User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk clutches

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    So, can you re use stock flywheel?
    Dual mass flywheel in our cars cannot be machined, and should be if you are fitting a new clutch.

So no...you cant.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Dual mass flywheel in our cars cannot be machined, and should be if you are fitting a new clutch.

So no...you cant.
    At 1100 ex mazda that eats the big one

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Just piss off the dual mass and go standard mate.

Bit more vibes, alot less weird arsed clutch.

Just piss off the dual mass and go standard mate.

Bit more vibes, alot less weird arsed clutch.
    Thanks jace. I was worried about increased nvh and drivetrain shudder.

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

So who is running the act or the spec kits? And which one? What flywheel are you using and what is the impact on drivability

I had the Spec 3 and fidenza flywheel. this is a good clutch little bit harder than standard feel bites in hard can stall easy at first until yout get use to it, drivability 7/10

Apparently the stage 3+ is actually a more manageable clutch than the stage 3, how true that is...I have no idea

8. Default

@Jmac i am looking at getting a new kit aswell. the unit you were looknig at is good - for track use; not very confortable if you are going to be using it on a daily basis. i am looking at the ZX5-HDSS (ACT Street Clutch kit w/streetlight flywheel) - it could be slightly lighter than stock and can be used for street and track. also make sure you get a ceramic if you have mostly track work and organic if you are going to be mostly street - for comfort reasons.
    get it out of the states and its $735 shipped. you can get it locally for $1050.
    alot of people in the states use this and i have seen good feedback so far.
    Hope this helps
    p.s.: ill be getting my kit after tax returns
    Last edited by dar_vedar; 19-06-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Apparently the stage 3+ is actually a more manageable clutch than the stage 3, how true that is...I have no idea
    the stage 3+ is a disc metal ceramic type clutch i think = better drivablity, the stage 3 is a ceramic puck design
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    the stage 3+ is a disc metal ceramic type clutch i think = better drivablity, the stage 3 is a ceramic puck design
    Yep that's right, the 3+ is disc type, any disc type will be a much smoother engagement feel than a pick design, imagine the puck design as fins of a fan, you can easily stop it from spinning by putting something in its path. Hence the rough but strong engagement of a puck style clutch

CP-E released a range of clutch/flywheel kits today.

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Yep that's right, the 3+ is disc type, any disc type will be a much smoother engagement feel than a pick design, imagine the puck design as fins of a fan, you can easily stop it from spinning by putting something in its path. Hence the rough but strong engagement of a puck style clutch
    puck type clutches also heat up alot faster and dissipate the heat faster to which if the person driving is inexperienced in using a quick engagement clutch this will cause it to over heat and start to disintegrate

Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    CP-E released a range of clutch/flywheel kits today.
    Orly...better have a look

When you ditch the DMF for a real flywheel, you will only notice extra vibes if you load the engine up below about 2500 rpm.

I have the Exedy HD kit. Heavy pedal, but awesome grip, and yet better slippage than the stocker.

Cheers,

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    When you ditch the DMF for a real flywheel, you will only notice extra vibes if you load the engine up below about 2500 rpm.

I have the Exedy HD kit. Heavy pedal, but awesome grip, and yet better slippage than the stocker.

Cheers,

Chris.
    @Victa
    What about normal driving around under 2500rpm (not loading up), still get vibes?

Sent from my iPhone
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post

Cheers,

Chris.
    Thats like 90% of driving

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Axspeed6 View Post
    quick engagement clutch this will cause it to over heat and start to disintegrate
    I've gone to a few of those 'drive our supercar' places, and their clutches can be practically 'dropped' at anything remotely approaching appropriate RPM. Is this what you're referring to as 'quick engagement'? as in, you don't need to 'baby' or 'slip' the clutch in, you can release it quite fast?

sorry for noob question :P

Holy crap
    I went to the Edgeautosport website and looked under clutches and i almost died with the amount of choice
    No good for a noob like me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I've gone to a few of those 'drive our supercar' places, and their clutches can be practically 'dropped' at anything remotely approaching appropriate RPM. Is this what you're referring to as 'quick engagement'? as in, you don't need to 'baby' or 'slip' the clutch in, you can release it quite fast?

sorry for noob question :P
    quick engagement is just that quick engagement its hard to explain say on a stock clutch you have 3 inches of pedal movement as your clutch engages (from when it starts to bite to when its completely engages) on a quick engagement unit you will have an inch maybe less of pedal movement between first bite to full engagement.

they use quick engagement so on high rpm launches the clutch doesnt slip when they drop it (well not half as much as a standard clutch 80% less slip) providing power straight to the wheels quickly off the line/during races also the materials used in hi performance clutches cant be "ridin" as much as it burns out quicker but holds a lot more power hence the quick engagement as well

hope this helps

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    @Victa
    What about normal driving around under 2500rpm (not loading up), still get vibes?

Sent from my iPhone
    on load up you get bad vibes from 1000 - 1750 rpm they calm down a lot after 1750 rpm but if you are just cruising no load keeping the same speed then there's none but really you shouldn't be loading up to much if the engine is under 1500 rpm as it causes strain at one of the cranks harmonic frequencies and can damage your motor, with a "real" clutch you take off at around 2500 - 3000 rpm mark as you cant baby a quick engagement clutch and stay above 2000 rpm i generally dont go below 2500 rpm unless im cruising say 6th gear on a highway
    Last edited by Axspeed6; 28-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.

A Reply from Exedy reagrding the feel of their clutches and in point about the difference between Heavy Duty Clutch Kit and Heavy duty Cushion Button Kits
    Exedy - Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
    Exedy - Cushion Button Clutch Kit

"The Clutch listings we have for the Mazda MPS all include a solid flywheel replacement.
    Your vehicle was released with a Dual mass flywheel, which what you heard was correct, cannot be machined and should not be re-used!

The Exedy Sports Tuff (Heavy Duty) is mostly used for lightly modified vehicles or those used for towing (where the demand is greater than standard). These kits contain a higher clamp load clutch cover and an organic clutch disc with sprung dampers to smooth out disengagement & engagement.

The Exedy Sports Tuff Cushion Button Clutch has a spring loaded centre in a cushioned button clutch which provides a reasonably smooth transition when releasing the clutch, but still giving increased engine torque. The clutch kits contain a high performance clutch cover assembly and ceramic clutch disc with cushioning & release bearing. The Cushion Button Clutch doesn’t give you quite as much flexibility as an organic clutch would."

If you don’t mind a heavier feel, the cushion button clutch is a great clutch.
    They do engage earlier, they are a more aggressive clutch than the organic clutch, more grip and but still drivable due to the cushioning between the plates."

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast