User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H.I.D. Bulbs in your Lower Driving Lights

Default H.I.D. Bulbs in your Lower Driving Lights

Hi all has anyone here placed HID bulbs/ballasts in their Lower Driving lights..

(i refuse to call them foglights as that is somethign they are not! True fogs are higher up and are yellow or blue *for the purpose of breaking the light spectrum and allowing you do see in a white out situation*)

if so have you experienced any heat issues with said situation

or do you have any reccomendations on bulbs that will work down there..

I would ideally like to change the Standard d2s bulbs from the Standard 4500k to 5000 or 6000k and then Match the Lower Lights to a similar Light colour..

My Angel eyes are the whitey blue colour similar to that of 5000-6000k HID bulbs...

it looks arse having yellow white HIDs blue/white angel eyes and then halogen coloured driving lights..

either that or im going to source some spare lower lights and break them open and build a LED array in to them..

Ala Audi DRL

The only real benefit the Driving lights offer in my eyes is that they reveal more of the road surface out wide.. as they are pointing down from the factory and have a good wide spread

Nasa has them I think...

A couple of the other guys, just changed the globes to 6000k white-blue lights.

Ive not changed mine yet - apparently it's illegal to use them in Queensland if there ain't no fog!

ah the old fog lights ban thread
    hahaha...
    PM sent ranton

ey bro! he's a noo zeelundah... not a queenslandah!

I have fitted some 3000k's to mine, they produce the yellow hue required to cut through the fog as you mentioned, no heat issues as Xenons burn considerably cooler than halogens anyway.

I only use mine in inclement weather, or when there is no one else on the road, to date no issues from other motorists, or the law, and because they are so low there is no glare to speak of, unless you look directly at them from about a foot off the ground, so I have probably only managed to piss a few possums off with them.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Cheers Guys..

I'm aiming to use 35w Bulbs all around

and either 5000 or 6000k bulbs

Just need to find a Good Brand of D2S that will fit the stock Location

and a Good Brand that will Fit the H11 the "Fog/DRLs" use..

U use my "fogs" on the tight and windy NZ Roads at night or in darker conditions

we have very narrow roads in some places and i find the light spread is great for revealing where the roads taper off to gravel etc etc

also shows any major roading surface discrepancies

I swapped out my stock HID's for 8000k last Friday. Looks a lot better and also matches my LED park lights but be careful as the lights I got were meant to fit D2S but I had to cut away part of the plastic to make them fit.

I was also looking into getting a set of HID's for my driving lights but as I have already ordered a set of LED driving lights I thought I’d wait and see how they go first. I don’t expect the LED's to have much light output but I’m hoping that the colour will be closer to the headlights.

I also agree with MattMPS3 that the HID globes run cooler then halogens so there shouldn't be any heat issues

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-Car-68-LED-SMD-Xenon-white-Bulb-H11-Fog-Light-DC-12V_W0QQitemZ180416389037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a01a79fad
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 15-02-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    Cheers Guys..

I'm aiming to use 35w Bulbs all around

and either 5000 or 6000k bulbs

Just need to find a Good Brand of D2S that will fit the stock Location

and a Good Brand that will Fit the H11 the "Fog/DRLs" use..

U use my "fogs" on the tight and windy NZ Roads at night or in darker conditions

we have very narrow roads in some places and i find the light spread is great for revealing where the roads taper off to gravel etc etc

also shows any major roading surface discrepancies
    The 'fogs' arent H11's they are a HB3 or HB4 globe, cant remember which one exactly, I did post it somewhere in the bulb thread on here, the H11's were used in the earlier round style lights.

I grabbed a set of 6000k D2S from RPM store for a good price, nice crisp white bulb with a tinge of blue on the cutoff.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Yes yes.
    I have replaced my "fog" lights with
    50W HID Xenon Light Conversion KIT 9006 HB4 12000K 55W
    Ebay special!!! They are HEAPS brighter than the standard ones.

Actually these are great. I mounted the balasts to the front bumper with silicon. 12000k are a bit more bluer than the standard low beam HID (MPS3 sports pack) lights.
    Heres a reference to them....
    50W 55W HID Xenon KIT 9006 HB4 4300K,5000K,6000K,8000K - eBay Car Lighting, Parts Accessories, Car Electronics, Electronics. (end time 25-Feb-10 01:59:27 AEDST)

I can email pics of the colour of the lights if you wish. Send me an email to mymps3@ncable.net.au and just ask me!

Regards,
    Greg.

55w isn't that a bit hot for the housings?

my lights, bit to dark to really appreciate them as in glare~ tho i have forgotten the brand!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00703.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	2316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00707.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	2317  

Housings show no sign of melting. 55w doesnt refer to heat, it refers to current drawn. Eg, a stereo might have "200Watts" on the back of the unit... does not mean the amp is rated at 200 watts rms....

50 watt vs 35 watt should give you more light tho yeah? As in more lumens?

I want to go the 6000k as well, but I'm concerned that the low beams already seems fairly dull to me. If the 50 watt versions put out more light (even at the higher colour temp) that would be awesum!

I don know f I wantto replace the factory ballasts thou

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

So has anyone replaces the factory d2s bulbs and ballasts for 55w ballasts???

Don't see why you couldn't... replace the ballasts, maybe the fuse as well if its too small, put in the new bulbs, connect em back to the ballasts. Viola?

Having never done it of course

you need 55w balasts to achieve 55w out of the 55w bulbs

55w bulbs on 35w ballasts will only ever be 35w

R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Very Nice...

cool alternative.. would definatly do that if i didnt need the light output from my fog lenses

Hey Ranton, just a quick question with your angel eyes, where did you get them from and how did you install them?

Are they running off ur parkers?

Cause im thinking of installing angel eyes then maybe adding some LED stripping and just using them as parking lights.

Regards
    James

hey man

i got them from either

dabears2k.com or therpmstore.com

i cant quite remember but they sell the same kit..

I installed them myself.. and i disabled my Park lights...

so i use them as my parklights

Its also a good oportunity while the headlight is apart to paint that ugly orange reflector black!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast