User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to restore plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I'm doing a mini restoration on my car. The bumper is being repainted and some of the black plastic parts are being replaced.

Whats the best way to restore the black plastic parts that I am keeping so they don't look old and faded compared to the new parts?
    I will throw Duragloss Rubber and Bumper dressing into the mix as well. Ive tested it against Black wow and its performs as well but is cheaper.

More info here: http://duragloss.com.au/Products/rub...k-dressing.php

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Yes, if paintwork is prepared properly silicon shouldn't be a problem, however, sometimes no matter how hard you try, and how much prep you do, you can't get rid of it all.
    The red scotch brite using prepsol as a lube is your friend lol
    Last edited by Dan; 29-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Cheers dan !

Dan - I'm a panel beater by trade (crappy job) that's how I prepared every job. Even still, on occasions you still get silicon, if the owner has been using it for a long time and a lot of it, I believe it can get into the paint and it gets very difficult to get it out. Trucks tend to be the worst, greasy hands touching everything

I'm not saying to avoid at all costs, but if there is s non silicon alternative, go for that

if plastics have faded, anything you do other than painting or dyeing is only a short term fix

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Dan - I'm a panel beater by trade (crappy job) that's how I prepared every job. Even still, on occasions you still get silicon, if the owner has been using it for a long time and a lot of it, I believe it can get into the paint and it gets very difficult to get it out. Trucks tend to be the worst, greasy hands touching everything

I'm not saying to avoid at all costs, but if there is s non silicon alternative, go for that

if plastics have faded, anything you do other than painting or dyeing is only a short term fix
    Yeah i figured that. Sorry if it came across as i was telling you how to do your job. I'm sure your more than capable! I would hate to paint a truck that would suck lol

Yes once plastic has died you wont permanently revive it but a good dressing like the ones mentioned will hide the problem. The better ones like the duragloss one last a good 2 months if you put a couple of coats on which isnt to bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yeah i figured that. Sorry if it came across as i was telling you how to do your job. I'm sure your more than capable! I would hate to paint a truck that would suck lol

Yes once plastic has died you wont permanently revive it but a good dressing like the ones mentioned will hide the problem. The better ones like the duragloss one last a good 2 months if you put a couple of coats on which isnt to bad at all.
    No prob Dan, i know what you ment. Yes painting trucks sucks, one of the many reasons i sold my business and now work in a pet shop, that doesn't suck!

One of the other problems i found was some lesser quality prepsols would leave a film over the paint that would cause problems aswell, you had to be sure to karate kid style wax on wax off and do it quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12