User Tag List

Thread: 86 detail (for something different)

Default 86 detail (for something different)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409454954494.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	16691

And on the seventh day the he said "Let there be gloss!" And there was gloss and it was good.

I'm doing a post delivery detail on a mates 86... A bit of paint decontamination, 2 stage polish with with optimum hyper and GPS, a rub back with wax and grease remover then opti-coat... Which is the first time I've used it aside from some test runs on my own car to get a feel for it.

The GPS is probably a waste of time as most of it will get pulled off during the rub down, but I really like it as a finishing polish.

The interior fabrics have also had 303 treatment.

I'll post some finished photos up.. No before shots unfortunately because I kind of forgot. I really like this colour though its got so much depth to it.

After this we test fit a set of 18 x 9.5 +38... *gulp*

All done! Spent about 12 hours on it over Saturday and Sunday. They are pretty impressive bits of kit, lots of thought put into the design. The over all quality is a bit lacking however as there was this weird streaking or grain on the bonnet paint that I couldn't get out and but pretty low orange peel.

Lesson learned on the wheels though... 18x 9.5s need coil overs!
    Apologies for the image quality - phone camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409478522382.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	16693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409478538040.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	16694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409478571506.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	16695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409478599190.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	16696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409478613242.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	16697  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409478634470.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	16698  
    Last edited by spooon; 01-09-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Looks great. Good work

The streaking could be the way the colour coat was laid. You see it sometimes. Especially when orange peel in the clear is flattened out/reduced.

Thanks @Caffeine Fiend! One thing I didn't regret was using the GPS before the opticoat. I finished the first polish on Saturday arvo and the GPS the next morning, the GPS just pushed it to another level. Love that stuff.

Applying Opticoat isn't as difficult as I thought, just a lot of prep and paitence.

Its back in my garage next weekend for a follow up and a set of MCA coil overs... So we can fit those huge ass wheels. I'll get some more shots now I know where my camera is.

No more deatailing shots, so slightly OT, but: 86s are super easy to work on... the whole coil-over install took me about 4 hours and I was stuffing around (a lot... of KFC was needed to cover my hangover). Best part is, I didnt loose any blood from working on it (unlike my 6 which is made from razor blades and my tears).

Specs on the wheels, Rays Gramlights 57 extreme 18 * 9.5 +38 with 235 40 r 18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. Going to dial out the ride height soon as it all settles and the owner is happy with getting it up his driveway (believe it or not but there is an 20mm out of the stock ride height in that photo).

No finished shots of the detail or with all 4 wheels on because the weather turned really bad (Perth Sunday storm)

If this where my car I would make everything on it blacker then the blackest black times infinity. The chrome on the headlights needs to go...

Next up in spooon's den of gloss in a few weeks... is my 6! which is getting similar treatment to the 86 but with a top coat of the new Optimum Gloss Coat. I hasn't had any decent attention paid to it in nearly 2 years... so I'll do a proper post this time with those nice 'in progress' shots that everyone likes. I'll also be attacking the stone chips on my car and do a little write up on that too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140920_172829.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	16838