User Tag List

Thread: mazda mps vs?

Default mazda mps vs?

Hi all,

as some of you may have read in the introduction section i was looking at buying an mps. now i have put a deposit down for a gen2 mps3 but am not getting it until Feb. as im going overseas in the next couple of days, anyway

i was having a discussion with a couple of friends and there not saying the mps is slow but just think that the BA - BF xr6Turbos will destroy the MPS3 on a straight line (Stock Vs Stock) what do you people here think? did anyone experince racing first hand?
    and in that case, how does it go against WRX's? lol..
    because im working and cant take time of work i got my brother to go check the mps3 out in adelaide and his the one that test drove it, so i still havent even sat in one yet so i ahve no idea how they go...
    from what ive herd on this forum they are little pocket rockets hehehe....
    I dont want use to get the rong impression of me street racing/dragging because im really not but i want the car to have enough balls to keep up to the "sickcu*t" cars.

thanking you all in advance..

The 3 is tricky to get off the line as well as the cars you mention. That's what holds it back. Rolling start however it should be a bit quicker that the falcon and a bit more quicker than the WRX.

I think that's a honest unbiased response. I expect a few disagreeing responses now because "I ran a ......... and beat him" blah blah blah.

You won't be winning many drag races with the MPS but its mid range torque and in gear acceleration is very strong.

Straight line speed you are in the same ballpark as an XR6T, but you will brake, corner and handle twice as well as any idiot in a falcon ever will. They are so badly overweight, under tyred and under braked from the factory it is ridiculous.

At the track, the vast majority of commodores and falcons that I have run with are complete and utter shite, straight line speed is broadly similar to my MPS but they can't brake or corner for the life of them.

Every dickhead and his dog thinks his car is the fastest thing on 4 wheels. That said, there are 2 XR6Turbos that I have tracked with that have impressed me, both of which were running slick tyres, had big brake kits and had been jacked up to at least 300kW at the wheels. One of them could do a 10.5 second quarter mile and he blitzed me on the straights only for me to catch him at the first corner, every time.
    Last edited by Reedy; 13-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.

"but you will brake, corner and handle twice as well as any idiot in a falcon ever will"
    Woww, so basically i think i had the rong idea about mps's then i really had no idea they would be good around the track... i thought because it being a front wheel drive car it would handle shit around corners.
    sounds good il start taking it to track days )
    thanks alot in you reply's guys, seems like everyone on here is real friendly

Seen how the MPS goes in the Targa rallys and production car racing?

They're brilliant around corners and on the track. Even in stock trim

Add some strategic handling mods, in particular mods to help curb the mid-corner and exit understeer, and they're even better

I never view the MPS (6 or 3) as a standing start drag car. It's too short in the legs. And 2nd gear is too close to 1st and needs to be a tad higher. Great in traffic but I never even try to out-jump the big auto sixes and V8's from a cold start, partly because I respect my running gear too. But I'll kill a lot of them once rolling. 3rd gear is dynamite. So is 4th. And 5th......

as they guys in america are likely to say... never try and get the jump on a RWD/AWD from a standing start
    can start to pull them in from ~40 mph (~65km/hr) which is 3rd

rolling starts (aka overtaking) are a MPS's forte... "launching" them is a PITA

also, if you do wish to do any drag racing, please do so at a designated drag strip (woohoo for being forum nazi!)

Wrong.
    You keep spelling it wrong.

Also, buying a car without test driving it yourself? derp? Surely you can find a MPS locally to have a crack at. Big lump of money to be buying something sight-unseen.
    Last edited by MadAussie; 13-12-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsexn View Post
    "but you will brake, corner and handle twice as well as any idiot in a falcon ever will"
    Woww, so basically i think i had the rong idea about mps's then i really had no idea they would be good around the track... i thought because it being a front wheel drive car it would handle shit around corners.
    sounds good il start taking it to track days )
    thanks alot in you reply's guys, seems like everyone on here is real friendly
    The MPS corners very well but does suffer from FWD power understeer on corner exit. Quite badly. FWD is not the ideal drivetrain layout for racing but anyone who tells you it doesn't work at the track is a mug. There are 2 FWD cars at the track days i've been going to lately that are faster than every other car i've seen.

hehe i know how to spell but im just trying to type quickly as im at work.... anyway, i test drove a xr5 turbo, a golf GTI, a 200sx s15 all at car dealers lol and when they asked me "what cars are you looking into" and i said "ohh a mazda mps3" all 3 car dealers said "oh ok, well then this is nothing like an mps, an mps is out of this league" lol which i found real strange because usually salesmen would say anything to make their xr5/GTI/s15 sound better than an MPS but nop not even 1 cardealer tried. lol

and, SarcasticOne, what??? how is that possibly 3ed gear at 65km/h i thought it would still be in 2nd at that speed?

Meanwhile MPS6 power on is a great oversteer! Don't forget that Mazda reportedly aimed at the drifting market with this car too, and it does this very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Meanwhile MPS6 power on is a great oversteer! Don't forget that Mazda reportedly aimed at the drifting market with this car too, and it does this very well.
    kekekekekkekee, I'm glad someone mentioned it. I reckon the 6 would make Keiichi Tsuchiya giggle...

As everyone has said, mid range torque is where it's at.

The MPS doesn't handle as well as other FWD cars, including previous Mazda FWDs, but, does handle better than alot of other FWD cars.
    I'd say it's slightly above average handling.

Suspension work and tyres will improve most of it's flaws, except the weight.

If you want a straight line drag monster - get an FG XR6T, tune it and buy the stickiest rubber you can find !
    Sure, it might pull low 12's, but it wont stop out of the box, wont handle out of the box and (unless you find an expensive one that FULLY optioned) is as taxi as they come !

If, however, you want a sweet car full of fruit that handles, steers, brakes, has AWESOME in-gear acceleration and uses an acceptable amount of fuel - then go the MPS 3. The ONLY thing that this car is not 100% at is a standing start, full throttle launch. And if that's your deciding factor, then don't buy this car.

In saying that though, there certainly isn't anything wrong with standing start acceleration (6.1 sec to 100km is certainly not hanging about - it's B-series XR8/XR6T fast !!!), it's just that there is SO much more to like about this car than it's 0-100 prowess...

Well said ^

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

I only ever have runs from rolls as in 30km/h+ for the reason no catch of me screwing up the start or doing driveline damage and also its the MPS's surprise factor lol