User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reflash Vs XEDE

Default Reflash Vs XEDE

Just some general information you guys might like to know. Direct from an e-mail from Chiptorque.

REFLASH

More tuneability, can control more tune parameters

Non invasive, no cutting or splicing of wiring

Cheaper than interceptor style tuning

XEDE PROCESSOR

Tuning software provided. Supports Windows (non Vista)

You will need a 9 pin DB9 serial cable or serial to USB convertor cable

Can be tuned faster than Reflash method

The XEDE Processor is an interceptor style Engine Management System. It generates changes in fueling and ignition timing by changing the factory ECU’s load and crank reference input signals to improve the factory tune, specifically to suit an aftermarket exhaust, engine modification or supercharger.

· Support for hall and reluctor type crank and/or cam timing signals

· 0.1 degree accuracy on timing adjustments

· Support for analogue or frequency MAF and MAP/load signals

· 0.1% full scale accuracy on MAF, MAP and TPS adjustments

· Two unique tuning map banks that allow optional setup for dual map operation

· Internal Storage space for up to 12 tuning maps

· Connect your PC to the XEDE Processor using 9 pin DB9 serial cable and free XMap software

· Up to 400 adjustment points per tuning map

· User configurable load and RPM axes, input and output variables, adjustment range, and math function for each tuning map to making tuning fast and accurate.

· Minimum 100rpm breakpoints and 1% load point adjustability

· Two high current outputs for boost control, water spray or auxiliary injector, etc.

· Unit has a fully sealed, rugged and lightweight housing

· User configurable data logging of XEDE signals using XMap (requires PC connection to XEDE during logging)

· Live data display through XMap

· Password protection for map data stored in the XEDE Processor using XMap

.................................................. .................................................

From other piggy back style tuning options I've seen, the 100rpm increments are excellent (Link uses 500rpm inc. and Motec uses 50rpm inc.) and the load points are 1% (Link uses 10%) XEDE seems to be towards the top of the list. I've used Link and Motec as references because these are the most recent options I've viewed in the last week.

For someone like me who already has the flash tune, getting an option to tune the vehicle away from Chiptorque is a benefit. Also note that for those of you that may wish to run water/meth injection, you can do it with the XEDE.

The good news is you can use both Reflash and XEDE Processor together, if tuned properly. They commonly have provided this on Subaru vehicles for people in the same situation as me. Also having a base Reflash to increase say injector scaling (as an example) makes the tuning quicker with XEDE.
    Last edited by 2XS; 26-10-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

i have one!! the latter!!
    tho not in car atm!!
    are they worth selling?

Great info there, thanks.
    I am still leaning towards the XEDE.. and I do actually have a water/meth setup here on my bedroom floor

Has anybody used a plug in setup for the XEDE yet? As in not cutting the wires but using a extension with plug's on each end, then splicing into that?

There was one member using a custom made loom by extracting some pins from the stock plug.

Blog Entries

Could the standback2 pnp wiring loom provide the necessary wiring access to fit alongside an XEDE?

7. Default

No the CP-E PNP is only for the Standback

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    No the CP-E PNP is only for the Standback
    Of course; I was wondering if there was scope to mod it, but chances are you can't because everything is sealed in resin?

I'm imagining the SB2 needs to intercept the same signals an XEDE would...and those signals would be what the PNP loom provides?

Hey, I've hacked up a few custom comms cable jobs in my time....

9. Default

The Xede look's at half of what the SB2 can see & control

Blog Entries

The Xede look's at half of what the SB2 can see & control
    I thought that would be the case...that suggests to me that it is likely that it could be relatively easily modified to suit an XEDE

11. Default

Yes, it would use less wiring.
    But both CP-e & us have made sure it can't be reversed for other units.
    We can supply PNP's for another unit soon. But I'm unable to say which one it will be until the launch date has been confrimed.

Blog Entries

Yes, it would use less wiring.
    But both CP-e & us have made sure it can't be reversed for other units.
    We can supply PNP's for another unit soon. But I'm unable to say which one it will be until the launch date has been confrimed.
    Seems to me there's a market for a generic PNP loom access solution.

13. Default

Believe it or not but no there isn't as the other suppliers have always sold them as a cut in harness, unless they can buy the plugs.
    The thing that amazes us is so many people steer back to the products that have been moded to run on the MZR's instead of buy a unit that was designed for them.
    In the tests we have done the SB2 has always out performed the others. Even on the BMW's the SB2's have a proven result. But Mazdas are still looking for another option when there's a unit that's on the market now & has been proven.

Just to play devils advocate, if the SB is so good, why do the Mazda Targa cars still run Xede's ?

15. Default

Like I have said people sicking to products they know

Just stirring....from my research into this area, I think both products have their own respective pro's and con's, as much as I support cp-e I will be running an Xede, simply due to the local support and knowledge for the device, in the US on the other hand its the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Seems to me there's a market for a generic PNP loom access solution.
    Only problem there is that the factory ECU plugs & pins are a proprietary design, owned by Mazda and are not available for purchase. I believe cp-e back engineered the plugs to suit the SB, hence the reason they made the harness unique to their product.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

17. Default

Gaining access to a wiring harness will give you one side of the plug.
    But you will need to destroy a ECU for the other side of the plug.
    That's going to start costing big bucks, just for a little harness.

Or find suitable replacement pins

19. Default

pins arn't a problem, you can pick them up anywhere.
    How do you hold the pins in & stop them shorting out.
    You need the plugs to hold them.
    We have been working on this for a while now its not as easy as most thing.

If youre just extending the individual stock wires that are relevant to the Xede, its simply a case of matching the male & female pins with a short length of wire that can be cut, or tapped as necessary, a bit of heatshrink over the area the factory loom female plug and the new male pin connect and Roberts your Fathers brother.
    A full PnP harness is a very different story though, and no doubt a very costly and time consuming exercise, I know that PG offer one and it costs a small fortune.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast