User Tag List

Thread: What can I do with the stock audio system?

1. Default What can I do with the stock audio system?

G'day folks, got an audio question.

TL;DR edition: So basically what I want to do is use an iPod/iPhone, USB hard drive or even multiple MP3 CDs in a stock 05 GG 6 MPS while changing as little as possible and keeping costs down, while retaining the ability to use the steering wheel controls and air con display (those are a must). If I have to change the head unit to be able to connect iPod/iPhone/HDD then I will, but only if I can keep steering wheel controls and air con display. Doable?

Full edition: I am looking to purchase a GG 6 MPS (05 model with the luxury upgrades incl. Bose), and am wondering what can be done with the sound system. I don't think it is able to play MP3s, and I am basically looking to be able to play a decent amount of music without changing much (does the early 6 MPS does not have the ability to play MP3s? RedBook says it doesn't). If the stock system in it is able to play MP3s on CDs with its stock head unit, that will do me for the time being but I don't think it can do that. Would changing the head unit prevent the air con from displaying on the screen? That's pretty important. Also, I want to use Bluetooth to take calls with my phone, but this is a secondary requirement and can be done later.

Ideally, what I would like is to play music from an iPod/iPhone via USB or - even better - 2.5" USB hard drive, while retaining the stock speakers (for the time being) and head unit and the ability to use the steering wheel controls. If that is not doable, I would want to replace the head unit, but I must still be able to use the steering wheel controls. Is it even possible to use the steering wheel controls and aircon display with an aftermarket head unit?

Eventually I would replace the front speakers but I don't like doof doof so I would leave the existing sub and rear speakers alone.

Also: I might not be able to get the 6 so I might have to try and look for a BK 3 instead, would any of this be different for an 06/07 BK 3 MPS?

Huge thanks to anyone who answers any/all of these!

I don't know much about the MPS6's stock system as I haven't had a chance to fully go over it all and in relation to Iphone / Ipod I'm not sure as I boycott Apple

You can easily run a USB input through one of these

77B Mazda6 USB MP3 LINK Mazda 6 Atenza Mazdaspeed6 MPS - eBay (item 350260071808 end time Mar-26-11 05:50:52 PDT)

Simply plugs in the back of the stock head unit. It doesn't like playing USBs but will happily play MP3 players.

I've had a quick look into upgrading the stock head unit as I'd like to run one 12" sub but it looks like a very expensive path for the gains I'd get. The replacement surrounds are in the hundreds of dollars. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for the hands free bit - I also wouldnt mind doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by skyna View Post

77B Mazda6 USB MP3 LINK Mazda 6 Atenza Mazdaspeed6 MPS - eBay (item 350260071808 end time Mar-26-11 05:50:52 PDT)

Simply plugs in the back of the stock head unit. It doesn't like playing USBs but will happily play MP3 players.
    Nice find, added that to my eBay list to buy at some stage.

I have 06 MPS 6 with factory Bose
    I bought one of kits from CushieAudio Do It Yourself iPod, iPhone & Bluetooth Car Kits | Cushie Audio which plugs directly in to the back of the factory unit, absolutely love it
    I bought the optional bluetooth kit as which gives me hands free for the phone through the factory system.
    The blue tooth kit allows you to stream music directly from the iphone.
    I find most times I use the cable option as it charges my iphone and I can use steering wheel controls to select next track.
    Personally for $180 all up inc the bluetooth kit I think it is great value, installation is easy, it just plugs straight into head unit.
    Read all the info on the webs site, as it has some unusual features, one mode is track by track, the other uses playlists
    Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Forgot to add they also have a USB/MP3 options avaialble

I second what Deltaflyer said. I just installed this kit from Do It Yourself iPod, iPhone & Bluetooth Car Kits | Cushie Audio yesterday and the result is simply awesome!! Now I can steam my music from my iphone to stereo via bluetooth. Quality is just like CD quality, when phone call comes I can just answer the call via steering wheel button. I even manage to install the mic onto a perfect location which is just above the head near the A-pillar.

I believe this is a must for all MPS stock audio. Cheers.
    GROM iPod & Bluetooth car kit, ETS TMIC, HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Denso ITV-22's, CPE down pipe, Custom Exhaust tip, Hypertech tuned, Bilstein shocks with King Spring, CPE engine mount, CPE rear diff mount, Whiteline rear sway bar, EBC redstuff brake pad, DBA 4000 front slotted rotors, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone Short Shift Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    I bought one of kits from CushieAudio Do It Yourself iPod, iPhone & Bluetooth Car Kits | Cushie Audio which plugs directly in to the back of the factory unit, absolutely love it
    I bought the optional bluetooth kit as which gives me hands free for the phone through the factory system.
    I find most times I use the cable option as it charges my iphone and I can use steering wheel controls to select next track.
    Personally for $180 all up inc the bluetooth kit I think it is great value, installation is easy, it just plugs straight into head unit.
    Read all the info on the webs site, as it has some unusual features, one mode is track by track, the other uses playlists
    Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Forgot to add they also have a USB/MP3 options avaialble

This may sound like a noob question but could you connect a USB (MP3 files etc) while having bluetooth connected? I'm a bit clueless with this stuff, but I'm assuming with the bluetooth dongle being included you would connect it via the USB input meaning you could only have the dongle or USB connected rather than both. Is that how it works, or can you connect both at once? If you can do both, I'll put my name down for one and I'll have the one I posted up initially in my above post going for cheap if someone wants it.

Basically, I want to save music on a USB but have the option of connecting my phone via bluetooth so if I receive a call I can use hands free.

7. Default

Thanks for the responses, guys. I missed out on the 6 I was looking at, because the guy accepted an offer less than what I told him I'd give for it... weird, but his problem - anyway, I'm looking at another one now.

I boycott Apple
    Heh, I normally do as well I hate the iPhone but I need one for work and there is other software I need that isn't available on Android (yet). Although, when it comes to value, nothing can match the iPod classic's 160GB for less than $400.

For 99 bucks? Might as well give it a shot. Although, if I were going the USB method rather than the iPod method, I'd want it to be able to play from both flash drives and hard drives, so I guess that one is a no-go :/

Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    Cheers for that one, it looks good. I think I'd go with the kit from that mob... USB or iPod, can't decide yet.

Of course if they were smart about it they'd just make one model that does both. After all, the iPod is just a USB hard drive that keeps all the music in randomly named subdirectories in the hidden iPod_control directory...

So, will these boxes do the same job for the Mazda 3 MPS? Because I might end up getting one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiruhdf View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I missed out on the 6 I was looking at, because the guy accepted an offer less than what I told him I'd give for it... weird, but his problem - anyway, I'm looking at another one now.

Heh, I normally do as well I hate the iPhone but I need one for work and there is other software I need that isn't available on Android (yet). Although, when it comes to value, nothing can match the iPod classic's 160GB for less than $400.

For 99 bucks? Might as well give it a shot. Although, if I were going the USB method rather than the iPod method, I'd want it to be able to play from both flash drives and hard drives, so I guess that one is a no-go :/

Cheers for that one, it looks good. I think I'd go with the kit from that mob... USB or iPod, can't decide yet.

Of course if they were smart about it they'd just make one model that does both. After all, the iPod is just a USB hard drive that keeps all the music in randomly named subdirectories in the hidden iPod_control directory...

So, will these boxes do the same job for the Mazda 3 MPS? Because I might end up getting one of those.
    I'll have my Audiolink Adaptor up for grabs if you wanted. It has USB and AUX inputs. I'll post it anywhere in Australia for $50

9. Default

Hmm, thanks for the offer skyna - I might be interested