User Tag List

Thread: Stock HU Quality?

Default Stock HU Quality?

Hi guys,
    I am looking at swapping out my BOSE stereo sub and speakers with
    Alpine Electronics of Australia for the front,
    Alpine Electronics of Australia for the rear,
    Alpine Electronics of Australia for the sub.
    Or something similar.

My question is, would this be pointless doing this if I kept the standard headunit?
    How decent is the standard HU?
    I'm not too keen on changing the standard look of my car.

Thanks for your input.

Steve
    Last edited by steviekfc; 08-02-2011 at 12:01 AM.

The std HU is fine, keep it.

I would just change the sub out for a bigger item and replace the std amp for a bigger one, then, maybe down the track, change the front splits if they ever fail.

Rear speakers are just for rear fill, leave them alone. When you go to a concert, all the noise comes from in front of you, Right?
    Treble is directional, place the front speakers "On axis" for the best sound quality.
    Bass is non-directional, hence why subs are always in the rear, it's about feeling the bass.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    feeling the bass
    Oooooo... Sexxxy
    Lmao

How much better can the sound get? I love the sound from the BOSE in my 6 MPS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    A HEAP better trust me I have sat in many SQ (Sound Quality) Competition cars and you would swear whatever was being played out of the speakers was being played on the dash in front of you!!

Totally agree with Troy, rears aren't important they are just fill which is usually drowned out by your sub (I don't even have any rears)
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    I have a 12" Alpine Sub (see sig) and that packs a much bigger punch. I thought about adding new speakers and amplifying but didn't feel the need to spend the cash.

Yeah its easy to keep the head unit and it looks much better than a aftermarket face unit....unless maybe you go with DVD/GPS screen

Just to add...I have a type S alpine sub. I think type R will be overkill and more expensive as mine goes pretty hard. But its up to you

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

What your asking depends on what sound you are after. Its not all about the componants! Try this - $82 per pack on ebay get 'dynamat superlite' ( only adds a couple of KG's) sound deadning ( get 2 packs for front and rear doors) even put the dynamat on the plastic around where ur speaker mounts more u put in there the better it will sound, make MDF rings for ur speakers. All this will make a massive difference TRUST ME!

or if u want more- JL clean sweep CL441 cheap on ebay in the US couple hundred. Than install ur amps and speakers... I used a JL clean sweep in my neo, first install worked great cleaned up the signal and converted high votage to low votage for the amps ( than i decide i wanted a touch screen). I would go for a 10' sub they give a much tighter/controled sound, but if u like the 12 go for it

JUST Remember its about the other stuff people forget about, ie sound deadning, good cables ( i use QED), sealing the doors properly, making sure all is tight, soldering wires.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

i will definitely be sound deadening, and thanks for the sub size tip, i was tossing up between the 10 and 12, and i think i will go the 10, saves room, and does the job i want it to, personal enjoyment, not doof doofing around town like a farkwit

and i was thinking i would take my car to Gold Coast Car Sound to do my business with, heard they are good, anyone have prior dealings with them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post
    i will definitely be sound deadening, and thanks for the sub size tip, i was tossing up between the 10 and 12, and i think i will go the 10, saves room, and does the job i want it to, personal enjoyment, not doof doofing around town like a farkwit

and i was thinking i would take my car to Gold Coast Car Sound to do my business with, heard they are good, anyone have prior dealings with them?
    Mixed reports I have heard but as far as I know they have done a couple of Mazda 3's and should be familiar with them.

I have done all my own work (with the help of a mate) and they are a pretty simple car once you know the basics
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

I removed stock Sub, rewired it with a 600W Orion Mono Block, then attached a massive 15" Sub to it sounds awesome, 15" is too big i should of gone 12 or pair of 10s but 15" was extremely cheap about 75% of rrp lol.

Factory Sub does nothing believe me i trialed mine it is uninstalled, i have the Stock HU with +5 Treble +1 or 0 bass, it on fade +2 and the sub has a base controller separate in the centre console , i can have it off, on minimum or high (enough to flex the glass on the hatch ).
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Wait till you flex the front windscreen Mine would shake the car dry after it rained.

I had 142.2 db from mine Lanzar Optidrive 2000d Monoblock (2000rms) running 2 Soundstream Tarantula T4-12 subs.