User Tag List

Thread: Boost Gauge Wiring

1. Default Boost Gauge Wiring

Hey guys,

I just installed a boost gauge in the top dash console (door lid still on, gauge is hidden).
    I took the air line and wiring down behind the glove box. Just wondering if anyone could show/tell me where the best place to pick up the 12v ignition supply and 12v dash lighting for the backlight of the gauge.

Any help is greatly appreciated

cheers

No Idea here - I am sure someone can help, but maybe the stereo?

3. Default

Sorry guys i forgot to mention it is a 2005 Mazda 6 MPS. This info maybe be useful.

If you run it from the cigarette lighter, you can get 12v acc and 12v lighting there.

Nobody uses their cigarette lighter anyway, right?

I tapped into some wiring behind the fuse box for my constant 12v and my acc 12v, cant remember exactly where but it wasn't anything important.
    Never got around to hooking up the lighting wire cos i have my dash on max brightness all the time so the gauge doesn't really bother me.

If you really need i can have a look and let you know where i've connected to.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    I tapped into some wiring behind the fuse box for my constant 12v and my acc 12v, cant remember exactly where but it wasn't anything important.
    Never got around to hooking up the lighting wire cos i have my dash on max brightness all the time so the gauge doesn't really bother me.

If you really need i can have a look and let you know where i've connected to.
    Thanks for the offer but dont go to the trouble. I just have to use my multimeter and find out
    where to tap into. I was thinking of the fuse box but didnt know if there was a better place.
    Ill see how i go over the weekend.

Cheers

as 2xs has said the cigarette lighter, thats where i hooked mine upto

as said above the best place is to splice a junction into the cig lighter ...while you cutting into the main wire install a simple plug and socket so later when its time to de-mod its a simple unplug and off you go with out risking shorts or blown fuses. I did this when i installed a CB radio so a boost gauge should be simple.

9. Default

thanks all for your ideas. I ended up splicing into a accessory wire found
    at the fuse box and just grounded the black wire to the chassis. The other
    wire (lighting) isnt used. I just have full brightness all the time as it is install
    in the top glove box. I used a calibre boost gauge..... just for your info.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Pics? Which one? Red or red or blue and red? I love the colours on the blue and red Calibre one. Blue numbers and red dial.

I tried a Calibre one. It seemed to be inaccurate. Maybe I got a bad one????

Does the sunlight reflect off the face and make it hard to read. I didn't like it for that reason.

11. Default

Hey guys,

Here are some photos of my boost gauge installed in the top clove compartment.
    It is a calibre gauge. Not sure if it meant to do this but once i start to hit boost pressure
    the gauge makes ticking noises. Common?

Also boost gauge reads about 13-14psi. Is this standard? Mainly see this reading in first and second gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5720..jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	4029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5722..jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	4030  

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Pics? Which one? Red or red or blue and red? I love the colours on the blue and red Calibre one. Blue numbers and red dial.

I tried a Calibre one. It seemed to be inaccurate. Maybe I got a bad one????

Does the sunlight reflect off the face and make it hard to read. I didn't like it for that reason.
    I put the gauge in the top compartment so i could close the lid still and hid the gauge. sunlight hasnt been a problem as the gauge is set back and the lid covers it. Preventing sun on the gauge.

Oh, you have a flip top pocket!

Is your car a 6 MPS?

Mine was reading lower than actual boost PSI.

i tapped into fuses behind the glove box
    just need to do a tidy up now that i have fuse taps and run a wire to my oil filter for oil temp

15. Default

yeah i have a mazda 6 mps. It is the one with the closable lid.

Yeah first and second gear is around 13-14 psi but in fifth gear it goes up
    to about 16-17psi. Not sure if its standard but thats what the gauge is reading

sounds about right