User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Clunk MPS6

Default Rear Clunk MPS6

Hi Folks,

Today when I left the work carpark I heard a 'clunk' from what I think to be the rear diff.

When I stop to think about it I may have heard a noise like this before, but not very loud.

I have only ever heard it ( maybe a total of 3 times) when I have taken off from the car being parked for a reasonable period of time. (IE end of work, or over night some where)

Has any one had previous experiences like this or are able to shed light on it?

Help is appreciated.

Sean

Do you use the handbrake?

Might be the handbrake sticking on a little and then letting go when you start to move...

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    Do you use the handbrake?

Might be the handbrake sticking on a little and then letting go when you start to move...

Chris.
    Whenever the car is parked I whip it on, though I don't stretch it to kingdom come.

From my limited mechanical knowledge I always thought it might be something to do with it.

had a similar issue,

make sure that all tyres are at the same pressure, otherwise they will cause differences in tyre height, which is bad in a 4WD as the DIFF will be out of sync between the front and rear tyres which cause a clunk as it slips and recatches.

I had a similar sound when a rear tyre was flat, every corner i would get a clunk sound.

Currently i have another clunking sound that only happens when the engine is cold and changing gears but once everything is up to temp it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    I had a similar sound when a rear tyre was flat, every corner i would get a clunk sound.

Currently i have another clunking sound that only happens when the engine is cold and changing gears but once everything is up to temp it goes away.
    im actually having the exact same thing - engine side sound when changing gears, cant hear it after it warms up though... if you work it out let me know

yeah no worries. My car goes in for its service on thursday but i doubt mazda will find anything

Ok will check my tyre pressure, fairly sure they will be consistent but wont hurt having a gander.

Thanks for the help so far

9. Default

I always will get this same clunking noise say after i have washed the car, left it in the garage overnight then drive out of the garage the next day (or after a period of time). Always happens after Ive washed the car ie wheels etc and drive the car after its been sitting for sometime .. I just figued its something to do with some parts on the wheels/brakes etc being totally soaked, drying off in that position and the clunking is some 'unsticking' of some kind

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    I always will get this same clunking noise say after i have washed the car, left it in the garage overnight then drive out of the garage the next day (or after a period of time). Always happens after Ive washed the car ie wheels etc and drive the car after its been sitting for sometime .. I just figued its something to do with some parts on the wheels/brakes etc being totally soaked, drying off in that position and the clunking is some 'unsticking' of some kind
    +1

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

i had a clunking noise or chatter noise when my suspension links became loose.

but thats in a 3mps not a 6

Its not so much pressure as much as tyre height, since its front heavy, just gauge it with your eyes , if you cant use a tape measure, just make sure that the tyre height is roughly the same between all tyres, this may mean you need to fiddle with the pressures ... depends on the tyre i guess

Thanks again for the replies!

I heard it again this morning, its odd that its only when it has been stationary and not during the drive.

I will have a look at the tyre height, I will steal my brothers electronic leveler tools.

The tyres aren't the OEM one's, but they are on the stock rim still, I will have to check their specs exactly when I go home tonight.

Thanks again!

Didn't happen when leaving work, lol!

As long as all the tyres are the same model and pressure, you should be fine. You're not by any chance turning full lock out of a car park are you?

I find my handbrake sticks if I've been driving in the wet and park in my shed, but I notice when reversing from a car park (and sometimes moving forward) at full steering lock, there is a clunk which is just the rear diff winding up.

Nah just drive straight out, no lock on the wheel at all.

I will check the pressure in the next few days, the last few days in melb have been really cold, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    +1

Chris.
    That clunk is just the rusted up pad releasing from the disk. Lots of cars do it but it can alarmingly loud.

It didn't do it again today when leaving for work.

How mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post

Your clunk sound could be the RHS engine mount - it's the oil filled one which tends to fail as it gets older!

The driveline clunk could well be tyre pressures - check this first and if you get a chance to go under the car have a look at the diff and give it a push and shove if it moves a lot then the mounts may be in trouble!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Mine does this when it has been standing for a while with a high moisture content in the air (or having washed the car or rims). It will be the pads sticking slightly to the disks.
    When you move off they make a ‘doonk’ noise. It is all kosher. If it is making loud serious noise when driving or cornering then I would look at diffs tyres and stuff like that.
    But as you pull away from an extended period of standstill I say it is the brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast