User Tag List

Thread: Windscreen crack!

Default Windscreen crack!

Stone chip and -7 degree temps on the way to Cooma = mofo big crack in my windscreen. I've drilled a small hole to half depth at the end of the crack to try and slow down its progress but that hasn't done enough, and I don't want to go all the way through the windscreen for fear of ruining my shit.

Ok so I need a new windscreen, that much is clear. Now here is the part where you guys recommend places that will do a good job, and wont charge like a wounded bull. I went to the glass shop in Jindabyne on the weekend and he quoted about $350 off the top of his head.

Also, for replacement jobs, is it better to take it to their shop? Will they do a better job there? How much extra do places like O'brien charge to come out to you?

Also, is the MPS windscreen the same as a regular Mazda3? i've got a feeling they will charge me more if I tell them it's an MPS. I can't see why it would be different.

O'briens was 550 for theirs, either take it to their shop our they come out to you, no price diff

Took about an hour to do, then you can't move your car for am hour

They can suck ma bawls for $550, i'll drive down to the snow next week and get it done for $350 in Jindy while i'm there!

So the cost is seriously the same whether you get a callout or not? I've got a feeling they would do a better job with the car in their workshop.

Your cars not the Lux version i hope... those windscreens are expensive because they have the sensor for the wipers in them.
    otherwise its the same as the mazda 3.

5. Default

apparently the OEM MPS windscreen is extra stengthened over normal 3/6 windscreen and not the same. For purposes of glass shops like O'Brien they will put the same one on as the same one fits both ... maybe this is just me cause i get pissed off when someone for example say 'oh your car is just a mazda 6'

Do you have the lux car with auto sensing wipers or whatever fancy things come with that ?

And I would get windscreen cover on top of your insurance, I also believe you can get it on top of your road side assistance ... me personally I like to put the proper MPS windscreen back on not the generic 6 one and you dont want to be forking out $1300 (or something) each time you cop a rock ... or even $500 for that matter
    Last edited by blackbetty; 11-07-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

No I don't have a luxury model.

Windscreen replacement was $55 with my insurance, I figured that in 10 years of driving I had never cracked a windscreen, until this week that is. So as long as I can get it replaced for $400ish then I am still ahead.

Also, thicker glass = heavier! If a regular Mazda3 windscreen fits and weighs less then that's a bonus!
    Last edited by Reedy; 11-07-2011 at 08:58 PM.

O'Brien quote is $454, will see if I can get a better one from expressautoglass.com.au

Express Autoglass quoted $260, , nice try O'Brien.
    Last edited by Reedy; 12-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Just make sure they don't get the sealant anywhere on the black plastic trim. It'll stain it quite badly

I had the windscreen replaced on my Golf GTI and they absolutely butchered the trim with sealant overflow, and sealant fingerprints. Never got it completely off

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 12-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    They can suck ma bawls for $550

Bahahaha

Final tally:

O'Brien = $454
    Action Mobile windscreens = $330
    ExpressAutoglass = $260

obrien did mine for free due to me paying the extra 60 for windscreen protection on my insurance.. win

Ok job done. Will see in the next few weeks if the seal job was good and hopefully the windscreen doesn't creak. It was bloody cold today so hopefully the seals don't shit themselves come summer time.
    Last edited by Reedy; 13-07-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Windscreen is going great guns, its been snowed and rained on in the last 2 weeks and has no dramas. The windscreen also doesn't creak like the OEM one did when driving around slowly.

One of my workmates had a chip in his windscreen this week as well, he used the same guy as me and it only cost $80!

Good consumer advice here, Express Autoglass is a good cheap option!
    Last edited by Reedy; 28-07-2011 at 01:59 PM.

It's not the windscreen that creaks, it's the plastic scuttle under the wipers. The windscreen guys would have had to remove and refit it to replace the glass. Sounds like they did a better job of fixing it down than Mazda did at the factory

Good to hear Reedy

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

16. Default

I've had 1 windscreen every year I have owned my MPS.... Since 2007... Except in 2009 where my windscreen broke 2 days after getting replaced... $200 later, bargain... Insurance covers the rest.

So total windscreens replaced 5. In 4 years