User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Rims 101 for Leelu (Gen II)

My apologies Linda, it occured to me that all this time I had not supplied an image demonstrating what I mean. Please find first post ammended to include this and again, apologies.
    Hope you have been able to manage to clean your rims "ok" up until now.

My rims will be painted a dark grey next weekend do this should make it easier

My brake Calipers are the problem the front ones are a mixture of black and orange rusty colour. Not on sight on the silver exists. They are getting painted too!

I used AutoGlym wheel spray to help clean my Rims along with a soft wheel brush

I recently bought Prima Wheel armour from Zas (on Dan's advice) and the high pressure hose once a week gets them back to shiny. No more back breaking scrubbing

Thanks Dan

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    My rims will be painted a dark grey next weekend do this should make it easier

My brake Calipers are the problem the front ones are a mixture of black and orange rusty colour. Not on sight on the silver exists. They are getting painted too!

I used AutoGlym wheel spray to help clean my Rims along with a soft wheel brush

I recently bought Prima Wheel armour from Zas (on Dan's advice) and the high pressure hose once a week gets them back to shiny. No more back breaking scrubbing

Thanks Dan

Peter "SLIXX"
    Hey Peter, but yourself a brass brush disk for your grinder to clean up your calipers. They look nice and shiney afterwoods.

Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I'll have to do this as I know they have to look perfect for painting

Thanks heaps.

Anything else of cleaning them or just hot soapy water??

Peter "SLIXX"

A good APC (All Purpose Cleaner) or Prepsol works well

Also, for the rust colouration (which probably is rust), you can use an acid-based cleaner like Finish Kare SIRR, which you spray or paint on, let dwell for a couple of mins (no more than 5 mins IMO) and then hose off. May need to be repeated again to get everything (warning: don't let it near your brake pads though, or if you do, hose it straight away)

Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover 946ml

FK SIRR is a really good product, highly recommend for removing metal contaminants. I use it on paintwork also when I'm prepping cars for paint correction. Makes claybarring much easier . Should only be used on paint though if you're taking the car back to basics (ie if you're planning on stripping waxes/polishes/paint protection off it to re-apply)

With any of these you'll want to go over the areas again afterward with some soapy water to remove any residue. You can then go over it again with the grinder and brass wheel to shine it up if you want, but if you're planning on painting the calipers, you may not need to do that.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 02-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I forgot this thread existed!

My rims are currently dark brown
    How could you forget your awesome advice
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    How could you forget your awesome advice
    Hi, this is Rogwicks agent Natasha.

I have been authorised to comment on his behalf. Rogwick is currently away on social activites. Of late he has been booked out. I'm sure you understand this time of year he makes MANY appearances at functions as everyone enjoys and desires his company.

It's not easy being 'awesome' so I was employed to help manage his burden. Yes, Rog's rims are currently dirty but he has penciled in a detail for this coming weekend upon his return from Ibiza.

He also wishes to thank you for the 18 messages you sent him on the weekend. He will get back to you shortly.

Thank-you.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I'm tipping the majority of the 18 messages are from lawyers and process servers wanting to deliver restraining orders

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    I'm tipping the majority of the 18 messages are from lawyers and process servers wanting to deliver restraining orders
    Hahaha! Never...

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Matte black rims is the answer

Apply a shitload of wheel sealant onto the rims once they are clean...makes cleaning after that a piece of piss.

That and purchase a long wheel brush

And a little brush to inside in between the wheel nuts!

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    And a little brush to inside in between the wheel nuts!
    Peter "SLIXX"
    ^

Only for those of us with OCD

I have three different sized/shaped brushes and a microfibre wash mitt dedicated to wheels, tyres, and under the guards
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I have 2 sizes and a wash mitt for the wheels under guards and separate one for the exhaust and tyres but struggling to find a decent one or the wheel nuts

Any suggestions Dan?

Peter "SLIXX"

I'll PM you the one that I use. I won't post up a link out of respect for our sponsors (bought from a non-sponsor)

I also have the brush to clean around the wheel nuts lol it becomes a bit of an obsession

I find a cloth works best as a brush never seems to get in all the areas I want.

I can't believe all the serious comments to this thread about wheel cleaning when it started off as a joke toward Linda...you guys (and me) have issues!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    I also have the brush to clean around the wheel nuts lol it becomes a bit of an obsession
    Hey dru where did you purchase that from?

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I find a cloth works best as a brush never seems to get in all the areas I want.

I can't believe all the serious comments to this thread about wheel cleaning when it started off as a joke toward Linda...you guys (and me) have issues!
    I use a cloth too, I find it works best. Well, correction, I used to . Not being able to wash my baby is making me sad panda .

I agree with that statement Andre, you do have issues .
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Another great way to keep you Rims "looking clean"

Peter "SLIXX"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast