User Tag List

Thread: Service at 6 months or 10,000km?

Question Service at 6 months or 10,000km?

Hi All, I have my second service due - 6 months was up on 8th December, and I got a friendly letter from Mazda - however the sticker in the car put on by the dealer at the first service suggests 10,000km is when my next service is due.

So I guess it's a 6month/10,000km service? I've only done about 7500km, what do people usually do - wait for the Month figure to be up, or the km figure - depending on how I start now will dictate how it will go in the future.

yeah oil will only last 6 months before it's no good. ive done a few service with 5000 km's or less since the last service.

It's 6 months, OR 10,000km

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Great, thanks for the replies - I'll book it in then - my brake pedal started making a clunk sound today when you take your foot off it (first time I've driven it in 2 weeks after a holiday - and something went "twang" when I was reversing it out of the driveway)… and I might get the Auto-locking turned on, so I've got some other stuff that can be done/looked at.

Unless you're driving very short journeys which don't allow the engine to heat up sufficiently, there is absolutely no reason to have the car serviced at less than 10,000km intervals. The oil will most certainly last significantly longer than 10,000km. Ask your service manager, if he's genuine he'll tell you that your car does not need to be serviced yet.

The fact of the matter is that 10,000km is too frequent to change oil and 6 months is totally unnecessary. The reason these intervals exist is profit. The dealers make more money servicing than they do selling cars. In Europe where there is a different culture (read less price gouging) you'll find the same cars with a 20,000km service interval.

If you're up for some reading have a look at post #18 where I've outlined how changing oil too frequently can be harmful to a modern car. http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...changes-2.html

Gone to Volvo