User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powerchip

As much as I welcome new tuning solutions for the platform, I just worry about this one, firstly because of the postage factor, assuming it arrives & is returned safely you will be without your car for a few days, if it gets lost or damaged in transit, you're up for the cost of a new ECU, or if you were smart enough to send it insured registered post, Im sure there would be a lengthy delay in processing your claim, can you risk living without your car for weeks while the red tape is being handled by Aust post, I cant.

And as per magoo's comments, people baulk at the concept of soldering an interceptor into the cars abundant wiring loom, wires are easily repaired or replaced if you f*ck up, but will merrily let someone solder a piggyback chip into their ECU where there is no margin for error.
    Modern ECU's have such fine components and multi layered PCBs, one wrong bit of concentrated heat from a soldering iron could melt something vitally important (like an airbag trigger circuit), there is good reason these things are assembled by robots and this shouldnt be tampered with.

Sorry to play devils advocate, but this just seems to be a backward step from an Xede or similar device.

I think your right Matt, waaaaay too many variables for a disaster to occur........

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    How do you come to this conclusion?

Not even a flash, old school solder in chip. No throttle control either so how does this become similar to piasini?

Also everybody complained about 2 aspects of piasini.

1/ No Dyno Charts
    2/ Posting of ecu

Powerchip requires the removal and posting of your ecu and the Dyno is Pie in the sky. Cols so called dyno is just a generic Powerchip blurb, not his own dyno.

Im surprised at all the excitement.

1/ People want flash options over interceptors notably for the lack of cutting/intrusion around the ecu. Yet people are willing to permanently solder a chip?

2/ Cols power figures (no offence to you Col personally) are based on ricer math. 220kw (claimed) + 8kw + 4 kw = 232kw. Any body with any knowledge knows that this is not how things play out.

Personally stick to the Xede/Standback or look at CT flash.
    I think they are giving incorrect data. I do not believe they are soldering onto the actual ECU, infact I don't believe there is any soldering involved. If they have the ability to flash the ECU there is absolutely no need for any additional hardware. The person on the phone either didn't know what they were talking about or intentionally talking it up. Or I may be wrong and they may have some hybrid system which noone knows about...some kind of xede piasini Frankenstein.

My comments are based on the documentation provided and the dyno on page 12 of the document which is EXACTLY the same as COL 2's. Either it is COL 2's dyno or they're using the same 'dyno' chart for all their customers and didn't actually put COL 2's car on the rollers. This makes things very suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj
    1) 1 or 2 psi Boost increase
    2) Further advanced ignition timing
    3) Based on COL 2's dyno - no wide open throttle
    4) Tweaks to the low and high load maps (unlikely to have increased fueling at low rpm high load)
    5) Modifications to the Throttle - Requested Load tables to smooth out throttle response
    1) Always the first thing people do, and the quickest/easiest way to bump up power
    2) See page 6 of PDF - Modified Spark Advance
    3) Look at how the peak HP drops at 5500 rpm and imagine how far it drops to at 6500 rpm
    4) See page 3 of PDF - Torque
    5) See page 4 of PDF - On Road Development

There's nothing new about this Powerchip that any of the other flashes didn't do 1 year ago. I guess it's just that we don't have many choices in Aus that people have latched onto this as it's 'new' and exciting. I may give them a call to find out more info.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Ohh and I forgot.

Didnt we have a previous uproar about the inadequency of a one size fits all product (piasini etc)? Whats changed now?

So we have -

1/ Non tuneable one size fits all
    2/ No of cams/throttle plate etc
    3/ No independant (real) Dynos
    4/ Solder in/Non removeable/permanent, so zero ability to return to stock
    5/ Local Support an unknown quantity
    6/ Danger of above #5
    7/ Unknown response to further common mods - TBE - TMIC/FMIC - Fuel pumps - CAI etc etc etc etc
    8/ Expensive - $1800?

And the sudden attraction is????

Id stay with the proven Xede/Standback if you want fixed interceptors or look at the CT Flash and the up coming ECUedit if you want software/flash only.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    I think they are giving incorrect data. I do not believe they are soldering onto the actual ECU, infact I don't believe there is any soldering involved. If they have the ability to flash the ECU there is absolutely no need for any additional hardware. The person on the phone either didn't know what they were talking about or intentionally talking it up. Or I may be wrong and they may have some hybrid system which noone knows about...some kind of xede piasini Frankenstein.

My comments are based on the documentation provided and the dyno on page 12 of the document which is EXACTLY the same as COL 2's. Either it is COL 2's dyno or they're using the same 'dyno' chart for all their customers and didn't actually put COL 2's car on the rollers. This makes things very suspicious.

1) Always the first thing people do, and the quickest/easiest way to bump up power
    2) See page 6 of PDF - Modified Spark Advance
    3) Look at how the peak HP drops at 5500 rpm and imagine how far it drops to at 6500 rpm
    4) See page 3 of PDF - Torque
    5) See page 4 of PDF - On Road Development

There's nothing new about this Powerchip that any of the other flashes didn't do 1 year ago. I guess it's just that we don't have many choices in Aus that people have latched onto this as it's 'new' and exciting. I may give them a call to find out more info.
    Cols dyno?? they never even had his bloody car!! Its a proported Crank KW - Did they pull Cols engine and put it on an engine (not Chassis) dyno??

Come on
    Last edited by magoo; 04-08-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Woah woah, relax mate, we're both saying the same thing. I was giving the 'dyno' (notice the little apostrophes) the benefit of the doubt and didn't realise COL didn't sent his away rather than take it to a shop.

Read my comments again, I'm not particularly a fan of this product.

Not directed at you at all mate. Not defending my old Piasini Flash but venting frustration at the hypocrisy of our MPS community. One day we slam a product and its agent (which has its advantages over this Chip), 6-12 months later we're all exited about this flawed product.

Bizarre

Such is the way of the forums I guess, the flash did have some PR issues care of its Australian agent, which effectively was the downfall of the product, not wanting to bring old news into light again, but I just dont understand why $160 for a couple of dyno runs was such a big ask from the public, and has potentially cost a lot more in sales.....anyway I digress.

The new product is slowly heading down the same path as piasini, mind you we are basing a lot of our opinions on heresay (yes we did it with them too), lets see what processes are actually involved, and what real world gains are achievable and let the public make their own opinions, I have my reservations and doubts, but I will happily admit I am wrong if this is the case.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

The main issue though is given what we do know about tuning, there is only so much that can be done i.e. tweak this table or that value. It either works or it doesn't. The main issue will be the actual tune provided and aside from them telling us exactly what they changed, getting some datalogs, or we get say ECUEdit or the Cobb AP to read the tables, we won't really know too much about the tunes. People were expecting alot a year ago, maybe time has lowered people's expectations.

I still have no doubt it my mind, dyno + road tuned flashes/standbacks will outperform a one size fits all flash, but this may be something some of the less hardcore members will want to look at. Having said that, the less hardcore members are probably not as willing to remove their ECU and ship it off.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12