User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 Transfer Case (mps dog box?)

Default MPS6 Transfer Case (mps dog box?)

hey guys,
    so had my mps6 in a few weeks ago for a transfercase leak and just today comming home from work, (i'm pretty sure it is the gearbox) there was a god awful whine that started. gears 1-3 is pretty bloody terrible and the rest aren't as bad. and its also shuddering around corners at slow speeds. and this whole problem started and gradually got worse since the transfer case service. has this happened to anyone else? it is within the 3 month period from when i had it in the shop the first time so would my best bet be take it back to kerrys and ask them politely to fix it?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by goda View Post
    hey guys,
    so had my mps6 in a few weeks ago for a transfercase leak and just today comming home from work, (i'm pretty sure it is the gearbox) there was a god awful whine that started. gears 1-3 is pretty bloody terrible and the rest aren't as bad. and its also shuddering around corners at slow speeds. and this whole problem started and gradually got worse since the transfer case service. has this happened to anyone else? it is within the 3 month period from when i had it in the shop the first time so would my best bet be take it back to kerrys and ask them politely to fix it?
    cheers
    This sounds like an oil issue..( Wrong type of oil, had this happen with a 4wd years ago ) and I may have read it in here too somewhere without searching for it. I could be off the beaten track but the wrong oil will do things like that...

PS. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by 240MPS; 17-10-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    This sounds like an oil issue..( Wrong type of oil, had this happen with a 4wd years ago ) and I may have read it in here too somewhere without searching for it. I could be off the beaten track but the wrong oil will do things like that...

PS. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yeah you could be right, either way I'd take it back immediately and get them to check it, could also be gearbox oil as they touch that too when they drop the transfer case.

Just a thought, have you tried the handbrake up 1 click thing? This will de-activate the drive to the rear wheels and if the problem goes away then it is AWD/transfer case related if it remains then it would gearbox/front transaxle related.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

thanks for the info but it got BAD the next morning, made a detour into kerry's on the way to work. apparently its my fault the transfer case is still leaking and that i'd have to pay for it again. keep youse mob updated.

I was under the impression that the leaking transfer case was a recall job?

What a Crock of crap. how can it be your fault if they repaired it???
    if they used the wrong oil or oil additive, and it is leaking again, Hmmmm, wrong oil can cause excessive wear. I would be straight to the fair traders people. that is a wraught that they want you to pay for it again. I would suggest there is an issue somewhere else if it keeps leaking.. like maybe they didnt correctly tighten the bolts, or maybe they didnt even replace the seal( fix the leak..) so many options... go get a second opinion for sure..

yea they admitted it that it was thier fault that is still leaking and that the noise i heard was one of the engine mounts crapped out. so i told them to fix the transfer case and i'll would be in wednesday morning to pick it up (got to give them some time to order parts and fix it). but i got a plan, they'll make me pay again, which i will, but as soon as i walk out the door i'll ring my bank and put a hold on the transfer of funds. going to order new mounts for engine, gearbox and diffs from mps garage and just get my mechanic to put them in. MadAussie, i heard a few rumours about that myself, do you have any recall notices/ news articles relating to it?

yea they admitted it that it was thier fault that is still leaking and that the noise i heard was one of the engine mounts crapped out. so i told them to fix the transfer case and i'll would be in wednesday morning to pick it up (got to give them some time to order parts and fix it). but i got a plan, they'll make me pay again, which i will, but as soon as i walk out the door i'll ring my bank and put a hold on the transfer of funds. going to order new mounts for engine, gearbox and diffs from mps garage and just get my mechanic to put them in. MadAussie, i heard a few rumours about that myself, do you have any recall notices/ news articles relating to it?
    I just realised your in Darwin you don't drive a black MPS6 in the Durack area ????? And kerry's service Hmmmmm I've been here 7 months and I haven't heard a could report with them for the sales side of things not to sure about the service side, I just had my Pajero service right next door and I'm over the moon with the 30,000k service $269 .
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

they'll make me pay again, which i will, but as soon as i walk out the door i'll ring my bank and put a hold on the transfer of funds
    going to have to be mighty fast with your phone there my friend, bank transfers are pretty much instantaneous these days, and the sale won't process if there is a hold/insufficient funds, so you can't do your plan before the payment either. just giving you a heads up mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    going to have to be mighty fast with your phone there my friend, bank transfers are pretty much instantaneous these days, and the sale won't process if there is a hold/insufficient funds, so you can't do your plan before the payment either. just giving you a heads up mate.
    Very true... but Credit Card transactions are easily reversed...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

11. Default

Hi everyone,
    I just have my MPS6 transfer case leak repaired last week (they discovered that during my 100000 km service) and the engine is noisier than before and it also seem lack of power. Took it back and they did various check and update the s/w ... blah,blah,blah . They claimed that an external sound muffing shawl fell off and have to order that in from Japan. However, the car is a little quieter. I suspect they must have done something without telling me the whole story.

Digging out this thread, does the MPS6 Rear motor mount act as the transmission mount for these cars? Or is it a separate mount?
    I want to see if changing the trans mount makes my whine go away, however before I do that I want to know which mount I'm ordering...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Digging out this thread, does the MPS6 Rear motor mount act as the transmission mount for these cars? Or is it a separate mount?
    I want to see if changing the trans mount makes my whine go away, however before I do that I want to know which mount I'm ordering...

Cheers!
    I had the CP-e rear mount installed along with the CP-e rear diff mount and TT forward diff mount at the same time and mine whined a little, not sure if that helps you or not. However also had the MPS3 switch installed which disabled the rear diff, this was handy on long drives as my whine was quite noticable around 100-110kph!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

This is more akin to the under load/ dog box noise the OP was talking about.... I'm going to do a full trans and diff oil change tomorrow evening after work, but if the noise persists I'm thinking that the next step is engine/trans mount. The noise only happens under load... No whine at speed/ cruising

Sounds like you are describing a normal whine for these cars. When engine load increases, the AWD control module increases the duration of the diff coupling solenoid to transfer more torque to the rear wheels. The whine is a harmonic caused by the diff coupling engaging and disengaging many times per second and this is why it gets louder under load. Aftermarket mounts transmit more of this sound into the structure of the car.