User Tag List

Thread: Car wont lock

Default Car wont lock

My MPS 6 started playing funny buggers this morning.

I can unlock the car with the remote, but it won't lock. The motor won't activate and the indicators do not flash.

I tried my spare key just incase, and it is no different.

I cannot even lock it from the outside with the key, or push the lock to the locked position when I am in the car (I did this last night driving home from work and it was fine).

Anyone have any suggestions.

Hmm my first thought would be to open every door (Even the boot and Bonnet), check there is nothing like a towel, jumper etc in the doors preventing it from shutting completely then try re-locking your car. If you can't lock it with the key I would say the vehicle thinks the door(s) is still open. If by doing the above fails, possibly DC the battery, leave for a couple of mins and re-connect. Try locking/unlocking your car again. I'm assuming you have the standard remote central locking on your car? Some after market alarms, the door and bonnet sensors could be faulty or broken. PS, do you know you can dead lock the MPS by pressing the button a second time?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

*scratches head*

do we have door open switches which are accessable? (i cant remember off the top of my head)

if we do.. give them a jiggle.. as you may have a dicky switch

Didn't know a second press dead locked it. I thought the dead lock was the key in the hole.

Anyway, problem is fixed and it seems I don't close the boot hard enough. I opened all the doors inc boot and bonnet, closed the all and still nothing. Checked that the boot was closed, and it was. Drove to my appt and had to get something out the boot. Boot slipped and slammed shut..... Car locked.

Will keep an eye on that. Before I pull it apart, where is the sensor to tell the car that the boot is closed properly.

Thanks for the reply

5. Default

yeh I always double click the lock and deadlock my car you cant open doors or anything from inside or outside the car its brilliant
    Last edited by blackbetty; 20-05-2010 at 08:56 PM.

There was an issue in the US that they had sticking door locks.

Mine had a loose fuse under the glovebox when mine wouldn't lock.

Glad you found the source. Not entirely sure on the nature of the problem put I'll put it out there. Maybe its the boot sensor that may be faulty or maybe the lock itself is dirty (unlikely) and is not holding. Common problems in bonnet locks is that they get dirt or heavy grease or sometimes get bent when working or modding a car. This causes the lock not to hold and come loose thus notifying the car a door is open (if there is a sensor for the bonnet 'as standard' on our cars but I don't think so.) When I close my boot, I usually drop it down 80% of the way, slam it (a little) then yank it up to check. You may have to do the same if you're having a problem with it.

Not sure if it states in the manual (I think it does somewhere) but you can lock the vehicle upon the first depression of the 'lock' button, then within 2seconds depress (or depress-an-hold) the 'lock' button again and you will hear a second click. Doing this puts a dead bolt through the locking mechanism which makes it much harder to gain access to the vehicle. You may have noticed a lot of RAC call-out mechanics going grey recently due to this, lol kidding! I would recommend using this lock feature when leaving your car for a long time ie; at night or at the movies late at night, dinner in a dodgy place etc. No need to dead lock if you're going to run into a deli to buy a newspaper kind of thing. Try it out

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

That is a pretty good feature.

Cheers mate