User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wong noise..

Default Wong noise..

I know this has been covered else where but I can only find small bits of info on this problem...

I recently had the car in at mazda for its 30,000 service, not long after the service I've noticed the car when turning either way has developed what seems to be the dreaded wong wong..This seems to only occur when the car is cold, usually in the mornings and after work. And goes away shortly after!!

Can anyone confirm this might be the problem, or give me a link to more info!!

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    I know this has been covered else where but I can only find small bits of info on this problem...

I recently had the car in at mazda for its 30,000 service, not long after the service I've noticed the car when turning either way has developed what seems to be the dreaded wong wong..This seems to only occur when the car is cold, usually in the mornings and after work. And goes away shortly after!!

Can anyone confirm this might be the problem, or give me a link to more info!!

Cheers
    Differential noise, I believe. Penrite SIN75W90 gearbox oil got rid of it once and for all for me. Covered by warranty.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Cheers Nexus..I'll give mazda a call and have a chit chat

Nexus is spot on. I'm surprised that Mazda dealers are still doing the gearbox oil change with the wrong oil, a tech note to all service managers telling them to use Penrite SIN 75/90 for the 3 MPS gearbox and LSD oil change was sent to them ages ago...

5. Default

What exactly is the "wong wong" noise? Is it the noise I might be hearing when I am driving at certain RPMs in 4th gear?

The "wong wong" is the sound of the LSD gears when turning the wheel and applying some throttle, noticeable after the incorrect gearbox oil is used.

Your 4th gear noise is likely to be some other harmonic vibration, could be influenced by many things such as tyres and tyre pressure, gearbox etc

Yep, or redline MT90 I believe

8. Default

The noise originates from the LSD

Redline MT90 only fixes the problem for about 3000km.

Go with my original solution (thanks to Oldmac Mazda Cleveland). Penrite is a permanent fix and warranty covered.

Just a note to the moderators - the Wong Wong fix used to be a sticky. You might want to put it up again.
    Last edited by Wardski; 26-04-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Penrite SIN75 is a GL5/6 lubricant.

GL5 is a different spec, and is not 'backwards compatible' with GL4.

GL5 gear oil is a lubricant with very high extreme pressure performance needed for Hypoid gears where sliding and rolling contacts operate under very high loadings. It has a high sulfur content. The downside to such high sulfur in oil is it tends to corrode yellow metals, so can ruin parts like brass synchronizers and some bushings. So any equipment needing GL5 performance is designed taking this limitation of the lubricant into account.

GL4 oils are much more friendly to yellow metals, and so are used in equipment where such high load sliding-rolling contacts aren't present. The designers of such equipment aren't as limited in the use of brass parts. So the bottom line is that if your equipment calls for GL4 it probably doesn't need GL5 performance, and you may be asking for trouble down the line if you use a lube it wasn't designed for.

The reason MT-90 works so well for Mazda trannies is that they do not use friction modifiers which lets the synchronizers get a good bite on the gears and get them up to speed during a shift. Don't be surprised when you start getting crunch shifts after adding friction modifiers or a GL5 oil.

Adding friction modifier reduces the bias capacity of the LSD. It amazes me that people will open their exhausts to make them louder and blowoff to atmosphere to hear the pssshhhh and then cripple their LSDs because it makes a slight hum when turning at low speeds as part of its NORMAL OPERATION.

I know this may not be overly popular with everyone here, but watch out for one wheel spins, and crunching gears when trying to hurry the synchros.

.. but I can hear you typing "mazda has covered this under warranty"
    Sure.. nothing will break. fall apart.. or fall off the car. Especially in the warranty period.

Long term:
    synchro's wont be happy, LSD will never work correctly after it has been slipping for that long. Mazda wont care by then.

Short term:
    synchros having to work much harder (like slippng your clutch all the way to work) when shifting quickly, because they are not as grabby.
    You looking like an idiot as the VW golf blows you off the lights because you sitting there doing a one wheel wounder.

Plagiarised bits and pieces for all over the place to put that together.
    Last edited by Doc; 26-04-2010 at 12:27 PM.

All well and good Doc, but when you have the "wong wong" it isn't a slight hum...it's pretty damn loud! If the Penrite didn't work I was selling up, that's how bad it is.

.. I didnt think it would be a popular post..

I hate band aid fixes from car companies that should and do know better.

However XT-M5-QS Ford motorcraft gear oil is GL-4, and seems to cure everyones woes..

interestingly the spec number for it is WSD-M2C200-C.

Which is the same spec number Nulon synthetic GL-4 gear oil

Not sure how had it is to find here.. but if you were at the point of sale.. then maybe look into it..

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    All well and good Doc, but when you have the "wong wong" it isn't a slight hum...it's pretty damn loud! If the Penrite didn't work I was selling up, that's how bad it is.
    was this under partial throttle in 4-5-6th gear with the wheels straight, or was the the woong woong with the wheels turned?..

Anyway dinner time...
    Last edited by Doc; 26-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Wheels turned variety of wong wong. But do I have the partial throttle 4-5-6 noise too...

Every MPS 3 ive ever driven (and its quite a few) have had the same thing..

Its a chunky butt gear box .. solid and defiantly capable of extra power.. (not like the xr5 thing).. but with that comes a little noise..

its a hatch muscle car.
    I bet you have an upgraded mount too.. that makes it twice as bad.

I am curious about the GL-4 magic fluid, and Ill do my homework and report back when I know whats the go.

As with Mazdas advice.. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can wee wee.

Doc

If you get a local source for that Motorcraft GL4 let us know, would be curious to give it a go.

Agreed on the gearbox noise too, goes with the type of car and I've heard it in every other 3 MPS also, so I'm not concerned about it.

Don't get me started on Mazda service...

lol

ill sort it out

16. Default

I'll talk to my friendly neighbourhood chemists about GL4 vs GL5 tomorrow.

Excellent.. would be good to get some other info

hey all, does anyone have the technical service bulletin sent to mazda dealers regarding the gearbox oil? Took my car in for a service and told them about it, but they said they cant find it...

cheers

19. Default

There isnt a bulletin. There is however an internal memo to most of the dealers advising them of the fix. If they dont know, and refuse to deal, then go to Oldmac Mazda Cleveland or Springwood. They will fix it!

I Just started getting the Wong Noise on my BL MPS with 8,000 km on the clock. Low speed turning with steady throttle.

Just did a 10K service 2 wks ago.

Changed the tranny fluid as well. They put some castrol stuff in it i believe..... Receipt at home.

Now question is, what is put in the tranny from the factory as i never experienced the noise before?

And is this because of the new fluid or does the noise just happen sooner or later?

With 4 yrs of factory warranty should i go straight back to mazda? (rockdale btw)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast