User Tag List

Thread: Boost Gauge Mounting / Size

Default Boost Gauge Mounting / Size

Hi all,

Looking at getting a boost gauge for my 3 mps.

Firstly, where is everybody mounting their boost gauges? I thought about putting it in the drivers side vent... What size gauge is needed for this and how do you secure it?

Secondly, what are the Prosport boost gauges on mpsgarage.com.au like? Are they accurate? I really like DEFI gauges but cant justify the price. Any other gauges recommended?

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...ost-gauge.html

All input is appreciated! (Searched prior to this, but couldn't find much info)

Thanks,

Matt.

Hey mate,

I've got a set of red DEFI gauges in my 6. I've mounted them ontop of the dash more-a-less in the center (sorry don't have a pic as yet, but can get one if you're interested?) I've got a dash mat so I've cut small holes in that to conceal the wiring underneath it. The gauges themselves sit flush on the mat with the mounting plate underneath which is stuck onto the dash with 3m strips. By cutting small slits/holes in the mat, no wiring can be seen and not even the mounting plate.

I've got side pillar airbags so wasn't keen mounting on the side, also my sat nav usually sits there anyway. I believe you can buy a gauge pod for the 3MPS? Not sure how accurate the Prosport gauges are, but I would say the DEFI's would most probably be a better unit.

You can check out the link below. I have the 60mm gauges x2. Looks pretty good and the concealed wiring install looks great. I believe they only have the DEFI's in BAR pressure on this site. Check ebay and see if you can get them any cheaper.

Gauges - DEFI - Pro Speed Racing

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Thanks for the reply.

I don't doubt the DEFI's would be a better gauge, but it seems you need to run a control unit with them which makes them quite expensive! (I only want a boost gauge)

Not keen on putting a gauge pod on the pillar because of the airbags. I thought either in the drivers side vent, or put it in a gauge cup and double sided tape it onto the dash (on the lower half of the dash on the right hand side)

Also, would much prefer a gauge in PSI.

No worries. Yeah you may have to get the control unit. Once you get that you can do more with the gauges. They can get a bit pricey though. I got mine second hand off a mate and got around $600+ off brand new price for the lot. My mate has a glowshift gauge which isn't too bad. A lot cheaper than DEFI. Toddy22587 if you wanna chase him up and ask about it? Or check link below for some idea

glowshift gauges, Cars, Bikes, Boats, Temperature items at low prices on eBay.com.au

My DEFI's are in PSI but the place I was looking at only had BAR...useless! You can get gauge pods like these. This is what I was thinking about in the last post. Sorry should have been more specific.

MazdaSPEED3 Single Gauge Pod

MazdaSPEED3 Gauge Pod - not sure if you can get this in the RHD though?

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Found these....

VentPod Single Gauge Pod for Mazda 3 / Mazdaspeed 3 - Revolution Performance Motorsports!

They look the goods with a gauge installed and your vent still works. Not cheap for what it is though.

I am running one of these VEI systems hi-res boost gauges, its super accurate and very reasonably priced, and you can buy them directly from VEI in the US, the red gauge looks good with the orange dash lighting and it has pretty lights and big numbers.

Here is a link to the gauge,
    VEI Systems -- Intelligent Vehicle Instrumentation -- Products: Instruments

And here is a pic of mine (the gauge pod is a mearcat pod in case you are wondering).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boostgauge.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	4211
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Not a big fan of the look of that gauge.

Where did the gauge pod come from?

Thanks

Got home and took a few snaps for ya mate. On a slightly different note, I borrowed my girlfriends camera...its actually a Nikon but the shots were average. These were taken on dads new nokia...not bad aye! Ok back on topic. You can see twin gauges mounted on an angle. At least this way when I drive I can see them at all times and my arm is not in the way obscuring the view or anything. Not sure what images you would been keen on viewing so heres a few from different angles. On image two you can see the wiring penetrate the carpet.

M P S

Very nice! Love DEFI gauges... Would definitely get one if i didn't need the control unit.

Still not sure if i would want a gauge mounted on my dash. Would prefer to keep it a little less noticeable.

Thanks for getting the pics though! Your a legend

I got a replacement defrost vent which has a gauge pod moulded into it!!

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/elect...html#post58637

DISIMS3 (MZR) sells them on ebay..Contact him!!

Mazda 3 MPS Gauge Pod - eBay Other, Gauges, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 23-Jun-10 16:00:36 AEST)

No worries at all mate!

Yeah I know what you mean, they can be pretty noticeable where I got them now. The glowshift one my mate has about 8 colours available which is nice to mix it up a bit. When you do get a gauge just mount it temporarily (so you can decide on the best place) on the dash, on the side, another option is just on top of the steering column where my mates 52mm gauge is. That way you can't really see it when people look in through your window, and its also near your instrument cluster. You may also want to consider a gauge hat as shown in my pics. It should help daytime viewing and I think it looks a little more finished.

This is a thread of the guy I got the gauges from. A different angle to where he mounted his gauges (similar to me)

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...html#post81514

Post up some pics of the gauge or where you decide to mount it when your done

M P S

Nice gauges Rogwick!! Looks like a pro install job

My pod came from here,

MEARCAT Auto Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Nice gauges Rogwick!! Looks like a pro install job
    Of course, I done it myself on the weekend.

JK thanks for help with the install! Yeah we do a pro job just like the DIY front lips lol

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    I got a replacement defrost vent which has a gauge pod moulded into it!!
    Really like these.... Will most likely get one of them.

What size is yours? 60mm or 52mm?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Really like these.... Will most likely get one of them.

What size is yours? 60mm or 52mm?

Thanks
    60mm

I'm looking at mounting my Prosport boost guage on the flat surface behind the steering wheel on top of the steering column so it sits effectively between the two main instruments from my viewpoint. This keeps it low and out of the sun, away from prying eyes and more importantly away from the side-pillar airbags. Last thing you want after a full-frontal prang is to have to tweeze a boost guage out of your forehead after it has been driven into it at 200kmh by the pyrotechnics. The lighting colour matches the instrument red, which I greatly prefer, being long wavelength and it is better for preserving night vision than all the chintzy short wavelength blues one tends to see around.

Due to the serious shortage of wiring ports and useable grommets through the MPS6 firewall, I have found a location where I have been able to create a new 25mm diameter port with a chassis punch, into which I have inserted a rubber grommet to cut out noise, fumes and smells and prevent cable chafe, and that enables me to duct all new instrument wiring through one place and still enable fair access if I need to pull it out or add more. I then run spiral wrap around my cabling on both sides of the grommet so it's nice and tidy, then cable tie it up out of the way. There aren't many easily accessible sites that are high and weatherproof and enable one to get a drill in for the starter hole for the chassis punch. These cut a nice neat round hole.

I think my next task will be to take a leaf out of my boat design (boats are all dual cabled as they need +ve and -ve cables from everything, so have live busbar boxes and a common earth busbar placed near instrument consoles) and set up a single covered and (high-amperage) fused "hot point" busbar, so those cables that need to be "connected direct to battery" are in fact taken from the busbar and are also independently in-line fused. This saves all that poking around under places like the gear-shift console and other weird places that I see folks doing to take power off the back of accessories such as the cigarette lighter, etc. The earth is easier with a car than a boat as it only requires a nearby body metal mount. And once set up it's all way safer than hot wires coming off every nearby wire, saves potential for shorts and leakage and inadvertent power drains, and there is only one required point of inspection and access.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18