User Tag List

Thread: Safest bug/tar remover

Default Safest bug/tar remover

Hi,

my beloved MPS sits under an elm tree, complete with shiteloads of bugs and tree sap caking onto the paintwork.

Last time I used bug and tar remover it was horrible stuff; what's the best thing to use these days? Is there any natural way to do it?

THanks

JB

Last edited by dazza; 18-12-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Not a fan of the Megs personally. I would be using the diluted APC as Dazza suggests

Park car in the shade, let panels cool.
    Hose front of car (pressure wash if available)
    Spray diluted APC onto front of car and let dwell for a few mins
    Use a soft bristled brush to agitate really caked on areas (Vikan Detailing Brush Kit)
    Hose off and then wash car

If you have sap all over the car (ie too much for spot fixing with APC like you would with bugs on the front as above), then I would look at a more all-encompassing solution to decontaminate the paintwork

eg washing the car with FK Soil and Coating remover: Finish Kare 1119 Soil And Coating Remover 1.9L

do the same as above, dwell and agitate caked-on areas (don't let it dry on the panels) then hose off

Then do a follow-up wash immediately with a strong car wash shampoo/APC mix to clear up any remnants.

Dry the car and then make sure you apply a wax or sealant as the above will strip any pre-existing waxes or sealants you currently have on the car.

Hope this helps.

Dan
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Hi,

my beloved MPS sits under an elm tree, complete with shiteloads of bugs and tree sap caking onto the paintwork.

Last time I used bug and tar remover it was horrible stuff; what's the best thing to use these days? Is there any natural way to do it?

THanks

JB
    Alot of the time sap can be removed with warm soapy water, bugs too. Gentle agitation without hard rubbing will probably fix this.

For tar spots I have found autoglym tar remover to be top notch, but must be sprayed on dry surface, as diluted it loses strength fast. Very light agitation can be used, and dont let it dry. It also has a very rare property, where it can easily be rinsed off with water. This is highly unusual with tar remover products, and makes it a no-brainer in my eyes.

Whatever you do, NEVER use Meg's gold class bug and tar remover. It is without a doubt one of the worst products I have ever used, being not only useless for removing tar and bugs, but also practically impossible to remove the product from the car afterwards.

APC on the other hand is a top notch product.
    Last edited by RadiantKnackers; 18-12-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

I have bug splatter on the front i cant clean off with normal Optimum car wash, i have opticoat, using the APC in your link will that strip the opticoat.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    I have bug splatter on the front i cant clean off with normal Optimum car wash, i have opticoat, using the APC in your link will that strip the opticoat.
    The only way to remove Opticoat is to abrasively polish it off.

Chemicals like APC stand no chance of taking it off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now