water getting into that part of the engine bay? (i'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to engines, but i'm always trying to learn )

with the ram kit there is very little to no chance off any water getting in to it, a CAI on our car's on the other hand can suck it up but it would have to be a big puddle

sounds godo to me last question (hopefully) there's an optional "boost cut killer", should i get that as well? i know it cuts off the factory boost threshold, but for an extra $75 is it worth it? or only if i start upgrading more like the exhaust and whatnot?

Get cobb AP for that because our ecus run more then just a boost cut theres the torque limiting in first and 2nd to

corksport website says it doesn't offer shipping to my location when i check for shipping rates? anyone had that problem before?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast