User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dOttY's PIX - wax job

dOttY Guest

Default dOttY's PIX - wax job

Ok, so here they are... A coupla daggy pix of my baby after 4 coats of OCW over a period of about 5 days, and one coat of P21s carnauba, applied today!

I so need to take some decent 'pretty' pix of her!

Another coat of P21s, do yew think?
    ------------------------------ Double post merged ------------------------------
    Gosh, I need a garden shed! What a sh!t pit the garage is!
    Last edited by dOttY; 01-01-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Double post merged

Blog Entries

Looks great...I would indeed give her a few more coats of p21s.

First pic is the money shot.

she looks great Dotty ..
    Good job ..

Cheers
    Dee

That's very shiny!

Hi.
    That looks great Dotty, I wonder is Cosmic blue would look as good ?. Don't worry about your garage 95% of garages look the same at least you can get your car in.

dOttY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mps jim View Post
    Hi.
    That looks great Dotty, I wonder if Cosmic blue would look as good ?. Don't worry about your garage 95% of garages look the same at least you can get your car in.
    I'm sure Cosmic Blue would look good MPSJim! It's a lot of effort, but I think it's well worth it.
    As for my garage, I only go out there to get in my car, haha...so yeh, I look beyond all the crap that's in there! I'd throw it all out if I couldn't get the car in!
    ------------------------------ Double post merged ------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    Looks great...I would indeed give her a few more coats of p21s.
    A FEW more coats? Shin...are you serious? Wahh....

Oh, and thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated!
    Last edited by dOttY; 01-01-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Double post merged

Blog Entries

Correct.

OCW is your sealant, and P21s will give you the warmth to you paint that you so desire.

P21 should only take about 10 minutes to apply and remove, so stop complaining.

dOttY Guest

Correct.

OCW is your sealant, and P21s will give you the warmth to you paint that you so desire.

P21 should only take about 10 minutes to apply and remove, so stop complaining.

10 minutes??? Sif!

I must be pedantic!

Blog Entries

with a bit more practice, you will see....

dOttY Guest

with a bit more practice, you will see....
    Great.... just what I need, practice. Ugh... Ok, so I'll give her another coat in the morning!

ok im confused.... were do we get the extra good **** for our cars from. i only ever go tosupa cheap or autobarn and nothing there is expensive with not alot to choose from. Also how many coats of what kind of product should we be applying and how often.

Your car looks really nice. I want mine like that. Your garage also looks like mine, bloody kids.

Very nice. I also like the first pic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Latool View Post
    were do we get the extra good **** for our cars from.
    From me

PM me if you need product recommendations or speak to Shingslinger and ask about his products.

Red MPS = Victoria Wax Concours

Looks good on all colours, but red is something else.
    Last edited by ZAS; 01-01-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Double post merged

13. Default

Got to be happy with that.

Looks to me like it was worth the effort for sure.

Well done.

Chris

Nice work Dotty...oh and if you want to see a crappy garage come see mine....my poor baby lives in my dogs bedroom!!!!

Great finish, it is always rewarding detailing darker coloured cars..

Looks great! Agree with Shin. at least 2 more layers of P21S and it will look awesome!! Wont last ages though unfortunately.
    Last edited by ZAS; 03-01-2009 at 08:44 AM.

dOttY Guest

Thanks Guys for all the feedback! I'm going to endeavour to put another coat on this morning, since I didn't get around to it, yesterday.

Oh and Dan, what's that saying "Nothing good lasts forevah"?...dang it! How long until I have to do it all ovah again, do you think? *cringes*

P21S I'd say once a month depending on conditions. It doesn't have great durability but neither do most carnauba waxes. If you are after something long lasting then go for a sealant and then afterwards you can top with your favourite wax.

The sealant will be your durable base coat, the carnauba wax you apply to get the look only carnauba can give. This way even if you only wax 4 or 5 times a year you've still got the protection underneath.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    This way even if you only wax 4 or 5 times a year you've still got the protection underneath.
    OMG 4 or 5 times a year .... starts beating herself up for seriously neglecting her poor Betty
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    OMG 4 or 5 times a year .... starts beating herself up for seriously neglecting her poor Betty
    . Well it depends on a lot of things really. Is your car garaged, driving conditions, the products you use. Cheaper products (like Megs for example) generally don't last that long. And then high end products vary with durability, mostly depending on the type of product they are.

If you are dead serious about detailing and paint protection you will do a complete overhaul twice a year. This means stripping all your work back and starting again. The paint needs to be squeaky clean and then you apply your paint protection again.

First step is prepping the surface. You'll either machine polish to remove any paint defects. Once this is finished you go over the vehicle with a 50/50 mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and Water to ensure it's clean. If you aren't doing any paint correction you will use a pre-wax paint cleanser like Prima Amigo, Victoria Wax Deep Cleanse or one of the many paint cleaners out there. At this point your paint is clean and you will get maximum bonding with the wax and the best durability.

Next you apply your first step of paint protection. Most people apply a synthetic wax (or sealant) as these products are much more durable than your carnauba paste waxes. The draw back with a sealant is that many people feel it doesn't give the paint as much depth as you might find with a carnauba wax. I applied 3 layers of this stage last time I did an overhaul.

The next step is option and that is topping with your favourite carnauba wax. Depending on what you are using, depends on how often you will "top up" and apply again.

At the moment I don't have any carnauba on mine. Just 3 layers of Prima Epic (synthetic wax) and I top that up with my weekly wash using Prima Hydro which is a spray wax.

There is a big difference between what is necessary and what is done by a detailing fanatic. The above I think is necessary, what I haven't told you is fanatical.

I'm thinking about adding a few layers of Victoria Wax this weekend, even though I applied Hydro only a few days ago. That's fanatical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast