User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Black

Default Dan's Garage - 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Black

This Aston needed quite a fair bit of work done. Fortunately the owner dropped it off a day or so early so I was able to get a head-start on the wash and decontamination before the weekend rolled around.

Good thing really because as the following pics will show, there was a lot of work ahead.

The car as presented.

Not too bad on first glance from a distance.

That sonorous 4.3lt V8

Start to look closely though.....Swirls, scratches and buffer trails abound. Literally years worth of them.

A nice big scratch which will have to be dealt with

Along with this scuff on the front bumper

More buffer trails and scratches. The car was starting to look a little like a topographical map

I started with the wheels. These took over and hour of cleaning and several applications of IronX before I was satisfied with them

Also several goes of APC were needed for under the guards. Some Wheel Woolie action:

Getting in and around the wheel barrels

Lug nuts

Calipers

Foam wash

Even covered with foam this front-end cuts an impressive look

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Brushwork around the badges and many grilles on the car

After a two bucket wash, dry and then clay with the surface prep towel, the car was driven into the garage to face the lights

It did not bode well.....

Yep, it keeps going. Every surface on the car was riddled with damage

Some paint depth readings thankfully said there was a reasonable base with which to work on

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Onto the correction

Before

After two compounding passes

Much better, but a refining stage required

50/50 roof sill.

Nasty RID on passenger side roof sill

Corrected

50/50 rear C pillar. There were some very deep RIDS which could only be minimised unfortunately.

Finished compounding

Boot before

After compounding (prior to refining)

Boot lid. Starting to get a good idea of just how low in orange peel Astons are from the factory.

50/50 of driver's door. Here we see just how much clarity has been slowly robbed from the paint over the years

Post compounding. Massive clarity gains found already

Passenger front guard has had a beating

After compounding

While working I couldn't help but stop and take a couple of quick photos of the reflections I was starting to see. Aston paint really is something else....

Continuing on.... An unobstructed look at that nasty RID on the passenger side door

Compounded out

The car was then refined

Though I didn't need it for filling (the correction took care of the swirls and all but the deepest scratches), I went around the car with Amigo because I wanted to employ its darkening abilities to complement this metallic black paint

Here you can see the bonnet in progress. The clear line defines the left hand side, which has had Amigo applied, and the right which is bare panel. Amigo has quite a darkening effect, which is just stunning.

Close up

The car was then given a layer of HD Poxy to lock everything in.

Some final outdoor pics. Combos of direct sun and also some stunning reflection shots. I'm still blown away as to how little peel these cars have. The Aston Martin paint shop sanders earn their money.

Bumper scuff (mostly) corrected out

Simply iconic....everyone loves an Aston

These rear guard/C pillar shots are for Tinny

Reflections

As a final show off as to just how much clarity there is in Aston paint, here's a pic of the rear when I pulled it into the garage......got reflection?

Total time taken - 27hrs

Thanks

@Caffiene Fiend - I agree Dan. Had a friend who had an Aston delivered a few years back. Looking at your initial photos, that Aston's paint had a hard life. What were the differences of the Aston's paint compared to the GTR35?

Great look at the end - Worth every bead of sweat you put in!!

Bloody marvellous job Dan. As usual.

bloody hell, what a difference you made, gone from an aston martin to an ASTON MARTIN!!!!! looks like it just rolled out of the showroom...
    and glad to see one of these cars that looks like it actually gets driven not just sitting in a garage looking pretty...

Don't know how cars like this can be left to get so nasty but looks killer now, top work!

what was the owners reaction to your work dan ?

Awesome Dan...I got to say the last couple of reflections pics are insane!!!

Wow, What an awesome job....I'm also interested in hearing of owners reaction.

Pure sex

Default Dan's Garage - 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Black

Wtf!

Default Re: Dan's Garage - 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Black

Must have been our supervision hey danski :-P

We all went home needing a polish ha ha ha.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Fantastic work mate. Impressive stuff.

Yeah Dan, what was the owners reaction to the job you had done?

Did they take you out for a spin?

Sent from my SGS3 4G

Lol thanks Guys. A ton of effort was expended on this one.

The owner seemed very happy though he didn't have much time to do a full walk around. He did say he'll definitely be bringing it back, which I take as a good sign. Hopefully it won't be quite as long between details!

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    @Caffiene Fiend - I agree Dan. Had a friend who had an Aston delivered a few years back. Looking at your initial photos, that Aston's paint had a hard life. What were the differences of the Aston's paint compared to the GTR35?

Great look at the end - Worth every bead of sweat you put in!!
    Thanks Den. The differences in paint between the Aston and the GTR are like chalk and cheese, night and day.

The Aston is a harder, typically European paint which responds well to a more aggressive pad/polish combo.

The GTR is completely the opposite. It's the softest paint I've worked with which, from a corrective point of view sounds easy, but the flip side to soft paint is that yes it only requires a very light pad/polish combo, it's incredibly finicky to finish down without marring. It's also unbelievably sensitive to heat, which means it's easy to mar the panel after correcting simply by wiping away the polish residue if the panel is still even slightly warm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mother of reflections! Nice job.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

19. Default

one of my favourite cars of all time would have had tears handing the keys over

Jizz... In.... My pants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast