User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My Engine Build

Startup was today. Cranked it over to buildup oil pressure and then she came alive. No scary noises or any leaks. Hopefully I can get it run in pretty quick so I can start using some boost and get back to making some decent power

Awesome to hear! You'd always be a little nervous starting up for the first time. If the engine didn't turn itself inside out immediately then the chances of it lasting a while are a lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Awesome to hear! You'd always be a little nervous starting up for the first time. If the engine didn't turn itself inside out immediately then the chances of it lasting a while are a lot better!
    Hell yeah I was stressed to the max. Just as I was about to go take it for its first run the missus asked if I could drop something off for her. I won't repeat my response.

Love the head games you get rebuilding ( did i do this ,did i do that ,was that torqued right etc etc ) (oh shit i think i forgot something) .
    IT can only go BANG once!!!!!!!!!

So far so good. Done 100kms, ran it up Mount Ousley and Bulli Pass giving it plenty of load. Vibez be crazy, with the aircon on the steering wheel shakes quiet noticeably. Will definently need to add some sound deadener to some interior pieces to stop the rattles. Combination of BSD and the engine mounts definently not for daily drivers. Even with minimal boost car pulls along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Love the head games you get rebuilding ( did i do this ,did i do that ,was that torqued right etc etc ) (oh shit i think i forgot something) .
    IT can only go BANG once!!!!!!!!!
    I triple checked everything when I installed it and still have that feeling. Making sure you install things in the right order is pretty important too. Nothing worse than having to remove things to fit something you may have missed. I somehow forgot to put the oil squirters on before I installed the crank, luckily I was able to squeeze them in, lol

What kind of running in procedure are you following? Do 1000km's then drop the oil? Anything special worth sharing? I want to get mine run in asap once it's finished so I can get it tuned and back to full fitness!

What kind of running in procedure are you following? Do 1000km's then drop the oil? Anything special worth sharing? I want to get mine run in asap once it's finished so I can get it tuned and back to full fitness!
    Probably a bit overboard but I'm using cheap mineral oil. First start I warmed it up drove about 5km then changed it. Then I'm gonna do oil changes at 200km 500km and 1000km where i'll check compression and maybe go synthetic.

200km down time for an oil change. Did a few quick logs to check state of tune and looks smooth enough. After being for a good drive I can honestly say BSD and hangovers are not a good mix.

800kms down. 4 oil changes done already and yesterday I put the stock TMM back in, and yes just as the motor is run in. HUGE difference. Vibrations have nearly gone and BSD is only really noticeable on heavy deceleration. The JBR mount definently makes the car feels a lot more alive, planted and gear changes so much more precise. Car is running sweet as and pulls nicely even on spring pressure, so tempted to run more boost already. Planning on doing a compression test in the next few days once I hit 1000kms. I decided I will probably stick with mineral oil up until 1500kms.

MOAR BOOOOOST!!!

What's your recommendation for the BSD for a daily car? Will the Mrs complain constantly or is it female friendly? We could simply omit that detail when we reassemble it.....

I was wondering the other day, does forged internals require the balance shaft to be changed as well? When you change the weight of all the reciprocating masses I would have thought the balance shaft might be thrown well out of whack? I'm not sure exactly which harmonics get cancelled out and what effects what but it's good to see the BSD hasn't ruined your life.
    Last edited by Reedy; 10-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.

MOAR BOOOOOST!!!

What's your recommendation for the BSD for a daily car? Will the Mrs complain constantly or is it female friendly? We could simply omit that detail when we reassemble it.....

I was wondering the other day, does forged internals require the balance shaft to be changed as well? When you change the weight of all the reciprocating masses I would have thought the balance shaft might be thrown well out of whack? I'm not sure exactly which harmonics get cancelled out and what effects what but it's good to see the BSD hasn't ruined your life.
    If you only have an upgraded RMM you will hardly notice the BSD. I don't think a passenger would notice anything different than usual. Side mounts are what make the vibrations VERY evident.
    Your balance shaft should install no problems. Do you know whether Mitch removed it with the motor at TDC? Supposedly it's the best way to make sure it gets installed correctly. If you have time free we should organize a quick drive so you can see for yourself.

Changing sparks plugs will be so much easier now. And more space for the TMOC that will be using the hood scoop.

Before

After

The other question about the BSD is does it cause the motor to wear faster with the added vibrations? Don't think anyone knows the answer to that one for certain but you say it isn't really noticeable while Rayd said it was the worst thing he ever did. I don't know what to believe!

The other question about the BSD is does it cause the motor to wear faster with the added vibrations? Don't think anyone knows the answer to that one for certain but you say it isn't really noticeable while Rayd said it was the worst thing he ever did. I don't know what to believe!
    To be fair - when i did the BSD I had 80Duro rear mounts and 80Duro side mounts, i didn't try put the OEM mount back in for comparison. Plus the idle vibes weren't that bad (although definitely bad enough for a passenger to ask wtf is wrong with the car), but that wasn't the problem; it was when it was at full load where the cars cabin suddenly transformed into a rocket mid launch and my brain felt like it was being rattled in a cage.

Will be interesting to see how yours feels rob once you get back up to the 300kw mark. thats when mine was just too much to put up with.

1000km and compression test done. 170 on all 4. Not bad, should still come up a little bit. Engine was purposely built a little loose so I'm happy with that. Catch cans are empty too which is a good sign. More boost?

Coming along nicely there. Ideal compression should be 180PSI yes?

This is pretty good considering you didn't go for oversize pistons. bores must have been in pretty good shape even before you had it Honed.

Coming along nicely there. Ideal compression should be 180PSI yes?

This is pretty good considering you didn't go for oversize pistons. bores must have been in pretty good shape even before you had it Honed.
    Yeah bores were perfect. Piston to wall clearance and ring end gaps were setup for track so are not as tight as stock. Due to high heat of track use I didn't want to risk rings butting ends. Still on a cold startup you can't tell its forged, there is no piston slap or unusual noises. Engine is mostly run in but it takes a few thousand kilometers to be 100%. Hopefully compression will increase another 10%
    Last edited by ledfootrob; 12-11-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Sweet. Bodes well for my build then

Cp-e Pistons are coated so shouldn't get piston slap anyway. In theory at least.
    Last edited by Reedy; 12-11-2014 at 02:20 PM.

20. Default

Good job mate, you would of saved shit loads of cash doing it yourself. My time has just about come for rebuild.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast