User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you got a notchy gearbox!

Default Have you got a notchy gearbox!

hey everybody recently i had my engine overhauled and turbo changed for which my mech (bayside performance autos or bps) dropped the entire engine out to do the work in which they did a fantastic job, labour is very steep tho as they work on cars of the exotic/prestige kind.

Anyways long story slighty shorter, when i got the car back they told me there was a problem with the gearbox and that it was going to need a rebuild, this came as a shock because when i bought the car into them there was no problem, no noise! yet when i got it back horrible noise when shifting 1st to 2nd grinding and notchyness and wouldnt let me shift 1st to 2nd without a fight whilst going slow.
    Would seriously take about 7seconds to shift. Every other gear was unaffected and would shift normally. After discovering this i babied it everywhere to avoid grinding the gears, about a week later i rang the mech and said why is this happening, what could cause this to happen after it had no problems before. He argued with me saying it just needed a rebuild but i refused believe that was the case so i researched everything that was on my invoice down to who made the oil what is in it etc.

I discovered that they had put a thicker oil in the gearbox 75w-90gl4 (technically not their fault as that was the original spec when the gen 1 came out) mazda sent out a service bulletin back in 2008 changing the spec oil to 75w-80 gl4 across all models with manuals.

So i took it down to mazda the next day to get it done while i was there one of the technicians who used to own an mps reccomended 75w-85, so thats what i did and i helped alot with shift feel made it feel like butter even in this cold weather but still it would grind!.

After a few more arguements with my mech they still refused to belive that its anything but needing gearbox rebuild.
    After another week of scouring this forum and the interweb i found a video starring JBR on how to adjust the shifter cable, THIS WAS THE KEY!, this is what took away my grinding and general gearbox trouble i know it is nothing new to most of you with short shifters but for those who have recently bought a second hand mps or you are just having troubles with your box then please try this before you get a rebuild, it costs nothing and may save you thousands, although it maybe already too late for some as if you dont fix the grinding relatively soon it will destroy the gears but even if this only helps one person then ill be pleased. So now im back to my powershifting ways and hard launches with out a trouble from the beast at all (i think it enjoys being driven hard lol)

Sorry To every one who read this post before i was able to edit it on a real computer my tablet hates forums for some unknown reason haha?
    Last edited by 01KDT; 16-05-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Woah, punctuation please!!!

Full stops and spaces between paragraphs...

just to add this is a 2006 mps 3 with nearly 118000klms and yes my mechanic is both gob smacked that i figured out the problem and that he wont be gettin his 2 grand from me, also cannot find the link to the shifter cable adjustment thread or video if anyone knows where it is please post it up cheers

yeah sorry about that my tablet spazzes out on this forum hence why i dont post much it lags out so bad then wont let me fix it up its areal PITA took about 2hrs just to write that

I changed my gear box oil to 75w85 and it made heaps of difference.

I was really pleased. After about 2 weeks, I noticed that on cold it still is a bit hard to get into 1st and 2nd

But when it's warmed up it is seriously like butter

Link to vid please regarding shifter cable?

Peter "SLIXX"

yeah still a bit stiff in the morning but no where near to the degree of the original stuff

Quote Originally Posted by 01KDT View Post
    yeah still a bit stiff in the morning but no where near to the degree of the original stuff
    Sounds like me most mornings

Quote Originally Posted by 01KDT View Post
    yeah sorry about that my tablet spazzes out on this forum hence why i dont post much it lags out so bad then wont let me fix it up its areal PITA took about 2hrs just to write that
    My iPad does the same thing :P

But thanks for the info
    My Baby 2005 Mazda6 MPS Dark Purple

Mods|Corksport SRI+Airbox|Corksport TIP|CP-e REM|JBR EngineMounts 80A|20% Tint|Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges (Boost & Water Temp & Oil Pressure)

Ordered|Corksport TMIC|Cobb AP|

This is totally news to me, someone needs to let whoever runs that fluids thread that they need to update their sh!t, I swear it says 75w90 still. May have to do another Gbox oil change when I do the next oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    This is totally news to me, someone needs to let whoever runs that fluids thread that they need to update their sh!t, I swear it says 75w90 still. May have to do another Gbox oil change when I do the next oil change.
    This is the last post in made to the definitive gear box thread
    The definitive gearbox oil thread
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=256333

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

My box has 75w85 for Gen1, think u should also change mechanics,they sound a bit dodge.

15. Default

the mechanics are brillant they work mainly on porsches,ferrari's, lambo's etc so i guess they just werent ready for the awesomeness of the mps but they are much more used to ppl throwing money at them and just replacing things as soon as there is a problem

Hey Slixx,

thats what I get for not reading the thread on this forum :P Even though I had changed by then. I used the one on MSF.

Not to worry, up for finishing the coolant flush, transfer box and oil in a couple of weeks, so I will get the box sorted then as well. With the maf calibration and finishing off a few bits currently the car is only being driven once a week if that at present, as it is just easier to grab the other one for running around (and who wants to drive home from the gym on nice leather seats?).

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    This is the last post in made to the definitive gear box thread
    The definitive gearbox oil thread
    The definitive gearbox oil thread - Page 14

Peter "SLIXX"
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

17. Default

what brand 75w 85? I currently have 75w90 penrite full syn but still have wong whine

18. Default

Slixx has posted the brand and a picture of the oil in the link above

Yup as posted
    Penrith Progear Full Syn 75w85

When it first went in it was like a dream. Full smoothness and so buttery!!

After a week or so it takes the first 4-5 changes to warm up esp on a cold morning and then it gets there. But 100x better than the old stuff

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by gotboost View Post
    what brand 75w 85? I currently have 75w90 penrite full syn but still have wong whine
    If u have a gen1 castrol have a fully synthetic called syntrans 75/85 , not cheap about $32 a liter , add some nulon G70 , will be like brand new.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast