User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Softer aftermarket alternative to Sure/CP-E rear engine mount?

Some people are extremely sensitive to vibes, this is a good alternative for someone with a near stock car, anything more I'd be looking at a stronger bushing.

I've got an OTS 98 tune on my car now with this mount, solid shifter bushings and good gearbox oil. Perfect for me.

Sorry to bring up old thread but looking at this mount and the part numbers on eBay suggest its from 2013 focus?? Is this correct still anybody know? Same part number so am I right in assuming its the same part originally spoken about earlier and will fit Mps3 gen 1.
    Thanks.

I would just follow the links I posted earlier in this thread to purchase. It is possible that Ford have started using this mount in other Focus' other than the Electric one, but I'm not sure.

Also mine is a Gen II so not sure if it fits Gen I but it should from compatibility of other mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBong View Post
    I would just follow the links I posted earlier in this thread to purchase. It is possible that Ford have started using this mount in other Focus' other than the Electric one, but I'm not sure.

Also mine is a Gen II so not sure if it fits Gen I but it should from compatibility of other mounts.

Thanks dude. Are u still happy with it now its been a while?

Yep, still extremely happy. It's basically one of the only few option for peeps like me who have no tolerance for vibes but want some kind of improvement over stock.

But I'll maintain that for owners who constantly go Formula 1, the lower duro cp-e might be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Sorry to bring up old thread but looking at this mount and the part numbers on eBay suggest its from 2013 focus?? Is this correct still anybody know? Same part number so am I right in assuming its the same part originally spoken about earlier and will fit Mps3 gen 1.
    Thanks.
    Prob the same for focus as for MPS as the Cobb REM same for Focus and MPS
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Digging this thread up.
    @GoonBong, how is the mount going?

I currently have a JBR 70 duro rmm which doesn't seem to want to settle down. I have put 2000km on it and the vibes are still pretty intense at take off in 1st gear and on over run. I took the mount out and reinstalled it and torqued it with my warren & brown torque wrench so no issues with overtightening. Made no difference.

I then put the stock one back in and damn it felt like I was driving a Rolls Royce, but the drawback was the shift feel has returned to being completely shit.

When I put the jbr mount in, I changed out the tranny oil with Castrol Syntrans and the shift were almost perfect with a great feel. With the stock mount back in the difference is like night and day.

How has the Ford mount held up? Does it make the same improvement to shift feel like an aftermarket mount?

Hey mate,

Mount is going well. I've had both the Sure (urgh) mount with street urethane and the CorkSport inserts. Both had vibes that I though were a bit much for a daily drive. Missed the refined feeling of the factory mount.

Compared to aftermarket, it's a big difference in terms of vibes/noise. But definitely an improvement over stock in terms of wheel hop, shift feel etc. but definitely wont be as tight as a 70 duro mount. Have a browse through some threads on the various ST forums that have swapped out their mounts for this one and you'll get a good idea of what you're getting into. I reckon this mount, some solid shifter bushings and the oil you're running is pretty much the best compromise you'll ever have.

Worst case scenario, you get the mount and don't like it - you'll be $100 bucks in the hole and just swap back in the JBR mount. At least you'll have a softer mount to switch over to if you just need a break from the 70 duro one!

Cheers,
    GoonBong

Thanks mate, looks like I'll give this a try.

Maybe the jbr one needs more time to break in, the 2000km I put on it was pretty much gentle driving.

2000km is more than enough for a mount to settle in and this 'settling in' period where mounts apparently soften up a bit is pretty exaggerated IMO. After it has been in there for a while it will still be 95% as stiff as it was when it went in.

Yeah damn it I hoped that wasn't the case.

Overall I'm happy with the jbr mount with the way it improves the car, its just that initial vibration that I hate. Our car has zero rattles in the interior but I can't see that lasting much longer with this mount as the whole dash vibrates when moving off in first, and you need to be pretty careful about when to change back to 2nd cos if you get it wrong and don't keep the revs up high enough, then it vibrates. Doesn't really make for good driving when you want to take it easy. Sure, if I were nailing it everywhere I go then there would be no issues!

FYI I got an ugly rattle in my instrument cluster that I reckon was caused by my old Sure mount. Had it fixed under warranty luckily.

Yeah that is lucky. That's what I'm worried about, dash rattles drive me crazy.

A large portion of my commute home is in very slow stop start traffic that is going up hill. You can imagine what that is like with the jbr mount in!

@GoonBong,

After a week of driving around with the stock mount I cracked it and put the jbr one back in on the weekend and then took it for a thrash.

The vibes are still there, but the harsh edge have been taken off them. On clutch take up its a bit vibey but no longer rattles buttons on the console or the cluster. Now I can dawdle in 3rd gear to the point where the engine is starting to labour and when I accelerate it no longer rattles itself to bits.

Its actually improved a fair bit so perhaps when I took it out and reinstalled it the first time I may have not followed the sequence for torquing bolts.

Pretty happy with it now - torque steer largely gone and the shifting feel is very tight and notchy (also put in a jbr ssp).

As long as you're happy with it, that's the main thing. Yep, torque settings apparently can make a big difference but glad it's better than it was champ.

Looks like I spoke too soon, harsh vibes are back and all bolts are torqued correctly.

I'll order this Ford mount.

Mount ordered from Fast parts network and has been shipped.
    @GoonBong, which bolt did you have to get separately for the Ford mount?

I can't just use the Mazda ones?

I had someone install mine for me and just told them that it probably needs a bolt, so if it needed one they would have just found one to fit. Don't think you can use the Mazda one but you could always give it a crack and see.

I concur with you champ re: those solid polyurethane mounts - they're hardcore. Don't know how people put up with them.

The vertical bolt that I used on the jbr mount is the oem one, so I can probably re-use it with the Ford one as the mount basically has to fit in the same space.

The horizontal bolt on the jbr mount was different to oem, so hopefully one of those two will fit the Ford mount.

Yeah the vibes are just too much for a daily driver. I love the way how the gear shift are better and torque steer is almost non existent, but in stop start traffic its just too much. I don't know how the 'because racecar' crowd put up with it to be honest. The cabin rattles are simply not worth it.

I passed on the WRX due to its poxy poor quality, rattly cabin. I really don't want the MPS to end up the same way!

Edit - do you get that annoying gearbox/shaft clunk/thunk through the gears? That annoys the shit out of me and that alone nearly makes me want to swap to a WRX
    Last edited by Brissy_MPS3; 21-03-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast