User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 - Diff Whine - Any fix yet?

Default MPS 6 - Diff Whine - Any fix yet?

Mate of mine diff has been whining since he got his mps6

This however is between 35-45km/h and then 68-92km/h which is really big

He will be getting new tyres soon so hopefully that helps but has there been any idea on solving this problem apart from the mps3 switch.

Should i get him to get diff mounts or something?Or just get a loud exhaust?

Thanks

There are several things that could be contributing to whine:

1. low or old diff oil;
    2. wrong size tyres/rims;
    3. Tyre pressures imbalance;
    4. Left/Right wheel imbalance.

Upgraded Diff mounts will exacerbate diff whine further.

I would look to wheel balance and tyre pressures first, followed by diff oil change. There is no way to eliminate it unless you do the MPS3 switch, or pull the hand brake slightly so as not to engage the hand brake, but this is known to shut the power down to the rear diff.

I had diff and transfer case oil changed around 80-90,000km I think and it didn't make a huge difference, the biggest thing was a good wheel allignment and regular rotation and balance to ensure even tyre wear.

thansk guys...really appreciate it

I used to get a whine at about 80km/h when I had the original Bridgestones. After changing tyres the problem went away. In my experience Toyos and Vredesteins are fine. I believe it is a resonance noise because it only happens in a narrow band of road speed. Might be worthwhile researching which tyres available in Aus. sort the problem.