User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Versatune - new tuning solution for the MPS

Default Versatune - new tuning solution for the MPS

In my internet travels I stumbled upon a new tuning solution for the MPS called Versatune. It uses a J2534 interface to communicate with their software on your computer via the OBDII port, similar to some of the solutions used for Evo and WRX tuning. I couldn't find any mention of it here so thought I'd start a thread.

Their blurb says:
    VersaTuner is a full-featured performance engine tuning software toolset. VersaTuner is the all-in-one tool for recording, analyzing, modifying, and monitoring your engine’s performance.

It's currently available for the US Mazdaspeed 6 and EU 6MPS, with beta testing for the US Mazdaspeed 3 and EU 3MPS happening now.

I've asked on their forum if they have looked at the Australian market, and if they need any beta testers here. It could be a great tuning solution for us!

More info is here:
    VersaTune » Products

Sign up to their forum and let them know we're interested, so we can see if it will work for us too. I imagine if the EU MPS's work with it then we should be OK.

Forum link is:
    VersaTune • Index page

I've also placed the link to this post on their forum, hopefully they can come here and answer any questions we have. Since we can't use the Cobb AP I can see this taking off over here.

No one?

Well I've ordered the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable already and as soon as the VersaTune software for the Gen 1 3MPS becomes live I'll get it and let you all know how it goes. Watch this space.

does this mean you can make tunes for thing like intake+intercooler+DP instead of hypertech which is just intake?

Yep

Thanks Dan. Lot's of potential here, the next level you could say in personal tuning. But I would think you'd need to have a general idea of what you're doing if you start going custom.

But I did read they are conservative tunes, which must be better than Hypertech.

VersaTune have got back in touch with me. When I'm back in town next week we're going to attempt an ECU read off my car using some software they send me and I'll send them the data file downloaded from my ECU so they can have a look.

They're confident that all will work just fine.

Will update as more happens.

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Thanks Dan. Lot's of potential here, the next level you could say in personal tuning. But I would think you'd need to have a general idea of what you're doing if you start going custom.

But I did read they are conservative tunes, which must be better than Hypertech.
    A couple of the things which caught my eye were the effort they have put into the data logging side and making the tuning tables used for adjusting the tune make sense to non-pro users. You can start off conservative with a stock tune and work from there, or you can download a variety of base tunes from their forum which are written for certain mod combinations, climates and fuels, then tweak to your specific setup.

Or you could go to a decent tuner and get them to do a straight-up dyno tune using this software.

My plan is to work from a stock Mazda tune and a Hypertech tune, and do step-by-step tweaks from there, with the help of the Versatune community.

i would be curious to see how this goes... might have to get it myself

Awesome idea and if the customer service is there its perfect

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

I know a GTi that has this its awesome, no matter what conditions he has the lappy connected to the car and drives it daily and records everything. Sends the info to them and they look over it and make adjustments to the tune. Most likely though need to use same fuel (brand wise).

Benefit is that you can run any tune you ask and upload pre drive.

His been at it for like 8 months and every update has been a bit better, now they are working on making the power delivery smooth as possible
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

I'm going to buy a netbook and put it in the car just for data logging and downloading/uploading tunes. Will probably mount it in the glovebox somehow.

Sounds interesting Dan, I will watch this space! good work mate!

Netbook to sit in the glovebox has been purchased, it's going to be a fun September!

BUY Lenovo S10-3 (06475CM) 10.1" Atom N550 Netbook | MegaBuy Computer Parts

Overnight the VersaTune guys sent me a software tool to check the ECU Calibration ID of my car (aka firmware version). Did a read just then using the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 plugged into the cars OBDII port and my computer and sent them the result. If anyone is interested this is what my car showed it was running for firmware.

Current firmware version: L34LEJ000L3T6050

If this matches one of the versions of firmware they are setup for it would mean we're right to go, if not I guess they would need more info off my car. I assume that our firmware version maybe the same as the EU delivered cars, but am not 100% sure.

Will update as I get more info.

Subbed!

Subbed what to see how the results pan out, TD have you had it dyno'd before?

Yep. Last dyno was at Chiptorque 5000km after installing the 2XS FMIC.

Mods were:
    - Mazdaspeed CAI
    - 2XS FMIC

Did 174.6kw atw then, there's a dyno graph somewhere on the forums here if you search for 2XS FMIC and my name, I think I started a thread on it way back when. I haven't done a dyno run since I flashed with the Hypertech, but I'd guess I'm around 185kw atw with that.

My Corksport SRI&TIP combo plus Corksport DP arrived today, so they will be fitted for the next power run which means the baseline won't be comparable to before, but having figures on the Chiptorque dyno already means I will use it to check next time there is a dyno day or similar.

Just had a reply from VersaTune:

"Your firmware is a little different from the European Mazda 3 MPS/US Mazdaspeed3. We will adapt our product to be 100% compatible with Australian cars shortly."

Nice sounds good, i guess figure will be figures but its the way it drives that counts . If your able to crack 200 sounds like a good tune and option

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    Just had a reply from VersaTune:

"Your firmware is a little different from the European Mazda 3 MPS/US Mazdaspeed3. We will adapt our product to be 100% compatible with Australian cars shortly."
    awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Nice sounds good, i guess figure will be figures but its the way it drives that counts . If your able to crack 200 sounds like a good tune and option
    im not so fussed about max power figures etc, but if we can improve throttle response, im all for that
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I asked for some information this afternoon, got a quick reply from them.

Generally, once we have a base platform ready (like 1st generation MS3/3 MPS), making it compatible with each specific country takes up to a week. But the end result is that we don‘t flash some generic firmware from another country to your car, but use the exact same base firmware that is used in your country and retain all the safety features and regional customizations. Please also note that we base our flashes on the latest factory calibrations, so by using VersaTuner, you automatically update your ECU to the latest firmware with the latest bugfixes and improvements.

The flashing process that we use is basically fail safe. Even if you lose power in the middle of the process, the car will wait for a new flash that can be provided using our recovery tool. So no risk there.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast