User Tag List

Thread: Rims and Rubber

Default Rims and Rubber

I have an 09 MPS Luxury and of course it has the standard rims and rubber that came with it. So my question, what do you use and what would recommend to keep them nice and shiny.

I went to Super cheap for a gander and saw some Megs products there, but it is said only use on blah blah blah and then I knew I was stuffed and clueless

Mayday Mayday ...

Roger Mayday

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but standard 6MPS wheels are painted, so you have nothing to worry about regarding wheel cleaners (I'm assuming that's the sort of product you were looking at).

When you have bare metal wheels you have to stay clear of acid based cleaners as it stains them. Painted ones no dramas. So if anything for you, stay away from "acid free" cleaners cause they don't clean as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Roger Mayday

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but standard 6MPS wheels are painted, so you have nothing to worry about regarding wheel cleaners (I'm assuming that's the sort of product you were looking at).

When you have bare metal wheels you have to stay clear of acid based cleaners as it stains them. Painted ones no dramas. So if anything for you, stay away from "acid free" cleaners cause they don't clean as well!

I too could be wrong here but I believe you shouldnt use acid based cleaners on your painted wheels if they have any paint missing (i.e. "gutter rash", etc) because the acid will attack the exposed metal.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong???

As my rims (unfortunately) arent perfect I wont use acid based cleaners on them. I just use a sponge (thats saved for washing rims and wheels and nothng else) and the remains of the car wash bucket when finished washing the car. That sponge and a wheel brush to get into tight spots. Works for me.

As for the rubber, I use Armor All "Extreme Tyre Shine". Comes in a squeeze bottle. Spray it on, wipe off the overspray on the rims with a rag and leave it. (DONT wipe overspray on tyres tho.) Looks schmick.

Good luck with it,

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

Now I will be showing my ignorance, I have a MPS3, are rims different to the MPS6?

use Simple Green for your rims....that is what i use - pick it up from bunnings for a couple of bucks, and spend the rest of a good wheel brush to get the brake dust off the front.

i just use the left over water after i clean the car. they are stock wheels and not jap pieces so I dont think they require extra special care. i've got a crappy sponge to use for the wheels and a lug nut brush (which is great to use)

anyone have a good tyre shine product? I dont really like the gel stuff cause it doesnt get on evenly when the tyre has ridges n stuff.

Get yourself a good wheel sealant and forget the wheel cleaners altogether.

Also, 3MPS wheels are painted.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    i just use the left over water after i clean the car. they are stock wheels and not jap pieces so I dont think they require extra special care. i've got a crappy sponge to use for the wheels and a lug nut brush (which is great to use)

anyone have a good tyre shine product? I dont really like the gel stuff cause it doesnt get on evenly when the tyre has ridges n stuff.

As for the rubber, I use Armor All "Extreme Tyre Shine". Comes in a squeeze bottle. Spray it on, wipe off the overspray on the rims with a rag and leave it. (DONT wipe overspray on tyres tho.) Looks schmick.

Leon

Get yourself a good wheel sealant and forget the wheel cleaners altogether.

Also, 3MPS wheels are painted.
    I use this product which I got from ZAS, works great on my black painted rims, makes it so much easier to clean

Prima Wheel Armour AIO Wheel Sealant | Prima Car Care Products | Premium Quality Detailing Products
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

10. Default

I'm with Leon, i use armour all on wheels and rubber and comes up nice and clean.

I loaned my MPS to my brother for a few weeks (to clock up some km for tax purposes). Before he returned it he gave it a wash and cleaned up the interior for me. Unfortunately for me he used Armor Oil products. Left my cars interior like an oil slick and I still haven't totally gotten rid of the stench.

Armor All is crap. Not many people will disagree with me.

I loaned my MPS to my brother for a few weeks (to clock up some km for tax purposes). Before he returned it he gave it a wash and cleaned up the interior for me. Unfortunately for me he used Armor Oil products. Left my cars interior like an oil slick and I still haven't totally gotten rid of the stench.

Armor All is crap. Not many people will disagree with me.

Joel I TOTALLY agree there. I only use the ArmorAll on the tyres. That's all I was recommending. NO WAY will I use their product on the interior of the car. Been there, done that years ago and like you cannot bear the greasy slippery coating it leaves. For the interior I have just discovered Meg's "Gold Class Dash & Trim Foam" and am very happy with the resultant look and feel.

Leon

Ah OK. Well to be honest, I'm not familar with their tyre products so can't comment. But if it's durable, give a finish that you like without slinging then stick with it for sure.

thanks for all your help peoples, I think I will be placing an order shortly!

15. Default

you can pick up tire shine for around 7 bucks at a super cheap auto in a spray can. makes your tires look awesome but is apparently bad for the tires or some thing. wheel centers stopped using it because apparently its a health risk but that's because they work with it every day.